Can a Shimano 38 teeth ring be used on a standard Shimano 52 -42 boltpattern crankarm?

Old April 5th 14, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Can a Shimano 38 teeth ring be used on a standard Shimano 52 -42 boltpattern crankarm?

To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

Thanks and cheers
Old April 6th 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 3:50:57 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

Thanks and cheers

You can get 38 tooth rings for 130 BCD cranks. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/130.html

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 6th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/5/2014 5:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

What crank? On the Shimano road cranks with 130mm format the
smallest now is 39t. For a 110mm crank 38 are plentiful.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 6th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:34:47 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/5/2014 5:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

What crank? On the Shimano road cranks with 130mm format the

smallest now is 39t. For a 110mm crank 38 are plentiful.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what I was afraid of -- that the 38 would be a different bolt center pattern than say my 600 EX which has the sae pattern as my more aero looking Exage crank I've polished to a chrome like finish.

Cheers
Old April 6th 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 11:34:47 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/5/2014 5:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

What crank? On the Shimano road cranks with 130mm format the

smallest now is 39t. For a 110mm crank 38 are plentiful.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

FSA has a 38t 130 BCD

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-Road-130mm.../dp/B000C14OK4

And there are the brands noted above at Harris Cycle. Won't those work?

-- Jay Beattie
Old April 7th 14, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/6/2014 1:41 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:34:47 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/5/2014 5:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

What crank? On the Shimano road cranks with 130mm format the

smallest now is 39t. For a 110mm crank 38 are plentiful.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what I was afraid of -- that the 38 would be a different bolt center pattern than say my 600 EX which has the sae pattern as my more aero looking Exage crank I've polished to a chrome like finish.

Cheers

Jay indicated that Harris may still have some 130x38. We no
longer do.

Old April 7th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

TA makes 38 tooth chainrings in the 130mm bolt circle diameter. I don't think Shimano itself ever made a 38 tooth chainring. Stronglight also makes a 38 tooth chainring in 130mm bcd. Peter White Cycles sells the TA chainrings. TA Hegoa is the model. Expensive though. There are many England and Europe online sellers of TA chainrings who sell them for much less.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp
http://www.renehersestore.com/servle...are/Categories
Old April 7th 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.starbike.com/en/brands/specialites-ta/

Old April 7th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 3:50:57 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

Thanks and cheers

By the way, is this a trick question? What is the significance of the 14t screw-on cog(presumably smallest cog on Uniglide cassette)? I thought you were looking for a lower low and assume you're not cross-chaining with the 14t cog.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 14, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 7, 2014 5:52:33 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 5, 2014 3:50:57 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

To get the gear I want a 38 teeth ring would be nearly perfect. That way I can use a screw on 14 teeth cog on my cassette hub. Is a 38 ring the same bolt center pattern as a standard 52 - 42 ring crankarm?

Thanks and cheers

By the way, is this a trick question? What is the significance of the 14t screw-on cog(presumably smallest cog on Uniglide cassette)? I thought you were looking for a lower low and assume you're not cross-chaining with the 14t cog.

-- Jay Beattie.

Not a trick question.

The 38 - 14 combo would give me almost the exact gear I want. The Uniglide 14 teeth cog screws onto the cassette and needs neither spacers or a lockring or extra cog to hold everything in position and together. The chainline is nearly perfect too.

Cheers