Cannondale MT800 tandem headset removal question

Old April 2nd 04, 08:31 AM
Tony Healy

Default Cannondale MT800 tandem headset removal question

Just got a used Cannondale MT800 tandem mt bike with a Cane Creek threadless
headset. Wanted to swap it out for another headset. Have a Park headset
cup removal tool which looks like a capped piece of pipe pointed at one end
and then splits near the other end into 4 flaring pieces. It's made of
spung steel (I think). Great description, eh? Hopefully you've seen one
before. You slip the pointed end in the headtube, pull it through part way,
and the sprung flaring parts at the other end are compressed. You keep
pulling it through and when the flared ends slip past the inner edge of the
headset cup, they sping out against the inside of the head tube. You can
now hammer the pointed end of this thing and it'll push the headset cup out
of the headtube. Way better than hamering with a screwdriver.

The Cannondale tandem has a reinforced headtube. There's a tube within the
headtube to make it thicker. The problem is that when I slide the headset
cup remover in the headtube, the reinforcing tube doesn't leave enough room
for the flared ends to spring out and butt up against the inner edge of the
headset cup. There's not enough clearance to stick a screwdriver against
the inner edge of the headset cup either.

The only thing I could think of doing (which I didn't) was to use a gear
puller and a slide hammer. That's assuming you could get the gear puller to
catch the inner edge of the headset cup without messing up the headtube.
Maybe there's a trick of putting something inside the head tube so it
catches the inner edge of the headset cup in a few places, and then you can
hammer a small pipe against its center to press out the cup.

At this point I'll use the existing headset, tho the lower cup is a little
damaged. The bearings are fine, and don't wanna risk damaging the frame.
If you know of a safe way to remove the cups please let me know. Thanks!

Tony

Old April 2nd 04, 04:18 PM
daveornee

Tony Healy wrote:
[...]

Have you tried the instructions at the Park Tool site:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...readless.shtml

Old April 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Tony Healy

Yeah, the RT-1 race remover was the tool I was trying to describe.
Unfortunately the procedure Park describes doesn't work in this case [at
least not for me] because of the inner reinforcing tube in the headtube.
Worked on every other bike tho.