Ultegra vs Dura-Ace Road Pedals?

Old March 29th 04, 03:51 AM
Kovie

Default Ultegra vs Dura-Ace Road Pedals?

I need a new set of pedals for my Ti road bike and am trying to decide
between the Ultegra R600 and the Dura-Ace R7800. They both seem very
well-made, but I'm a bit concerned about the Ultegras' plastic lock ring. My
old 105's had one of these and they're a real pain to remove with the
plastic tool Shimano forces you to use when it's time for an overhaul. The
Dura-Ace pedals have a metal lockring that uses a spanner, which seems
easier to use and more reliable. Plus, the DA's have a smoother 3-bearing
axle.

Between these advantages, and the Dura-Ace's lighter weight and nicer
finish, is it worth shelling out the extra $60-$70 for the latter, for
non-competitive moderate recreational use (2000 ~ 3000 miles/year of
3-season riding on flat and rolling terrain in often drizzing weather,
averaging 15-20mph and 90-120 rpm)?

Note that I'm less concerned with everyday us, as I'm guessing that they'd
both "feel" more or less the same to me, as I am with long-term reliability,
durability and serviceability. Are the Dura-Ace'ss noticeably better in this
respect? Also, are their bearings sealed, and do they need to be regularly
overhauled? (And am I correct in assuming that real-world "feel" would be
almost identical given the kind of riding I do?)

--
Kovie
zen

Old March 29th 04, 02:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

kovie- is it worth shelling out the extra $60-$70 for the latter, for
non-competitive moderate recreational use (2000 ~ 3000 miles/year of
3-season riding on flat and rolling terrain in often drizzing weather,
averaging 15-20mph and 90-120 rpm)? BRBR

I would take a look at Speedplay Zeros, either the chrom-moly or stainless
steel spindle version. Light, durable, adjustable float-nice pedals

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old March 29th 04, 11:55 PM
Kovie

What advantages would these have over more traditional Look-style pedals? My
current pedals are Shimano 105's and aside from their weight I've been happy
with them. I'm replacing them because they're old and worn, and too heavy
for my new Ti bike. (1lb pedals on an 18.5lb road bike just doesn't seem
right!)

Note that while it's hard to avoid rain out here in Seattle (especially from
October to June!), I try to ride when it's dry, so wet weather performance
is secondary to feel, reliability, serviceability and longevity.

--
Kovie
zen

Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
Equipment Report: Weyless MG-1 pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 33 September 17th 03 05:40 PM