Tights over or under riding shorts?

Old February 2nd 04, 05:56 PM
GS

Default Tights over or under riding shorts?

The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights
underneath their riding shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding
shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm during or after the ride, I
can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your shorts!
I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts,
except for those who wear shorts for a team and with to display their
colors.
Any thoughts?

Old February 2nd 04, 06:19 PM
Per Elmsäter

GS wrote:
The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their
tights underneath their riding shorts. I almost always wear my tight
over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm during
or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your
tights on under your shorts!
I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the
shorts, except for those who wear shorts for a team and with to
display their colors.
Any thoughts?

Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen
anybody with tights under the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look like
that.

--
Perre

Old February 2nd 04, 08:32 PM
Peter Cole

"GS" wrote in message
The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights
underneath their riding shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding
shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm during or after the ride, I
can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your shorts!
I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts,

Almost 100% of the riders I see (including me) wear tights over shorts (I'm
guessing they have shorts under, I do). I've never removed my tights while
riding, if the weather is marginal for tights, I'll wear leg warmers.

Old February 3rd 04, 01:20 AM
Tom Kunich

"GS" wrote in message
The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights
underneath their riding shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my

riding
shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm during or after the ride,

can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your shorts!
I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts,
except for those who wear shorts for a team and with to display their
colors.
Any thoughts?

I've seen both ways and both seem to have their pluses and minuses.

If you wear them under the shorts the crotch doesn't catch on the nose of
the saddle (though I was going to say on the nose of brian trdina didn't
you?) and hop you forward like a sling shot when you sit down after standing
up a hill.

If you wear them over the shorts you don't have to wash them every time you
use them.

Old February 3rd 04, 01:48 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:56:25 -0700, GS wrote:

The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights
underneath their riding shorts.

Yeah? No one I ride with does. Most tights don't have a chamois, but
shorts do. Put the chamois against your skin, and the tights on the
outside.

I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under
the shorts, except for those who wear shorts for a team and with to
display their colors.

Used to be, old wool tights had poor elastic and were badly cut, and would
fall down unless held up by your shorts. Really. But most of those
tights should be full of moth-holes by now.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure
_`\(,_ | you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |

Old February 3rd 04, 01:52 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:19:35 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen
anybody with tights under the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look like
that.

Modern tights are the best excuse to throw away those annoying legwarmers.
They never have, and never will, stay up where they belong. We used to
safety-pin them to the shorts to get them to stay put. RPITA. Tights are
so much better. I have a selection of weights to work for any range of
temperature when I can't wear shorts alone.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
_`\(,_ | That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
(_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism
and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any
country. -- Hermann Goering
Old February 3rd 04, 11:08 AM
Per Elmsäter

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:19:35 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've
never seen anybody with tights under the shorts but a pair of
legwarmers may look like that.

Modern tights are the best excuse to throw away those annoying
legwarmers. They never have, and never will, stay up where they
belong. We used to safety-pin them to the shorts to get them to stay
put. RPITA. Tights are so much better. I have a selection of
weights to work for any range of temperature when I can't wear shorts
alone.

Try Briko legwarmers. I've never had any problems with those, nor their
armwarmers.

--
Perre

Lights for Road Riding at Night Ken Huizenga General 8 December 14th 03 07:30 PM
a beef about shorts Tom Keats General 7 October 17th 03 07:09 AM
Speaking of Bike Shorts ChiliDipper General 32 September 24th 03 08:21 PM
Pearl Izumi Microsensor Shorts (long) Pat General 0 August 17th 03 02:10 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM