Habanero shows up curved stays

Old April 17th 17, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Habanero shows up curved stays

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 12:42:48 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-16 12:33, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:33:43 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Been to a department store lately? You'd be hard pressed to find rim
brake shoes in there.

Snipped

Up here I can go into any department store and buy brake pads for cantilever, road or V-brakes.

During my last visit to the Walmart in Placerville about two month ago I
looked and saw ... nada, zip, zilch. Our Sears doesn't even carry
bicycle parts anymore.

Funny. Monday is my wife's "shopping day" and we usually visit several
very large stores. The first place that sells a very broad range of
stuff from fresh chicken to PVC plumbing pipe had bicycle rim brake
pads. The second place was Tesco Lotus (ask a Brit about Tesco) and
they had rim brake pads and finally a sort of copy-cat of Tesco named
"Big C" and Lo! They had brake pads also. By the way, the first place
had your cheap Thai made tires for 129 baht each, about $3.76 at
today's exchange rate.

You 'mericans must have very limited shopping facilities.

Old April 17th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Sir Ridesalot wrote in
:

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:33:43 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Been to a department store lately? You'd be hard pressed to find rim
brake shoes in there.

Snipped

Up here I can go into any department store and buy brake pads for
cantilever, road or V-brakes.

Really? If you consider mec.ca a department store, I suppose so. It never
occurred to me to look for parts in Sears or at The Bay. We're only 450 Km
apart, and around here even Canadian Tire is unlikely to have anything other
than V-brake shoes.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search...icycle%20brake
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 17th 17, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-17 01:28, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 07:18:59 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-15 19:03, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:25:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-14 20:03, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 07:15:49 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-04-13 16:19, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:37:11 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On April 13, 2017, jbeattie wrote:

- snip snippy snip-
I so wish someone would offer an o-ringed bike chain. To
hell with efficiency and all that, I just want to ride and
not start hearing squeaks after every little rain.

I am not an expert but a quick perusal of motorcycle chain
seems to
indicate that o-ring 1/2" pitch chain exists. For any
single speed or
internal gearbox setup, a wider chain would work just fine
as long as
it's 1/2".

Unfortunately my bikes are all derailer types, two with
7-speed and one 10-speed (but that could be "downgraded"). I
really don't want to spend 1.5 kilobucks on a Rohloff.

There will never be an o-ring derailleur chain, requirements for those
two formats being diametrically opposed.

Never say never. That's what people told us with intravascular
ultrasound and then we made it happen. Even HP had thrown in the towel.

Regarding getting sideways-moving or bending things to seal one of the
pioneers was Andre Citroen. Folks said that front wheel drive is a
stupid idea because of the steering, that it would never last, yet he
and his engineers did it. Despite the fact that back then they did not
have all the moderns silicone materials and other stuff that we take for
granted. Unfortunately he died from cancer at a young age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-...tion_avant.jpg

I had its tiny little brother when I was young. The technology in there
was simple but amazing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0288067%29.jpg

I hate to disagree but the first front wheel drive "automobile" seems
to be sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette
with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the
vehicle, powering the front axle.

Then we have the French manufacturer Société Parisienne patented, in
1898/9, their front-wheel drive articulated vehicle concept which they
manufactured as a Victoria Combination.

Ad then we have J. Walter Christie of the United States who patented a
design for a front-wheel-drive car, the first prototype of which he
built in 1904. He promoted and demonstrated the vehicle by racing at
various speedways in the United States, and even competed in the 1906
Vanderbilt Cup and the French Grand Prix. In 1912

And then we have the supercharged Alvis 12/50 racing car designed by
George Thomas Smith-Clarke and William M. Dunn of Alvis Cars of the
United Kingdom in 1925.

Oh yes, there was the Miller 122 front-wheel-drive racecar that was
entered in the 1925 Indianapolis 500.

And of course, in 1929. The BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company)
produced the unique front-wheel-drive BSA three-wheeler. Production
continued until 1936.

In 1931 the DKW F1 from Germany made its debut. Buckminster Fuller
adopted rear-engine, front wheel drive for his three Dymaxion Car
prototypes. Other German car producers followed: Stoewer offered a car
with front-wheel drive in 1931, Adler in 1932 and Audi in 1933.

And, finally, in 1934, the very successful Traction Avant cars were
introduced by Citroën of France.

Some 40 years after the first front wheel drive automobile

I didn't say he invented front-wheel drive. What he did was engineer a
solution that would finally fix the main reliability issues with front
wheel drive. To me a lot of importance is in the achievement of truly
"reducing a method to practice", not just inventing something nice but
actually making it last.

The DKW was the first true series production front-wheel drive car.
Still, only 4000 were made in total. Not much to write home about.
Citroen made way more than twice than many. Per year, except when German
bombers flattened parts of the plant. Many of those are still rolling on
the streets today.

http://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasi...-63351581.html

In the 80's and 90's I have seen some of them in France that were
clearly used for transportation and not as collector's cars. Dull paint,
lots of dents, untreated corrosion, worn out seats, smoking engines.

I was remarking on your statement: "one of the
pioneers was Andre Citroen. Folks said that front wheel drive is a
stupid idea because of the steering, that it would never last, yet he
and his engineers did it."

He wasn't a pioneer, he was, in automobile terms, a late comer to the
front drive playing ground..

