Do you enjoy the ride on the road, or just survive it?

Old August 5th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Do you enjoy the ride on the road, or just survive it?

You know, there's people who ride a bull and enjoy it, and there are
cyclists out there (messengers and other daredevils) who I'm sure
"enjoy" riding in danger. But for many of us, mundane cyclists if you
will, the bully behind the wheel is to be feared and we simply
"survive" the ride and are happy to be alive at the point of
destination.

Do you count yourself among the bull riders, or among those who wished
we could keep the bully far away?

First Decree of the Revolution: Cyclists shall TAKE THE LANE as law-
abiding vehicles, with colorful clothing, and all other vehicles shall
leave the lane 30' before and after the bicycle.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old August 5th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
"There are laws here that says, motorists can't pass bicycles within
1.5 meters. They hit you they are violating that rule. we think that
makes us comparately safe.. Still, i like country roads where you are
not distracted by the sounds of cars. Whats not to enjoy."

***

That's over 4 feet, quite a record for America. That's Europe, right?

Anyway, here in America laws are ignored all the time.
Old August 5th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Aug 5, 1:28*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
You know, there's people who ride a bull and enjoy it, and there are
cyclists out there (messengers and other daredevils) who I'm sure
"enjoy" riding in danger. But for many of us, mundane cyclists if you
will, the bully behind the wheel is to be feared and we simply
"survive" the ride and are happy to be alive at the point of
destination.

Do you count yourself among the bull riders, or among those who wished
we could keep the bully far away?

I don't find riding on the road to be unpleasant at all. I feel safer
there than I do on a path shared with dog-walkers for instance, just
because I have more room to maneuver. Traffic tends to be light
during the hours that I can ride; that probably helps.

nate

Old August 5th 09, 06:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
21trumpets

On Aug 5, 1:28*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
You know, there's people who ride a bull and enjoy it, and there are
cyclists out there (messengers and other daredevils) who I'm sure
"enjoy" riding in danger. But for many of us, mundane cyclists if you
will, the bully behind the wheel is to be feared and we simply
"survive" the ride and are happy to be alive at the point of
destination.

Do you count yourself among the bull riders, or among those who wished
we could keep the bully far away?

There's two things I do to keep cars clear of me while being passed.
(Doesn't work with large trucks)
Get a left hand mirror and use it to see who's coming up on you as you
ride
almost in the centre of the lane.
As the car approaches, move right to let it pass but do a slight
wobble so the
driver can see you.
The car will slow down and pass you with room to spare.
With big trucks I usually move right over and ride the sidewalk
between curb cuts.
Then come back onto the road after it passes.

Old August 5th 09, 07:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
JP

"21trumpets" wrote in message
[...]

I have a mirror on my helmet and when I see cars I do the wobble too,
enough to give the impression that I may not be a great rider.
Helps that I dress like Fred.

Worst are mothers on cellphones driving oversized SUVs.
Lots of them on Long Island.

JP

Old August 5th 09, 07:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

As an experienced cyclist who has ridden the same neighborhood for roughly
forty years, I feel totally at home on the road, although I am always,
ALWAYS aware that anything can go wrong at any time. When I ride alone, I
am much more comfortable on the road than when I ride with my wife, a
lightly-seasoned rider, as I feel the need to ride TWO bicycles at the same
time.

Old August 5th 09, 07:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jon Bendtsen

ComandanteBanana wrote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
"There are laws here that says, motorists can't pass bicycles within
1.5 meters. They hit you they are violating that rule. we think that
makes us comparately safe.. Still, i like country roads where you are
not distracted by the sounds of cars. Whats not to enjoy."

***

That's over 4 feet, quite a record for America. That's Europe, right?

no, the 4 feet is a small safety margin to compensate for all the
"wide" american people ;-)
Old August 5th 09, 08:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 5, 2:16*pm, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
"There are laws here that says, motorists can't pass bicycles within
1.5 meters. They hit you they are violating that rule. we think that
makes us comparately safe.. Still, i like country roads where you are
not distracted by the sounds of cars. Whats not to enjoy."

***

That's over 4 feet, quite a record for America. That's Europe, right?

no, the 4 feet is a small safety margin to compensate for all the
"wide" american people ;-)

Also wide as in Superwide Unnecessary Vehicles...

Just yesterday this car moves slightly onto the next lane and he gets
punished with a horn blast for being weak. So you start wondering
where do YOU (the guy in the skinny bike) fit.

Old August 5th 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 5, 1:48*pm, N8N wrote:
On Aug 5, 1:28*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:

You know, there's people who ride a bull and enjoy it, and there are
cyclists out there (messengers and other daredevils) who I'm sure
"enjoy" riding in danger. But for many of us, mundane cyclists if you
will, the bully behind the wheel is to be feared and we simply
"survive" the ride and are happy to be alive at the point of
destination.

Do you count yourself among the bull riders, or among those who wished
we could keep the bully far away?

I don't find riding on the road to be unpleasant at all. *I feel safer
there than I do on a path shared with dog-walkers for instance, just
because I have more room to maneuver. *Traffic tends to be light
during the hours that I can ride; that probably helps.

nate

People who do it early when traffic is light, do it for pleasure. If
you commute, chances are you must be able to handle rush hour...
Old August 5th 09, 08:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Smith[_4_]

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:28:54 -0700, ComandanteBanana wis temporarily
glaikit then blurted oot this wisdom:

You know, there's people who ride a bull and enjoy it, and there are
cyclists out there (messengers and other daredevils) who I'm sure
"enjoy" riding in danger. But for many of us, mundane cyclists if you
will, the bully behind the wheel is to be feared and we simply "survive"
the ride and are happy to be alive at the point of destination.

Do you count yourself among the bull riders, or among those who wished
we could keep the bully far away?

First Decree of the Revolution: Cyclists shall TAKE THE LANE as law-
abiding vehicles, with colorful clothing, and all other vehicles shall
leave the lane 30' before and after the bicycle.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

I enjoy riding on the roads, even during rush hour. Started cycling
rather slowly and shakily 4 months ago (at age 40), and now find myself
gradually getting quicker. The more speed, the more confident I am
dealing with traffic, as my differential with other road users drops. On
the daily commute, it has been fun to out-accelerate vehicles from
traffic lights, and sometimes even beat them to the next red, touching
30mph along the way. I really ought to slow down at my age. ;-)

--
My dynamic calendar - http://www.1r5.net