My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

Old December 28th 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
* * Chas

Default My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:6dSdnZrjUMDqhA_YnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"* * Chas" wrote in message

"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
I've been around bikes for the past 40 years, around this world for 56,

and
in fact can live with upright bicycles.
Kerry

Sniveling, dirty legged kid, 55 and 63 respectively.

I tried riding a bent for a few minutes about 30 years ago and I just

felt
to [too] uncomfortable trying to keep it balanced.

I can appreciate that for some people with physical limitations, a bent

is
the only way that they can enjoy cycling. That's great for them.

Chas.

It has nothing to do with physical limitations. It has everything to do

with
comfort. What an idiot you are!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Uffda!

Chill out dude and have some more lutefisk and lefse.....

Go ride your 2 wheeled piece of lawn furniture in peace!

Also, learn to follow a thread. My comment was a response to KERRY
MONTGOMERY not YOU.

Chas.

Old December 28th 06, 03:52 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Jim Behning

Prisoner at War wrote:
wrote:
If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

I can ride my uprights all day continously and be comfortable.

The problem is that within two weeks my back will be aching like crazy.
And I am likely one of the few young 'bent-riders around at age 34.

I never had a problem with my wrists or shoulders from upright biking,
though. I do change hand positions for comfort, but no regular problem
has ever developed. It's only my back that's really affected. I agree
that frame geometry and a proper saddle do a lot for comfort on an
upright, and I don't blame bike-riding per se for my bad back -- it
kind of started in childhood and was really messed up in the Army but
upright bikes and even jogging exacerbates it.

My sports doc recommended a 'bent, and that was my excuse to splurge
thousands.

It's been great fun, but getting annoying now with all the break-downs.

I do better with the sore back issues if I keep up with core muscle
training. I got a pretty sore back on an 8 hour mountain bike ride/race
but part of that is a way to tight left quad. I need to stretch that
muscle more. Massage therapists have said I have tight hamstrings. I
need to a lot more stretching I guess.

My cross bike is more comfortable than my road bike. I need to get a
shorter stem and maybe raise the stem a bit on the road bike. Little
things can make big differences.
Old December 28th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
KERRY MONTGOMERY

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

I do suffer from nasal mucus (bad sinuses), but my legs are dirty only
because I never chose to shave 'em, even during the racing years. The only
recumbent I've spent much time on is the one on this web page (it's the one
with large red spoke protectors). I found it a trifle heavy and slow
compared to the uprights I usually ride, but exceptionally easy to balance
;-)
Kerry

Old December 28th 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
* * Chas

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

The famous Irish racer, Patio Furniture..... ;-)

Chas.

Old December 28th 06, 05:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Prisoner at War wrote:
Okay, so I've been putting through my HP Velo SMGTe through all kinds
of conditions around town for almost a year now. After all the
potholes, rain, mud, grit, heat and cold I finally managed to really
**** it up Sunday. A chainring got bent slightly, and eventually the
chain itself broke and messed up some drivetrain components in the
process!

I only wonder how folks manage to take this model 'bent on them Third
World tours if I'm having issues with it from simply riding around
town! From the beginning the rear air shock suddenly stopped working.
In another two weeks I managed to shred the top teflon tube somehow.
Then the front disc brake rotor became permanently warped. Then the
back ones. Did I mention the rear mudguard cracking in two? Sunday,
about the whole drivetrain came undone: broken chain, a bent chainring,
the idler spring clamp kaputt. Interestingly, the Thracian wheelset
has held up just fine, AFAIK.

Gremlins. You've got gremlins on your ****.

Something about bents attracts them. Good luck.

Old December 28th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

I don't care what you ride . If you don't take care of it .they all go to
Sh#t .Learn to fix it take better care of it .A buddies of mine use to
complain about his Mt bike but never worked on it to keep it in shape it
really doesn't take that much.Once he started to clean it and adjust thing
as they were being use he had better luck when he went out riding . He could
go for a ride and things didn't break or come out of adj.
I think this is what the he was looking for .
Don't wait till it breaks . Ride it and pay a little attion to what's going
on and you can tell when thing are coming loose or need adjusted.Really??
I own 3 bikes and keep them in shape the last thing they do is let be down
on a ride unless I crash and bend some thing .
Don't get me wrong if you bought a cheep bike??? You get what you pay for
!!!
A cheap bike wont get you the mileage of a good bike?!?!
MY 2 CENTS

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

Old December 29th 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles

Edward Dolan wrote:

When I ride an upright and it starts to cause me pain I get so freaking mad
I could kill myself for being so stupid ....

Damn, we were this close. (He says holding his finger and thumb only a
mm. apart.)

Ken

Old December 29th 06, 06:04 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

"Gareth" wrote in message
. ..
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Gareth" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Can you guys take this off the R.B.M list please?

What the **** for? There is nothing on RBM except a bunch of idiots
blathering away about nothing at all. All cycling newsgroups are equally
stupid. The sooner you learn this, the better.

