Stems That Won't Damage Carbon Steerers

Old April 9th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
C.H. Luu

Default Stems That Won't Damage Carbon Steerers

Hello:

While doing maintenance on my bike, I've noticed that my Thomson X2
stem have slightly scored the carbon steerer of my Easton EC90SLX
fork. The stem has been bored from the handle bar clamp area to the
steerer clamp area. The edges of the boring have made imprints on the
steerer tube.

I've used a torque wrench to tighten the stems steerer clamp bolts to
44 inch/lbs, which is the maximum load recommended by Thomson. Should
I tighten them at a lower torque setting? Does this occur often when
using aluminum stems with carbon steerer forks?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Claude

Old April 10th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenny

On Apr 10, 3:24 am, "C.H. Luu" wrote:
Hello:

While doing maintenance on my bike, I've noticed that my Thomson X2
stem have slightly scored the carbon steerer of my Easton EC90SLX
fork. The stem has been bored from the handle bar clamp area to the
steerer clamp area. The edges of the boring have made imprints on the
steerer tube.

I've used a torque wrench to tighten the stems steerer clamp bolts to
44 inch/lbs, which is the maximum load recommended by Thomson. Should
I tighten them at a lower torque setting? Does this occur often when
using aluminum stems with carbon steerer forks?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Claude

Mabe you should get one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/2o3ogf

Old April 10th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Ray

"C.H. Luu" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello:

While doing maintenance on my bike, I've noticed that my Thomson X2
stem have slightly scored the carbon steerer of my Easton EC90SLX
fork. The stem has been bored from the handle bar clamp area to the
steerer clamp area. The edges of the boring have made imprints on the
steerer tube.

[...]
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Claude

I've taken to sanding the sharp edges of a stem's steerer clamp with some
fine-grit sandpaper to avoid scoring carbon steerers. If you can reach that
bore hole with your finger and some sandpaper you should be able to round
the edges pretty quickly.

Brian Ray