As I said, with "did it" I meant he made it truly work. Would good does
a technology do if there is no meaningful production volume behind it or
it breaks down all the time? Then it's usually just another pie in the sky.

Sounds great.... but I'm sorry to say that I've seen a great many
front wheel drive vehicles that did not copy the Citroen front wheel
drive mechanism and worked very well indeed.

Doing it after someone else truly reduced it to practice is rather simple.

... From what little I've
read Citroen's major achievement was the 2CV which was a copy of the
Henry Ford concept - built a car so cheap that anyone can afford it.

Then you haven't understood Citroen's concept :-)

I had a 2CV. That was a car they built for farmers but it became sort of
a cult-vehicle and it is very different from a Ford back then. Yes, has
front-wheel drive as well.

Now I am not a big Citroen fan even though I owned one. The quality of
the rest of the vehicle IMHO left something to be desires. Corrosion was
a major problem and that is how my 2CV ultimatley came to grief. It ran
great but could no longer pass the mandatory road worthiness test. I
have to hand it to them though that the road handling of their cars is
supreme, including and especially on nasty road surfaces. Like we often
have in California where I sometimes fear it'll shake my road bike apart.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 17th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2017-04-16 12:33, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Ah, in Thailand. That's a very different place compared to here. A place
where people still service their own vehicles like they did here in the
good old days. I suspect the key reason why you can hardly find brake
pads in stores other than (some) bike shops is that most people in the
US would buy a new $199 bicycle at the department store and ride it
maybe five miles, realize that now all sorts of muscles ache, and then
it sits in the garage until some yard sale 10 years later. Servicing
such a bike? Not gonna happen.

You 'mericans must have very limited shopping facilities.

Definitely. Not at all limited in selection but in what is sold there.
Except for motor vehicles and hardware stores where there are lots of
stores all over the place that sell all sorts of parts.

I remember when I could go to places like Walmart and buy a replacement
bicycle tire there. They had a fairly good selection. No more, the last
times I was there they had none at all. Only complete bicycles,
including some nice ones for the casual rider.

Old April 17th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-17 06:40, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote in
:

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:33:43 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Been to a department store lately? You'd be hard pressed to find rim
brake shoes in there.

Snipped

Up here I can go into any department store and buy brake pads for
cantilever, road or V-brakes.

Really? If you consider mec.ca a department store, I suppose so. It never
occurred to me to look for parts in Sears or at The Bay. We're only 450 Km
apart, and around here even Canadian Tire is unlikely to have anything other
than V-brake shoes.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search...icycle%20brake

Not so ...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/su...7450p.html#srp

Old April 17th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Joerg wrote in
:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/su...ke-pads-073745
0p.html#srp

Fairly caught, Sir; those would have popped up for my search if Crappy Tire
were more consistent in their cataloguing.

Mind you, if you're riding a Supercycle, you're taking your life in your
hands.
Old April 17th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Joerg wrote in
:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/su...ke-pads-073745
0p.html#srp

Fairly caught, Sir; those would have popped up for my search if Crappy Tire
were more consistent in their cataloguing.

Mind you, if you're riding a Supercycle, you're taking your life in your
hands.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

All I know is that if I go into a department store around here that sells bikes, then i can usually find brake shoes for cantilever,V-brakes and or road bike brake shoes. I VERY SELDOM see disc brake pads in a department store.Joerg lives in a strange area where EVERYTHING is contrary to whatthe vast majority of bicyclists experience anywhere else.

Cheers
Old April 17th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-17 09:09, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Andrew Chaplin
wrote:
Joerg wrote in
:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/su...ke-pads-073745

0p.html#srp

Fairly caught, Sir; those would have popped up for my search if
Crappy Tire were more consistent in their cataloguing.

They sell both rim brake pads and disc brake pads. Even rotors. We don't
have that kind of store in our area. Ours are strictly auto like this one:

https://www.lesschwab.com/

If you key in bicycle all you get is "There is no result for your
search. Please try again with other terms".

Mind you, if you're riding a Supercycle, you're taking your life in
your hands. -- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO
MARTINO (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get
"yourfinger." out.)

All I know is that if I go into a department store around here that
sells bikes, then i can usually find brake shoes for
cantilever,V-brakes and or road bike brake shoes. I VERY SELDOM see
disc brake pads in a department store.Joerg lives in a strange area
where EVERYTHING is contrary to whatthe vast majority of bicyclists
experience anywhere else.

Just travel to Placerville and walk into the Walmart, then see for
yourself. Yes, that is a department store. Yes, they sell lots of
bicycles. No, they did not have any brake pads.

Old April 17th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-04-17 09:09, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Andrew Chaplin
wrote:
Joerg wrote in
:

[...]

I find it simply astounding that you choose to live in an area that is so detrimental to your desires for recreation or to your ability to do that recreational activity.

Cheers

Curved Spine from trials lpounds Unicycling 12 August 26th 08 06:54 PM
Triangular curved spokes! [email protected] Techniques 0 May 23rd 07 06:52 AM
Curved seat stays Nobody Techniques 16 May 8th 05 11:35 AM
curved bmx seatpost on a coker teachndad Unicycling 0 January 31st 05 08:49 AM
curved or straight frames? Worminton Unicycling 16 July 18th 04 01:18 PM