New Chain Noise?

Old September 3rd 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Default New Chain Noise?

Just put a new C-9 chain on my bike. It has a Daytona, steel 13-26
cassette used for an unknown number of miles. On the first ride
yesterday, I heard significant noise as each link rolled over the cogs.
This was most audible in my middle cog but I could also hear it to a
lesser extent on the cogs to either side of the middle one. I did not
hear it on any other cogs. Despite the noise, everything worked just
great. No slipping or skipping. My chain measuring tool (Park) showed
the old chain as maybe 50% worn. I changed it because I heard a clicking
who's frequency varied with gear ratio. The new chain fixed that.

Just for fun, I put on an identical but new cassette today as I wondered
if the noise indicated that the middle cogs (which I use the most)
were worn out. I haven't ridden the bike yet (rain) but in the stand I
hear a similar noise in all but the three largest cogs. I am not sure
what to make of all this. Any comments?

Old September 3rd 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigP

someone wrote:
On 3 Sep, 19:14, David White wrote:
Just put a new C-9 chain on my bike. It has a Daytona, steel 13-26
cassette used for an unknown number of miles. On the first ride
yesterday, I heard significant noise as each link rolled over the
cogs. This was most audible in my middle cog but I could also hear
it to a lesser extent on the cogs to either side of the middle one.
I did not hear it on any other cogs. Despite the noise, everything
worked just great. No slipping or skipping. My chain measuring tool
(Park) showed the old chain as maybe 50% worn.

That's a lot for a C9. It's only just possible to insert the pins of a Park
Checker into a new one to get a zero reading. Probably the sprockets are
well worn by now, so you're lucky the new chain works at all.

I woudn't do anything about it if it drives and shifts OK. The noise may
reduce as the chain wears in.

I changed it because
I heard a clicking who's frequency varied with gear ratio. The new
chain fixed that.

Just for fun, I put on an identical but new cassette today as I
wondered if the noise indicated that the middle cogs (which I use
the most)
were worn out. I haven't ridden the bike yet (rain) but in the stand
I hear a similar noise in all but the three largest cogs. I am not
sure what to make of all this. Any comments?

Oil it.

A brand new C9 chain is well greased and does not need oiling. Oil will
make it messier and pick up grit.

Old September 3rd 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 20:20, "BigP"
wrote:
someone wrote:
[...]

Yes. The answer is to use three chains to one sprocket ensemble and
swap the chains around every 1000 miles(choose your own distance or
time) cleaned and re-greased, and forget about measuring for chain
'stretch'. If you ride for long enough, the chains will ride over the
sprocket teeth with high chain tension. Replace sprockets and three
chains all together.
Old September 4th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

someone wrote:
[...]

I guess I should have explicitly mentioned it. Before mounting the new
chain, it was cleaned, dried, and lubed.
Old September 4th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

BigP wrote:
someone wrote:
On 3 Sep, 19:14, David White wrote:
Just put a new C-9 chain on my bike. It has a Daytona, steel 13-26
cassette used for an unknown number of miles. On the first ride
yesterday, I heard significant noise as each link rolled over the
cogs. This was most audible in my middle cog but I could also hear
it to a lesser extent on the cogs to either side of the middle one.
I did not hear it on any other cogs. Despite the noise, everything
worked just great. No slipping or skipping. My chain measuring tool
(Park) showed the old chain as maybe 50% worn.

That's a lot for a C9. It's only just possible to insert the pins of a Park
Checker into a new one to get a zero reading. Probably the sprockets are
well worn by now, so you're lucky the new chain works at all.

I agree with you. On my other C9 bikes, I cannot even get the tool into
the chain. So maybe the old chain was worn and this impacted the cogs
such that a new chain makes noise (at least as it "wears-in" to the
cogs). It all seems to work fine other than the noise in the middle cog
(and much less in the two adjacent cogs).

I woudn't do anything about it if it drives and shifts OK. The noise may
reduce as the chain wears in.

I think that is the plan now.

I changed it because
I heard a clicking who's frequency varied with gear ratio. The new
chain fixed that.

Just for fun, I put on an identical but new cassette today as I
wondered if the noise indicated that the middle cogs (which I use
the most)
were worn out. I haven't ridden the bike yet (rain) but in the stand
I hear a similar noise in all but the three largest cogs. I am not
sure what to make of all this. Any comments?

Oil it.

A brand new C9 chain is well greased and does not need oiling. Oil will
make it messier and pick up grit.

Thanks
Old September 4th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

someone wrote:
On 3 Sep, 20:20, "BigP"
wrote:
someone wrote:
[...]

That is an interesting strategy. It could work well. But with 4
C9-equipped bikes, I will have to work out a system to keep everything
straight!
Old September 4th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Pee who? wrote:

[...]

Next time forget about "cleaning" a new chain. They are clean and
full of lubricating grease from the manufacturer who packages them for
installation on OEM bicycles by the manufacturers of bicycles. Grease
does not vacuum the road and introduce dirt into the chain although it
may collect dirt on the outside. If that concerns you, wipe off
external lubricant while the chain is still clean. That way you won't
be wiping surface dirt into the rollers and side plates.

Just the same, I think you are hearing chain suck. I hope you got to
that response.

Jobst Brandt

Thanks Jobst. I did read your response. I know the chains are lubed in
the package and have previously not cleaned new chains prior to install.
But I find that I prefer to (a) work with a clean chain when possible
and (b) use my chain lube of choice. But either way, the chain was lubed.

Regarding your response and chain suck, if I am understanding it, the
issue you speak about involves the chain rings, not the cogs. Nut the
noise I am hearing is definitely coming from the cogs not up front.
Also, the chain rings are almost new. Perhaps there is s similar action
on the rear side and I could be hearing that?
Old September 4th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

David White wrote:
Jobst Brandt wrote:
Pee who? wrote:

[...]

jobst doesn't know what he's talking about. when normal people refer to
"chain suck", they're describing what happens when the chain doesn't
leave the chain ring and gets dragged on around to the front derailleur.
doesn't happen on the rear sprockets of course because the release
side is under tension.

the noise is simply wear mis-match. provided the new chain doesn't
skip, it'll soon wear to fit. just go ride.
Old September 4th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 4 Sep, 01:32, David White wrote:
someone wrote:
On 3 Sep, 20:20, "BigP"
wrote:
someone wrote:
[...]

Thats a lot of chains. Colour some cans to match the bikes. Or you
could start a new chain on a new sprocket set and pass it down the
line each 3000 miles. I prefer three chains one block. Just start it
next time you get a new sprocket cluster. You ought to buy your
chain by the yard or get discount for a dozen chains. I think it is
definitely wothwhile you investing in good chain maintainence. So,
you need to keep some food cans to wash your chains in kerosene and a
2" bristle paintbrush to scrub them with. A tin of grease. Melt the
grease into the wahed chain and leave it ready for installation. Wrap
in greaseproof paper. store in a closed tin.