Tosser no 3

Old April 22nd 05, 08:09 PM
geepeetee

Default Tosser no 3

Hi

I have been commuting 15 miles round trip for 3 years or so now and have had
my fair share of doors opened and cars pull out into my path.

This afternoon coming home the 'long' was as the sun was shining (13 miles
as opposed to 7.5) there was a ford flatbed 3 tonner waiting to pull out of
a junction to pull onto the main drag i was on.

I noticed there were 2 youths as passengers with their shirts off (looking
'cool' no doubt).

As they passed me (going in the same direction) i got hit by an egg in the
face (bloody hurt too).

I must admit i have never encountered this type of rage before, totally
unprovoked. Is it common?

In my shock and removing my sunglasses (splattered with egg) all i got of
the reg plate was a P reg (white flatbed loaded with pallets), although i
don't suppose plod would have done anything anyway.

Gary

visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk

Old April 22nd 05, 08:51 PM
Adrian Boliston

"geepeetee" wrote:

As they passed me (going in the same direction) i got hit by an egg
in the face (bloody hurt too).

Ouch! I must admit that I sometimes worry about someone throwing something
at me from an *oncoming* vehicle, but I would have thought that for someone
to chuck something from a "same direction" vehicle there would likely be
telltale warning signs like them trying to match your speed rather than
overtaking or keeping behind, and generally I will tend to automatically
adjust my speed to avoid being alongside a vehicle, as such a vehicle would
present risk to a cyclist even if they were not up to any "tricks".

Old April 22nd 05, 09:50 PM
Dave Kahn

geepeetee wrote:
Hi

I have been commuting 15 miles round trip for 3 years or so now and have had
my fair share of doors opened and cars pull out into my path.

This afternoon coming home the 'long' was as the sun was shining (13 miles
as opposed to 7.5) there was a ford flatbed 3 tonner waiting to pull out of
a junction to pull onto the main drag i was on.

I noticed there were 2 youths as passengers with their shirts off (looking
'cool' no doubt).

As they passed me (going in the same direction) i got hit by an egg in the
face (bloody hurt too).

I must admit i have never encountered this type of rage before, totally
unprovoked. Is it common?

Yes, very common. I've been hit by three eggs with the last 12 months or
so. One from an oncoming car bounced off my chest leaving a bruise and
smashed on the ground. One from an overtaking car with false number
plates broke over my "lower back". More recently one from a car stopped
just behind me at the lights which then bravely roared away at high
speed. This was a really wimpy throw, the egg dropping off my arm (I
thought it was balled up paper for a moment) and breaking on the ground.

It's only a matter of time before a cyclist loses an eye or worse.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells
Old April 22nd 05, 09:51 PM
Chris Eilbeck

The *******s!

I must admit i have never encountered this type of rage before,
totally unprovoked. Is it common?

I had a water balloon thrown at me going past a school the other day.
They were **** though and managed to miss a target this size.

In my shock and removing my sunglasses (splattered with egg) all i
got of the reg plate was a P reg (white flatbed loaded with
pallets), although i don't suppose plod would have done anything
anyway.

Unlikely unfortunately. Chances are they bought the eggs just so they
could throw them at people too.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
Old April 22nd 05, 10:11 PM
Dave Kahn

Adrian Boliston wrote:
"geepeetee" wrote:

As they passed me (going in the same direction) i got hit by an egg
in the face (bloody hurt too).

Ouch! I must admit that I sometimes worry about someone throwing something
at me from an *oncoming* vehicle, but I would have thought that for someone
to chuck something from a "same direction" vehicle there would likely be
telltale warning signs like them trying to match your speed rather than
overtaking or keeping behind, and generally I will tend to automatically
adjust my speed to avoid being alongside a vehicle, as such a vehicle would
present risk to a cyclist even if they were not up to any "tricks".

I have been hit by an egg thrown from an overtaking car, and I can tell
you there is no warning whatsoever. The passenger leans out the window
and lets fly as they overtake you. You feel the impact and hear the
crash of the shell before you realise what's happening or where it's
come from. When an egg hit my backside I initially thought they'd broken
a beer bottle over me. The crash is that loud and the impact that hard.

I very nearly caught up with that car as it got delayed in traffic at
the top of the next hill. If I had got alongside it and the window had
still been open I would have had the rear seat passenger's head out into
the street with or without the rest of him still attached. I would, I
expect, have got myself into trouble with the law. The car was showing a
false number plate incidentally.

Being hit in the face by a missile from an oncoming car could be
extremely serious. You don't need to be a whiz at maths to work out what
the closing speed of an egg and your eyeball could be. And you do not
see the missile coming, especially at night. These days I nearly always
wear tough eye protection while cycling. Much, much, much more important
than a Martlehat in my view.

Old April 22nd 05, 10:20 PM
Cliff

"geepeetee" wrote in message
[...]

Had a empty Coke Bottle thrown at me once as a car passed. Glad they aren't
glass anymore.

Cliff

Old April 23rd 05, 07:42 AM
Peter B

"geepeetee" wrote in message
I must admit i have never encountered this type of rage before, totally
unprovoked. Is it common?

Touch wood I've only been sprayed with beer up to now IIRC.
I must admit the alarm bells sounded on Thurs eve when a loaded Chavmobile
passed me slowly on a country lane, I was half expecting it to be parked up
further on with some mischief in store for me, but I think it was just
knackered. (I was formulating a plan to take the initiative and do some
serious damage to the first one I could get hold of if the better option of
riding away was not open to me).

Some years ago when riding my mtb through a rougher area a group of youths
departed the pavement and made a bee-line for me, I noticed the ringleaders
slag pulling his arm and they headed back to the pavement, I got the feeling
they may have been about to relieve me of the bike.

Pete

Old April 23rd 05, 09:16 AM
Tony Raven

Peter B wrote:

Some years ago when riding my mtb through a rougher area a group of youths
departed the pavement and made a bee-line for me, I noticed the ringleaders
slag pulling his arm and they headed back to the pavement, I got the feeling
they may have been about to relieve me of the bike.

Over 30 years ago I used to regularly have bricks and stones thrown at
me cycling through Moss Side in Manchester. So nothing new there.

Tony
Old April 23rd 05, 09:37 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony Raven wrote:

Over 30 years ago I used to regularly have bricks and stones thrown at
me cycling through Moss Side in Manchester. So nothing new there.

There's currently a thread on the C+ forum entitled "Crappiest place
you've ridden"...maybe you should add yours!
Old April 23rd 05, 09:52 AM
Simon Mason

"geepeetee" wrote in message

I must admit i have never encountered this type of rage before, totally
unprovoked. Is it common?

I've had a few cans and bottles thrown at me, usually as the car has passed.

--
Simon Mason

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Tosser no.2 Tim Hall UK 13 April 26th 05 09:21 AM
Tosser wafflycat UK 38 April 23rd 05 09:42 AM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 12:09 PM
Blinded by the light elyob UK 301 October 4th 03 05:34 PM