Senior Olympics

Old August 7th 04, 02:00 AM
Child

Default Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I am crude with everyone, Eddie, but certainly there is no reason to be
polite to someone who harasses, harangues and abuses everyone here.

Who, me? I think she must have me mixed up with someone else. I am the

soul
of gentility and politeness - one of the last gentlemen left in this

world.

Please cite examples of your polite and chivalrous behavior. I must see
this!

Oh, Eddie, all you know about women you saw in the movies. Real women

are
far more interesting than your make believe ones.

Jeez! I wish them to live happily ever after and this is what I get for my
good wishes for them. OK then, don't live happily ever after. Have a
perfectly miserable life like everyone else - and welcome to the human

race!

I think women are perfectly miserable just like men, and men are perfectly
happy just like women. You can't make generalizations like that about either
gender.

Was Scott here when you got here? Scott was a very fun person to debate
with. He almost convinced me that women's lib has made women's lives worse
by enabling men to leave their families and stick the woman with all the
responsibility. I believe having choices is always better, even if they do
make us unhappy.

Old August 7th 04, 03:14 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

A religion that is not organized is no religion at all. Even cults are
highly organized. There would simply be no Jews in this world at all if

they
were not into having an "organized religion". You would have gone the

way
of the Philistines. You do know who the Philistines were, don't you?

You really need to argue about something you know at little bit about,
because otherwise you end up looking like an ignoramus.

Many of the jews in the world today do not practice any religion, but
instead consider themselves secular jews. Secular jews follow the customs
of judasim, respect the values and celebrate the holidays in a

non-religious
way. I even went to secular hebrew school as a kid, where we learned both
yiddish and hebrew, celebrated jewish holidays and learned about the

history
of the jewish people.

The Israeli people you speak so highly of are highly non-religious. In
fact, when I went to visit my brother in Israel on kibbutz, they served

pork
for breakfast on Yom Kippur. Since the kibbuts normally do not serve any
sort of meat at breakfast, it was an obvious stab at the religious right

in
Israel. The population of non-practicing jews in israel is huge.

It is the religious Jew that is responsible for there even being any Jews
left in the world today. The so-called secular Jew will be the death of the
Jew in history, at least outside of Israel. Obviously, you do not have any
idea why the Jews still exist in the world today and why the Philistines
don't. A clue for you: it has nothing to do with the Jews being secular.

By the way, it is the emigration to Israel of the oriental and Russian Jews
who have saved Israel from itself. They are highly conservative and they
know what to think of the g.d. Muslims. Without them, Israel would be a
basket case. It is the orthodox Jews and the religious Jews that will save
Israel, not the Westernized secular Jews from Europe and America.

A secular Jew is living off the hundreds of generations of Jews who have
ensured the Jewish survival in the world due to nothing other than their
religion. You are not a self hating Jew, but you are an ignorant Jew. The
result will be the same. You will pass out of history.

By rejecting your religion you have rejected the essence of your Jewish
heritage. In fact, you are not really a Jew by so doing. Your children,

if
you ever have any, will most certainly not be Jews. Too many like you

and
that is the end of the Jews in history. Welcome to the gentile world.

You really dont' know a damn thing about jews, then do you?

Even the most orthodox jew on earth recognizes me as a jew. They might
think i am a bad jew, but a jew nonetheless. Judaism passes from mother

child, so all of my children will be jews, even though their father is not
jewish. Perhaps you need to stop thinking about judaism as being

equivalent
to catholicism, and you will be capable of understanding the concept.

It is because of Jews like you that are marrying non-Jews that the Jews will
eventually disappear from most societies. That mother to child thing is a
slender reed and will not hold up once the religious glue is gone. The only
thing that will save the Jews now is the State of Israel, provided they
maintain that Israel should always be a Jewish state. In other words, they
have to keep the Arabs out or that will be the end of them too.

By the way, I knew very many Jews when I lived in New York, and even the
so-called secular Jews always struck me as being very religious. They mostly
married only other Jews and they did not pretend that religion did not
matter to them. Too many Jews like you and the Jews are history.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 03:31 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Child wrote:

Cursing is part of my heritage that I embrace. I learned it from my

family.
We are proud, talented cursers....

But anyone who replies to an Usenet post with the response, "No ****"
does not deserve the privilege of posting to Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

I do not think "AN Usenet post" can be correct. It does not sound right.
Whereas "A Usenet post" does sound right. Normally "an" before a word that
starts with a vowel is right, but I wonder if there aren't some exceptions
to that rule. What do you think?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 03:45 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
..

