Cyclist Bashed

Old January 29th 07, 09:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Craig Strong

Default Cyclist Bashed

Article from Todays Geelong Advertiser

Cyclist road rage bashing

Daniel Breen

29Jan07

TWO men armed themselves with a baseball bat and metal chains before
bashing a cyclist in broad daylight.

In what police described as an act of road rage, the men set upon the
cyclist in Victoria St about 4.55pm Saturday. The cyclist, a
36-year-old North Geelong man, suffered extensive head injuries from
the afternoon assault.

Detective Senior Constable Damian McKeegan, of Corio CIU, said the
assault occurred 10 minutes after an argument between the cyclist and
the driver of a blue Mitsubishi in the North Geelong street.

``Words have been exchanged in regards to the driver's speed. Both
parties have then gone their own way but about 10 minutes later the
cyclist has been met by the driver and the passenger in Victoria St and
a fight has taken place between the parties,'' Det Sen-Constable
McKeegan said.

``The driver had armed himself with a baseball bat.''

``He has then had a swing at the cyclist and a tussle between the two
followed. While they were on the ground the passenger has punched the
cyclist in the back of the head and at this stage it appears that he
had chain wrapped around his knuckles.''

Det Sen-Constable McKeegan said the last punch left the man with
serious cuts to the back of his head and appealed for witnesses to
contact police.

``He received cuts and abrasions to the back of his head, lacerations
to his right ear and his left eye was gauged,'' he said.

``There were witnesses at the scene and we're also seeking information
from anyone else who may have seen the incident or the Mitsibishi
sedan.''

Anyone with information can contact Corio CIU on 5273 9575.

--
Craig Strong

Old January 29th 07, 10:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

unfcknblvbl

I was reminded recently of an old habit of taking a jersey pocket full
of fishing sinkers for ammo to deal with aggressive drivers. Seems a
bit like taking a knife to a gunfight now. And gun-fights seem to be
where things are headed .. ..

--
monsterman

Old January 29th 07, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Link to Geelong Advertiser article:
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...1105_news.html

I'll attempt to find out a bit more about this fcuking appalling
incident.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 29th 07, 11:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

Bogan (Straya) day weekend, kids....

--
LotteBum

Old January 29th 07, 11:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

I don't argue with drivers anymore. I just point to their number
plate, and make sure they know that I have taken a note of their
number plate and will report them to the police. It's really dangerous
to argue, and very unlikely to produce any change in the behaviour of
the driver.

Of course, as the kharma wheel turns, inside the body of the baseball
hat holder a small but active cancer has begun to grow. There you
go :-)

Old January 30th 07, 12:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz

AndrewJ Wrote:
I don't argue with drivers anymore.

yep you can't win.... ends up like that, like you said make a note of
the license plate if it is a real bad situation.

I'm still trying to figure out what is worse the bashing or the
Witnesses, just witnessing it..... I guess it depends on the situation,
but I would of thought if I saw someone in a situation like that I would
try and help them out.

--
MikeyOz

Old January 30th 07, 12:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

MikeyOz Wrote:
yep you can't win.... ends up like that, like you said make a note of
the license plate if it is a real bad situation.

I'm still trying to figure out what is worse the bashing or the
Witnesses, just witnessing it..... I guess it depends on the situation,
but I would of thought if I saw someone in a situation like that I would
try and help them out.

bldyfknunblvbel... premeditated...if that isnt a jail sentence when
caught what is!

a key hole camera in the helmet would have helped the investigation no
end..wont stop a bashing but the cops would be pleased to see the
footage..
riding 101...never get mad!!! just get even!!!

witnesses... each of us may be different but in my experience ( here in
Oz, in Asia, Europe and Nth Amer. ) witnesses only tend to put their
hand up when their blood is involved...

--
rooman

Old January 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Jan 30, 11:08 am, MikeyOz MikeyOz.2l7...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
AndrewJ Wrote:

I don't argue with drivers anymore.yep you can't win.... ends up like that, like you said make a note of

the license plate if it is a real bad situation.

I'm still trying to figure out what is worse the bashing or the
Witnesses, just witnessing it..... I guess it depends on the situation,
but I would of thought if I saw someone in a situation like that I would
try and help them out.

yes.. and no. It of course depends on if the bystanders were a busload
from the old folks home or the olympic judo team on a tour.

If you can't get a few burly bystanders to help, there's no point
going in by yourself. These guys had a baseball bat + chain. Much
better to do something like call police, note numberplate, possibly
even steal car keys and drop them down a drain whilst they're not
looking.

Hope they get the fckers

Old January 30th 07, 02:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

AndrewJ Wrote:

Of course, as the kharma wheel turns, inside the body of the baseball
hat holder a small but active cancer has begun to grow. There you
go :-)

Bought a car just the other day,
Man could that baby run,
But you know what they always say,
There's always a better one,
Got a tumor in my brain,
It's creeping to my lungs,
Man, I've searched around in vain,
Can't find me a better one.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 30th 07, 02:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Duncan wrote:
If you can't get a few burly bystanders to help, there's no point
going in by yourself. These guys had a baseball bat + chain. Much
better to do something like call police, note numberplate, possibly
even steal car keys and drop them down a drain whilst they're not
looking.

I don't know. I stepped in once where the choice was watch someone get
killed in a head kicking or do something. My solution was to run like an
absolute lunatic straight at the group, while the wife called the
police. If they had weapons I might have re-thought that approach, but
it worked at the time.

DaveB

Bush bashed by bike Grazza Australia 0 February 28th 06 01:43 AM
McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy Shabby Australia 14 October 26th 05 12:23 AM
No one told me... French bashed at Melbourne hotel Tamyka Bell Australia 1 November 23rd 04 12:23 AM
Wanted - Electric Scooter (crashed, bashed - anything as long as it goes!) Ex Alfa Adam Marketplace 1 June 1st 04 05:11 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM