Getting Started on Rollers

Old November 13th 05, 05:38 AM

Default Getting Started on Rollers

Ok, I am going to give rollers a shot but I am worried I am going to
shoot out the picture window or end up in the petunias. Any advice on
rollers? I hear they are great for your spin and off season fitness.

Do you have any advice on how to start using rollers. It reminds me of
snow boarding, a steep learning curve. So any thoughts or good ideas
would how to get started? Maybe use a doorway, training wheels...

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Old November 13th 05, 07:40 AM
William Asher

" wrote in
oups.com:

Ok, I am going to give rollers a shot but I am worried I am going to
shoot out the picture window or end up in the petunias. Any advice on
rollers? I hear they are great for your spin and off season fitness.

Do you have any advice on how to start using rollers. It reminds me of
snow boarding, a steep learning curve. So any thoughts or good ideas
would how to get started? Maybe use a doorway, training wheels...

Any help would be appreciated.

John

You won't shoot off since there is no forward momentum except in the
rotation of the wheels. If you do fall off, it is more like you move
about three feet forward and then fall over in slow motion. It is also
easier to stay balanced the faster you make the wheels go (or at least it
seemed that way to me), so I found it helped to start out with the
resistance set on low so I could turn a relatively big gear.

Riding in a doorway is good, but when I started I preferred to have
something I could grab onto and pull myself back up and it is hard to
find a place to grab on a door frame. My recollection is learning by
riding next to a big stuffed chair where I could grab onto the back if I
rode off the drums. It was easier grabbing the chair back since it was
in line with my hand whereas a door frame was vertical. The fraction of
a second it took to turn my hand to grab on made the difference between
falling off and staying upright, plus I would rather fall onto a flat
floor than into a wall or door jamb.

One thing is I have found it really hard to watch cycling videos while
riding rollers. I kept unintentionally steering to follow the road on
the television.

--
Bill Asher
Old November 13th 05, 12:24 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 12 Nov 2005 21:38:15 -0800, "
wrote:

Ok, I am going to give rollers a shot but I am worried I am going to
shoot out the picture window or end up in the petunias. Any advice on
rollers? I hear they are great for your spin and off season fitness.

Do you have any advice on how to start using rollers.

Get a friend, ideally an experienced cyclist or coach, to spot you the
first time.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old November 13th 05, 12:29 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Do you have any advice on how to start using rollers.

Get a friend, ideally an experienced cyclist or coach, to spot you the
first time.

Or a doorway. And I learned not to hang a towel over the handlebars. And
notify the downstairs neighbours that, no, you're not building a jet
engine.

The most useful addition I think is a stable step-up that doesn't get in
the way. It's always a little tricky standing on the metal sidebars with
my metal shoeplates.

--
E. Dronkert
Old November 13th 05, 12:35 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

William Asher wrote:
I kept unintentionally steering to follow the road on the television.

They have curved rollers that help you stay centered, I never tried them
though. I put wide, bright orange tape left and right on the front drum to
give me a hint that it's time to move back. Besides seeing it, I can also
hear it when I'm touching the tape. *If* I wasn't wearing headphones...

--
E. Dronkert
Old November 13th 05, 01:28 PM
don vescio

Make sure that a plumb line dropped from the center of your front axle
is centered (or slighly) behind the axle of your front roller's axle.
Lots of wheel speed seems to help.

Old November 13th 05, 02:25 PM
Mad Dog

William Asher says...

You won't shoot off since there is no forward momentum except in the
rotation of the wheels. If you do fall off, it is more like you move
about three feet forward and then fall over in slow motion.

Bzzzt! Wrongo! I used to ride rollers in the basement and twice rode off of
them. Fortunately, we had a bunch of boxes stacked up against the wall I ran
into that was a good 15 feet away. The rubber streak on the floor was at least
7' long, so the rear wheel had enough momentum to be spinning hard for that
distance. Of course, the REASON I went off the rollers those times was because
I was doing a fairly fast spin interval and was concentrating more on my spin
than the direction I was going. Those rubber streaks on the basement floor were
great conversation pieces.

Old November 13th 05, 03:13 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Mad Dog" wrote in message
William Asher says...

[...]

You did a 7 foot long burnout? I don't believe it. How much do you weigh? 30
lbs?

Old November 13th 05, 04:44 PM
Mad Dog

Carl Sundquist says...

You did a 7 foot long burnout? I don't believe it. How much do you weigh? 30
lbs?

I could care less if you believe it or not. I have witnii. To tell you the
truth, 7' is an estimate made by stepping it off. It was about a foot over 2
steps and my steps are very close to 3'. I wish I'd taken a picture of it
because it was so cool, sort of a soft, curvy "L" shape. The floor was painted
cement, the rear tire was a Vittoria training sew-up at 105 psi, I was at a
cadence of about 180 rpm in 50/11 gearing. Go try it out yourself.

Our team used to do fund raisers at a local mall every year where we'd ride
rollers round the clock. We had 2 sets of rollers and we'd keep at least one of
them spinning from Friday through Sunday night. The preferred dismount was to
ride off. Made for some interesting crashes. 3 to 4' burnouts were not all
that uncommon, but the cement was coarser than the painted floor in my basement.
Average burnout there was probably 12 to 14", longer ones happened when the
rider came off the rollers off balance and kept trying to pedal. Great party
activity!

30 pounds? I wish I could generate my mediocre power outputs with a 30 pound
body. Take me to Ventoux!

Rollers Dave Chadderton UK 3 January 9th 05 10:43 PM
Resistance Trainer: Am I wrecking my frame??? JayofMontreal Techniques 36 November 6th 03 09:31 PM
Can a klutz like me learn to ride rollers? - the answer Fred General 10 October 28th 03 12:22 AM
Rollers Kath General 1 October 8th 03 06:30 PM
Can a klutz like me learn to ride rollers? Fred General 8 September 29th 03 04:34 AM