[...]
But you will soon be confined to the nursery and the kitchen where you
belong and all will be right with the world once again. I believe the

other
k the Germans talk about has to do with the church, so you should really
think about taking up religion. A women who is an atheist is way over

her
head. Again, leave these type of intellectual matters to us men. Big

brains
are required the minute you leave the normal path of mankind.

Your attempts to get a rise out of me are amusing, Eddie! I won't be
quitting work or giving up my position as breadwinner in our family any

time
soon! Thanks for playing!

You may be able to squeak by with just one baby, but any more than that and
you will be at home confined to the nursery, the kitchen and the church (the
three k's so beloved of the Germans) - where you and all women belong. Your
husband, whether he likes it or not, will end up the breadwinner. No more
cycling for you! Instead, you will be pushing a baby carriage down those
mean streets of Anchorage and chattering with all the other moms about your
little bundles of joy. It has been ever thus.

All you ever really had was a prolonged adolescence. Time to grow up now and
be an adult.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 04:24 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I am crude with everyone, Eddie, but certainly there is no reason to

be
polite to someone who harasses, harangues and abuses everyone here.

Who, me? I think she must have me mixed up with someone else. I am the

soul
of gentility and politeness - one of the last gentlemen left in this

world.

Please cite examples of your polite and chivalrous behavior. I must see
this!

It is enough for me to assert that something is so for it to be so. Facts,
proof, examples - these are for lesser creatures than myself. Did you not
know that I sit at the right hand of the Almighty Himself?

Oh, Eddie, all you know about women you saw in the movies. Real

women
are
far more interesting than your make believe ones.

Jeez! I wish them to live happily ever after and this is what I get for

my
good wishes for them. OK then, don't live happily ever after. Have a
perfectly miserable life like everyone else - and welcome to the human

race!

I think women are perfectly miserable just like men, and men are perfectly
happy just like women. You can't make generalizations like that about

either
gender.

Generalizations are of the essence. If you can't make generalizations, then
you do not know enough.

Actually, both men and women are perfectly miserable 90% of the time. The
other 10% of the time they have the illusion they are partially happy, but
they really aren't. They are just deluded.

Was Scott here when you got here? Scott was a very fun person to debate
with. He almost convinced me that women's lib has made women's lives

worse
by enabling men to leave their families and stick the woman with all the
responsibility. I believe having choices is always better, even if they

do
make us unhappy.

I think Scott (of Arizona?) has left this group for greener pastures
elsewhere, mainly because of me I am afraid. We could never see eye to eye
on anything under the sun. He left in disgust because he could not counter
my arguments (but who the hell can). However, if he was not in favor of
women's lib, then I think we would finally have found something we could
agree on.

But I want women to have all the freedom of choice they want and can handle.
But when a woman chooses marriage (and children) then, like the man, there
are things that you have to give up. It is not possible to have all the
freedom that you might desire when you have chosen something which is going
to limit that freedom. Responsibilities that go with choices are of the
essence.

I never married because I never wanted children. This has consequences for
me too. No one can have anything approaching absolute freedom of choice. It
is a chimera.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. I have noted a definite improvement in your writing lately. If you would
now capitalize that which needs to be capitalized, I think you will have
arrived.

Old August 7th 04, 04:28 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

...OTOH, its great taking ALL the holidays off....

Practice Islam on Friday, Judaism on Saturday and Christianity on

Sunday.

--
Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area

Islam is not in the same category as the other two religions, being

mainly a
primitive Arab atrocity inflicted on the world. However, even Judaism

is
basically only a tribal religion. The only true universal religion is
Christianity. All those others are infinitely inferior. Thus spake
Zarathustra.

Over your head, Mr. Ed! [Zing]

It was most likely way under my head, Mr. Tom! [Plop]

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 07:06 AM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

the same could be said for all christians - religious jews are responsible
for there being any christians in the world today!

A secular Jew is living off the hundreds of generations of Jews who have
ensured the Jewish survival in the world due to nothing other than their
religion. You are not a self hating Jew, but you are an ignorant Jew. The
result will be the same. You will pass out of history.

Since the holocaust took place the secular movement has become a really
important part of jewish culture. In fact, zionism is almost completely
secular. The simple fact that hitler considered the lapsed jews (i.e.
anyone who had a jewish grandparent) jewish and killed them has given the
secular movement a reason to exist and a strong foundation. I was raised
athiest, but strongly jewish - and reminded constantly that we cannot forget
we are jewish because anti-semites will never forget.

[...]