If your postings are any example, I'd have to agree.

However, I should have been more specific. Please take this discussion off
rec.bicycles.MARKETPLACE. It is creating a lot of noise, rivaling the guy
posting about M.I.5.

I haven't the foggiest notion why any of this is appearing on the
Marketplace group. But I am too lazy to do any editing of the newsgroups. I
take them the way I find them.

As for your remark about top posting, that is a religious issue, no need
to shout.

Top posting is the worst sin that anyone can commit on Usenet. One needs to
shout in order to get through to the numskulls who do this.

Old December 29th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

Like I said before, what an idiot you are. Observe the newsgroups that a
message is going to. Anyone on any of the groups who is following the
messages can reply in whatever manner he so chooses. That is what Usenet is
all about. Try to get up to speed why don't you?

If you only want to talk to this other jerk, Kerry Montgomery, then do it
via email and do not bother the rest of us.

Old December 29th 06, 06:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

I have been around bikes for the past 35 years and consider myself
an expert on the subject of comfort. If you are young and
physically fit you can more or less be comfortable on an upright
for several hours at best, but even then you cannot be comfortable
on them all day every day for weeks at a time.

A recumbent is the ONLY way to go if you want TOTAL comfort. You
give up some speed, especially on hills, but the comfort is more
than worth it. This is actually a subject not even worth talking
about as anyone who knows recumbents can tell you.

Those of you presently on uprights who think you can live with
them will find out that as you age that you in fact cannot. At
that point, you will either give up cycling - or you will graduate
to recumbents.

Oh bull**** as usual, Edward. I find my uprights comfortable
enough to ride up to 400 km in 24 hours. How much more comfortable
do I need my bike to be? I'm 47. I know people in their 50s and
60s and even 70s who do this kind of riding on uprights quite
comfortably.

But you do not get TOTAL comfort on an upright like you do on a
recumbent. I am insulted when discomfort kicks in on a bike, but
maybe you do not mind being insulted by discomfort. This is all a
function of one's intelligence of course.

No, in this case it is a function of your self-righteousness.

I do not know of anyone in their 70's who can ride an upright with
any degree of comfort.

Then you don't know enough cyclists.

Hey, live long enough and even you may get to be wise like me.

I'll pass on being wise like you, thanks.

Once again you are overgeneralizing. What is true for you may not
be true for others. If recumbents keep you riding I think that's
great and more power to you. If I develop some kind of health
problem which results in a choice between not riding and getting a
recumbent, I'll get a recumbent. A few friends of mine ride
recumbents because they just like 'em. Two friends of mine with
cervical disk problems have gone this route quite happily because
they don't aggravate their proximal and/or distal pain. I have a
cervical disk problem of my own and who knows? I might be on a
recumbent one of these days too. It's great that there are
options!

It has nothing to do with health problems. It has everything to do
with getting old and feeble.

Or you can skip the getting feeble part. A good exercise program can
prevent many of the losses stereotypically associated with aging.
Older people derive the same benefits from aerobic and resistance
training as young people, and in addition derive improved vigor and
mental capacity. The risk of dementia, falls, injuries due to falls,
and of nursing home placement is reduced by regular exercise.

All of the above is spoken like a true ignoramus who does not yet know what
it is like to get old and feeble. There is no cure for it of course except
for it to happen to him personally - and it surely will no matter how hard
he whistles as he passes by the graveyard.

You will be more comfortable on a recumbent and you can leave speed
to the teenagers where it belongs. The most pathetic sight in the
world is a middle age slob attempting to keep up with teenagers,
whether on a bike or in other department of life.

One of the most sights is a fit middle aged person leading the paceline
with the young 'uns struggling to keep up.

As far as the comfort question goes, for some reason most people I
see on recumbents around here are middle aged guys who are 50-75
pounds overweight. I think I have spotted the problem with normal
bikes being uncomfortable for them. I hear a lot of complaints
about "recumbent butt" to make it clear that recumbents are no
panacea.

Yes, almost all Americans over a certain age are overweight. What
else is new?

That's a fixable problem.

Recumbent butt only kicks in for those too stupid to solve the
problem. All that is required in most cases is just more foam padding
and a sufficient lean back. It is the main reason why you do not want
the BB to be too low.

I like the BB just behind my knees.

PS. Are you any relation to Jim McNamara, an adversary of mine on
ARBR from Chicago that I have been feuding with for years?

No.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

How to really annoy mr plod... flyingdutch Australia 26 December 12th 04 09:18 PM
Jon's bent is bent. Jon Senior UK 16 July 8th 04 10:05 AM
Black Bent Down: Worst Experience on a Bent This Year jim h Recumbent Biking 14 November 30th 03 10:58 PM
240 Ways To Annoy People myocardial Unicycling 17 November 6th 03 12:52 AM
Bent 'bent pictures Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 July 31st 03 11:23 AM