Edelux - Wow!

Old November 24th 08, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

Default Edelux - Wow!

I've just used my new Edelux for the first time. Wow!

For the past several years I've used a Lumotec Oval Senso Plus (so that
there's a light always on the bike, and to comply with the requirements
laid out in the regs for a mandatory light) and a Lumicycle (originally
10W, but latterly 5W with a Glow Ring) for extra light to see and be
seen by. I also have a 20W Lumicycle that gets turned off when there's
street lighting or when I see someone coming the other way.

I'd hoped that the Edelux would allow me to do away with the 5W Lumi on
the unlit cyclepath, but I hardly dared to imagine that I could forget
about the 20W as well. When I tried it out, though, I found that the
20W Lumi added nothing useful to the light provided by the Edelux. So,
my new dynamo light puts out more useful light than the 3 lights I was
using before, while hopefully (because the beam pattern is so well
focussed on the path in front of me, with hardly anything going upwards)
being less likely to dazzle oncoming cyclists.

The only down side is that I no longer have a front light that complies
with the mandatory lighting requirements laid out in the regs. Also,
the Edelux is very much a light for seeing by, rather than for being
seen by, so I plan to retain the 5W Lumicycle with Glow Ring for use on
the road.

I was dreading being disappointed after spending a lot of money on the
Edelux and taking 3 hours to install it (dynamo wiring routed through
the frame is great until something needs replacing), but it's exceeded
my wildest expectations.

I'm a happy bunny. Off for a shower now.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old November 24th 08, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 24th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Danny Colyer wrote:

I was dreading being disappointed after spending a lot of money on the
Edelux and taking 3 hours to install it (dynamo wiring routed through
the frame is great until something needs replacing)

When I replaced my original borken Lumotec I thought about the
wiring through the frame... and decided that some connector blocks
gaffer-taped to the mounting bracket of the lamp provided a /much/
easier solution. Not as neat, but if it took you 3 hours it'll
probably take /me/ 5 and I'm increasingly happy with my short-cut!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old November 24th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
[Edelux]
Wow indeed! Any idea if it will mount on a Brom?

FSVO of "mounting", I decided was the likely case having considered
the same. Of course, it dsepends where you want it: I want it on
the fork crown as it lessens the impact of the fold on the cabling,
and looking at the case that will probably cause problems with the
standard bags and the usual suspects of mounting brackets. With
the likes of the Basta or Lumotec the mounting eye is effectively
just below the bulb thanks to the flare of the front of the unit,
but I think the placement of the mounting eye at the bottom of the
Edelux may well bring it into conflict with the bottom of the bag.
And I'm not spending that sort of money to find out the hard way!

The new BuM lamps do look as if they'll go on the Brom. Ben Cooper
was hoping to have some in Real Soon Now a couple of weeks ago so
should be able to verify: I may pop over this coming weekend but
suspect I won't have the time. Bah!

Pete.
Old November 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 24/11/2008 20:06, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Wow indeed! Any idea if it will mount on a Brom?

No idea, I'm afraid. It's a very compact lamp (I was surprised when I
opened the jiffy bag just how small it was), but I dunno what will fit a
Brompton.

FWIW, it's 50mm diameter and I reckon somewhere between 40-50mm front to
back.

Old November 24th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 24/11/2008 20:45, Peter Clinch wrote:
When I replaced my original borken Lumotec I thought about the
wiring through the frame... and decided that some connector blocks
gaffer-taped to the mounting bracket of the lamp provided a /much/
easier solution. Not as neat, but if it took you 3 hours it'll
probably take /me/ 5 and I'm increasingly happy with my short-cut!

I wouldn't have bothered either, except that I couldn't remove the
Lumotec without either dismantling the frame or cutting its wire. I
couldn't bring myself to cut the wire, so removing the boom it had to be.

Before I could slide out the boom I had to disconnect the front
derailleur cable, as well as the wires running to the computer and the
Lumicycles. On the plus side, disconnecting the front derailleur cable
revealed to me just how bad a state it was in. So I got to replace
the cable before it snapped.

Old November 24th 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kevin Dublin

Danny Colyer wrote:
I've just used my new Edelux for the first time. Wow!

Where did you buy it and how much did you pay, if I may be so rude as to
enquire?
Old November 24th 08, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

On 24/11/2008 18:49, Danny Colyer wrote:
I've just used my new Edelux for the first time. Wow!

The only down side is that I no longer have a front light that complies
with the mandatory lighting requirements laid out in the regs.

Why not? In what way is it not compliant?
According to this: http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/Edelux.html it has
K607 approval, which I assume means it meets the German regulations.

It also says due to high demand, allow 27 weeks for delivery!

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old November 24th 08, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 24/11/2008 21:23, Craig Wallace wrote:
Why not? In what way is it not compliant?
According to this: http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/Edelux.html it has
K607 approval, which I assume means it meets the German regulations.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had it in my head that I had read
somewhere reliable that the Edelux didn't comply with German regulations.

I think it came from reading, late at night, a piece in VeloVision where
the phrase "doesn't comply with German traffic regulations" was used in
the same sentence as the word Edelux. Reading it again, though, I see
that the non-compliance bit referred to the Supernova E3:
http://www.tout-terrain.de/cms/upload/pdf/pdf_englisch/toutterrain_innovations_velovision_31_08_web.pdf

Well, that's cheered me up even more. I hope you're right. I'll have
to go up in the loft and find the issue of VV where I first read about
the Edelux, to see what that says.

It also says due to high demand, allow 27 weeks for delivery!

I think I was lucky. I ordered from Spa Cycles at the beginning of
October, when they were expecting stock at the end of October. When
they finally got stock 5 weeks later, they didn't have enough to go
round and what they did have was sent to the people who had ordered even
earlier than I had.

I immediately checked SJS (having previously read that they had briefly
had stock back in March or April) and they didn't list the Edelux. But
I checked again a few hours later and they were shown as being in stock,
so I ordered one.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the delivery to my office on a
Monday morning, having been despatched the previous Thursday morning. It
was annoying because I think I would have had it on Friday (and thus
been able to fit it a week earlier - I could only find time at a
weekend) if someone at the local sorting office hadn't tried be clever.

From the crossings out and corrections on the address label, it
appeared that someone familiar with the centre of Bristol but not with
the outskirts had seen my office address and decided that the package
should go to the street in the centre of Bristol with the same name.
The correct postcode had been crossed out and replaced with "BS1".
Someone had then tried to deliver it, found that the address didn't
exist in BS1, then crossed out BS1 and reinstated the correct postcode.

Old November 25th 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 24/11/2008 20:58, Kevin Dublin wondered:
Where did you buy it and how much did you pay, if I may be so rude as to
enquire?

SJS Cycles (it's no longer listed, so presumably they've sold out).

I paid £99.99 + £5.00 delivery. Spa Cycles were /slightly/ cheaper, but
they were unable to supply the merchandise.

If you're looking for something similar, I found it hard to find a good
technical reason to choose the Edelux over the (significantly cheaper)
IQ Cyo:
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/175q-e.htm

The glass lens of the Edelux is claimed to transmit more light than the
plastic lens of the IQ Cyo, but OTOH light scattering from the plastic
lens supposedly makes the IQ Cyo a better light for being seen by.

In the end, I chose the Edelux mostly because aesthetically it looks so
much better than the IQ Cyo.