Religion is not the glue that binds the jews together. Its shared values
and a history of oppression. I have many orthodox friends, and we have much
in common, despite our obvious differences. And they respect me as much as
I respect them.

By the way, I knew very many Jews when I lived in New York, and even the
so-called secular Jews always struck me as being very religious. They

mostly
married only other Jews and they did not pretend that religion did not
matter to them. Too many Jews like you and the Jews are history.

Secular is by definition not religious and I am probably very similar to the
jews you knew in new york. I might have married a jewish man if there were
more than five of them in anchorage, but as it is, my children will be proud
jews and probably attend hebrew school at the reformed synagogue for their
jewish education (not many choices). I belong to a israeli folk dancing
group that belongs to the synagogue and have considered joining - there are
many secular jews who are members in order to give their families a sense of
jewish community, but i am not yet ready to make that jump.

Old August 7th 04, 07:08 AM
Child

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know if we have time for more than one. I am no spring chicken.
And we can't afford for me to stay home, but we can afford to have mike to
stay home. so that answers that dillemma.

All you ever really had was a prolonged adolescence. Time to grow up now

and
be an adult.

I love my prolonged adolescence - i have been very lucky to have such a
great, responsibility free time until now.

Old August 7th 04, 07:14 AM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Please cite examples of your polite and chivalrous behavior. I must see
this!

It is enough for me to assert that something is so for it to be so. Facts,
proof, examples - these are for lesser creatures than myself. Did you not
know that I sit at the right hand of the Almighty Himself?

No! do you have a photo of that? Or at least a cite? vbg

[...]

this is probably at least partially accurate, but imagine if you will being
on your bike flying down a hill with the wind in your hair, sun at your
back. If you could do that 10% of the time, you could be happy at least
that much.

[...]

I considered this before I got married - but realized that i had already
given up those freedoms for the relationship. children will absolutely
affect both of our lives profoundly, and thats a bit scary and disconcerting
for me.

I never married because I never wanted children. This has consequences for
me too. No one can have anything approaching absolute freedom of choice.

It
is a chimera.

Its not too late - lots of widows your age looking for a hermit to cook and
clean for.

PS. I have noted a definite improvement in your writing lately. If you

would
now capitalize that which needs to be capitalized, I think you will have
arrived.

I am too busy to be affected. Too much work and too little time.

Old August 7th 04, 08:28 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

When the French are no longer Christian, there will still be a France and
the French (if they are not overwhelmed by the Muslims). Christianity is not
necessary for the French to survive because they forged a nation long ago.
However, that is not true of the Jew until recently when they forged the
nation of Israel. The Jew has survived down through the ages without a
nation precisely because of their strong religion. Without their very
peculiar religion (monotheism) the Jews would have passed into history long
ago.

The Armenians and the Kurds are other interesting peoples who have survived
without a nation but their continued existence is always in jeopardy because
of it. I do think the Jews may survive now into the future because of the
existence of the State of Israel. It may be that many Jews can now afford
to be secular, but that is not how they survived. I believe that the US will
always be the guarantor of Israel's existence, at least I hope so.

The Jews are the most remarkable people in the history of the world. They
have survived down through the ages when all other ancient peoples have
perished or been absorbed by other peoples and lost to history. And it was
all due to their remarkable religion and to their being the people of the
Book. Without those two vital elements, they would have gone the way of the
ancient Philistines.

A secular Jew is living off the hundreds of generations of Jews who have
ensured the Jewish survival in the world due to nothing other than their
religion. You are not a self hating Jew, but you are an ignorant Jew.

The
result will be the same. You will pass out of history.

Since the holocaust took place the secular movement has become a really
important part of jewish culture. In fact, zionism is almost completely
secular. The simple fact that hitler considered the lapsed jews (i.e.
anyone who had a jewish grandparent) jewish and killed them has given the
secular movement a reason to exist and a strong foundation. I was raised
athiest, but strongly jewish - and reminded constantly that we cannot

forget
we are jewish because anti-semites will never forget.

All well and good. But you will never be able to abandon your religion. It
would be suicidal to do so. There is a strong tribal element to being a Jew,
but the religion is the key to it all.

[...]

Those shared values and the history of oppression will fade - as they
already have for most American Jews. Abandon your religion at your peril.
The orthodox Jew will save Judaism.

[...]

Intermarriage is the beginning of the end for the Jew as it is for the
Catholic. The religion will eventually be lost and so will the
identification of being Jewish as intermarriage continues generation after
generation. It will be an uphill struggle to maintain your identification as
a Jew. Eventually, you or your children will be absorbed into the gentile
world. It was ever thus.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota