proper shoes

Old April 20th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hydrophidian

Default proper shoes

Just wondering if there are any specific types of shoes that are
better for unicycling? I understand that it's probably all up to
personal preference but I'm sure that some would be better or worse,
depending on what kind of riding you were doing.

I'm only asking this because, I just had an unfortunate accident on a
Torker dx. My foot slipped off of the pedal and took half of the sole
of my DC skateboarding shoe with it. I switched to my boots but, now I
find it harder to feel the pedals.

I realise that the pedals were designed for muni riding. My mistake.
At least it only took the shoe apart and not my shin.

I'm really not a fan of those pedals. Being a beginner, I find it
nearly impossible to adjust my footing. I'm also pretty large and have
large feet so, in my boots, my heel has a tendancy to hit the crank
arm when it comes around but, I can't just slide it over. I guess that
learning how to ride on something like this will make it easier when I
get somethng more proper.

-Rico
Old April 20th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

Hi!

Try all make some shoes for bike trial. The sole of bike trials shoes
are very abrasive.

Yoggi made one model of the same shoe, but with a skateboard sole...
Some K1 riders use this shoes... but i never used one...!

But they are pretty expensive, I think they cost about 100 euros!

Bye!

--
pedrotejada

Unicycle in Brazil!
São Paulo-SP

Sorry about the terrible english!
Old April 20th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

For muni i wear light walking boots, the tread allows for good grip and
the stepped sole will keep the pedal more or less in place all by
itself. Skate shoes are designed for standing on a large, grippy,
perfectly flat surface (a skateboard) and therefore aren't particularly
good at standing on a small slippery surface (a metal pedal).

--
kington99

Dave

Old April 20th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
catinabag1

i agree with kington. i too wear a light hiking shoe i got at gi joes
for $30. the sole is super grippy and with the pins on the pedals i get
great traction.

--
catinabag1

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Rules!
Old April 20th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

I always wear skate shoes when I ride. So far the best ones I've found
for unicycling are the Osiris Private Reserve Clints. They are great.

In my opinion, these are things a good unicycling shoe should have:

1. a thick sole (saves the bottom of your feet from bruises.

2. Padded sides and top (important for just about everything,
specifically flatland though.

3. The sole should have tread that is fairly solid if you are using
pinned pedals and doing big drops (although anything above six feet or
so hurts regardless). I think that Vans tread sucks for drops because
since the pins go into the holes, you only really get a tiny bit of
rubber cushioning.

Other things that are nice but not necessary a

Shoelace protector type thing (so that the laces don't get caught in
the wheel), and high or medium top shoes, for ankle protection.

I hope this helps a little,
Miles

--
mornish

email: mornish at gmail dot com
'The National Dept Clock' (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/)
'definitely' (http://d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/)
'California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2008'
(http://cmw08.blogspot.com/)
Old April 20th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

I like standard converse all stars for unicycling because the sole is so
flimsy that it can wrap around the pedal (to some degree), despite
this, the converse will fall apart FAST if you are a trials junkie

--
lpounds

'Levi' (http://tinyurl.com/6l5fmr)
'Photos'
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/25192939@N06/)
'Unicycle' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=P7MiIYTE5Yo)
'Juggle'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-q-VOaDB7M&feature=related)
'EGG'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=3y-Zwr3-i4k&feature=related)
Old April 20th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

lpounds wrote:
I like standard converse all stars for unicycling because the sole is so
flimsy that it can wrap around the pedal (to some degree), despite
this, the converse will fall apart FAST if you are a trials junkie

That is exactly why I don't like them haha. The sole is so thin I
bruise my feet.

Also, the converses have no padding on the sides.

Oh well, to each his own

Old April 20th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

i wear skate style shoes for almost everything now, i do occasionaly
wear walking boots for muni. i like my animal trainers because theyve
got a flat sole on them and theyre thick and really compfortable. what
ever you do though *tuck your laces in!!* it have ripped my shoes up
and my hands too from getting tied up to the pedal. it hurts!

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

Chris-"james is naming your unicycle a girls name replacement for
girlfriends?"
Old April 20th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

mornish wrote:
[...]

1+
also, to add to that, a gummy tread will grip the best, and you want a
fairly smooth sole. my personal preference would be for something like
a dc manteca, converse one star classics, etnies commuter, etc.
danscomp.com has a great selection of shoes.

my wife uses cross trainers w/ a nice smooth sole (the sole is the key)
but usually skate shoes have more protection on the top and sides of
the feet.

i muni in hiking shoes sometimes because they grip the trails well when
i have to dismount, but the tread can make them grab or slip depending
on how they contact the pedal.

but that's just my opinion

i also think it would make sense to wear a highly flexible shoe for
freestyle, or a lightweight, close-fitting shoe for racing, distance,
or commuting
hope this helps!!

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old April 20th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
smcmorrow

I wear my old running sneakers, and they work great for me. They grip
pretty well, they are comfortable, and they work well when hiking up.
They don't have the padding that skate shoes have, but I rarely ride
anythng other than MUni, so I don't find that I need it.

Seamus

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -threeinchtire

Proper lubes? Mtnbiker Mountain Biking 6 May 19th 05 11:43 PM
Latest Addition: Look pedals and proper, really rigid, cycle shoes Simonb UK 11 April 5th 04 10:23 AM