Power Meters?

Old May 10th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Power Meters?

On 5/10/2021 10:02 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 06:00:33 UTC+2 schreef :
On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:56:31 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

So, what will it take to convince you to switch to the dark side and
get a smartphone? ...

That is an interesting question. For most people it is social media. For me? Hmmm..for me it is most of the time just the the phone and camera. For work it calendar, Email, unit conversion app, flashlight, calculator and the ability to do a google search. That is about it.

My most-used app is DejaOffice, with its on-board calendar (not
Google's), to-do lists and memos. I check the weather app every morning.
I do only minimal texting and email from my phone. GPS, camera and other
apps are used maybe once per week.

Although I don't use them often, I do love the ability to store hundreds
of audio and sheet music tunes that I play occasionally. Also, Cornell
University's Merlin app is really handy for birding.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 21, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/10/2021 9:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 09:49:22 +0700, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 08 May 2021 19:09:15 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 14:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich wrote:

I prefer my Casio Solar that is totally electronic, recharges
from sunlight or even tabletop lamps and resets to accurate
time every time a GPS satellite passes overhead.

Nope. The Casio Solar Atomic G-Shock watches and others use WWVB (in
North America) at 60 KHz and not GPS at about 1.5 GHz.

"How Radio Controlled Casio Watches sync with Atomic Clock"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMb_8KocAA

Do people still wear watches? I just look at my cell phone :-)

When politely asking you what time it is, which stylish beach lady wants to
see some boring cell phone, possibly scraped, varnish flaking off?

You fail to grasp the main socially beneficial functions of wearing a watch:
Those who cannot judge you from your bike parts can glimpse what personal
image you want your watch to project to your fellow citizen (... excuse the
pun). And in case you're robbed of your authentic Swiss chronograph, at
least you do not lose a lot of personal and business data.
Yep. Smart watches are currently the rage:
https://www.google.com/search?q=smar****ch&hl=en&tbm=isch
I don't have one (yet) but I've been playing with those owned by
friends. One nice feature is that the Bluetooth connection to the
smartphone can be used to initiate or answer phone calls. Some have
various medical recorders (pulse oximeter, temperature, afib
detection, ECG, etc):
https://www.apple.com/healthcare/apple-watch/
Of course, they are now wearable cycling computahs:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/g20023538/9-great-smart-watches-for-cyclists/
or radiation detectors:
https://www.mtmwatch.com/collections/special-ops/rad/

Do I really want to witness my achy breaky heart issue nerve-wrecking alarms
right before I pass away? And as I happen to like Soviet-era watch dial
design: Wearing a radiation detector next to it would take some joy out of
mariage bargains from Ukraine!

The radioactive paint on the dials of my Seiko has long ago worn off.

Actual radium was dropped a very long time ago (mid-1950s).
It doesn't 'wear off' under your crystal. With a half life
of a few thousand years it's pretty dependable as most
products go.

The 'modern' chemicals only glow for 8~12 years. Gas glow
only lasts until the battery is out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 10th 21, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 10 May 2021 08:10:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/9/2021 11:00 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Yep, everyone. At this time, there are 298 million smartphone users
in the USA:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/201182/forecast-of-smartphone-users-in-the-us/
Out of a US population of 331 million, that's 90% penetration at all
ages and income levels. Even the local homeless have smart phones. It
may never actually hit 100%, but even at 90%, it qualifies for "almost
everyone".

So, what will it take to convince you to switch to the dark side and
get a smartphone? My guess(tm) some feature that you can't live
without. Built in flashlight, death ray, or bicycle headlight? Movie
projector? Simulation of your favorite historical personality using
AI (artificial intelligence)? Star Trek tricorder that does medical
diagnostics and possibly treatment? Pocket x-ray spectrometer for ore
and metallurgical analysis? Voice FM modulation lie detector? The
list never ends. Eventually, you will find some feature in smartphone
that will get your attention and inspire you to buy one. Resistance
is futile. You will be assimilated.

meh.

Luddite perhaps? Back to the farm? Retrotech? Stop progress? Life
was simpler back then?

For what it's worth, I've been using mobile phones since the days of
having to ask the mobile operator to dial a phone number for you.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/MTSfiles/Carphone5.htm
For my business, it was very useful. This continued through several
generations of improvements and largely stopped about 10 years ago
with the LG VX-8300.
https://www.cnet.com/news/remembering-one-of-lgs-coolest-phones-thats-not-the-v30/
I considered the phone to be perfectly adequate for my needs and
resisted upgrading to a smartphone because I didn't need mobile
internet and didn't want to pay for the data plan. However, the
smartphones did have one feature that attracted my attention. The
camera was much better than the VX-8300. At the time (2007), I was
dragging around a Canon S5-IS DSLR, which was rather large and
inconvenient.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is
If I could have similar features and quality in a smartphone, I would
get one. So, I bought a few older smartphones mostly for the camera
and without a cellular data plan, and continued to use the VX-8300 for
voice. Carrying two devices was a bit awkward, but survivable.

Smartphone cameras improved substantially over the years. Prices for
cellular plans and data decreased. The final straw was when Verizon
built some 4G cell sites nearby, that didn't have the 3G capabilities
required by my now ancient VX-8300. So, I bought a Motorola Droid
A855. Since then, I've gone through a series of smartphones, at
approximately 2 year intervals. My current phone is a Moto G Power
(2020).

So, why the long story? Because expect you to go through a similar
ordeal process on your path to smartphone enlightenment. You'll find
a feature that your find useful, but expensive. You watch the
products as they arrive until the price is right and when you can no
longer resist temptation. I don't know what the compelling feature
might be for you. It might be some external accessory that only works
with a smartphone. At the rate that smartphones are adding features,
it won't be long.

Ultrasound inspection for carbon fiber frame tubes and components?
Mechanical resonance analysis to measure bearing wear?
Infrared viewer to find defects and detect localized heating?
Kelvin bridge ohmmeter to measure CF frame resistance to detect
changes which might indicate damage after a ride?
X-ray components inspection?
Display unit for sensors scattered all over the bicycle?
Near infrared viewer for riding in the fog?
Dashboard camera with license plate reader and logger?
Flight recorder in case you have an accident?
Microscope camera for inspecting tiny parts?

The list never ends. Eventually, something new will get your
attention, and it will likely be either built into a smartphone or
used in conjunction with one.
--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 10th 21, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 10 May 2021 07:02:47 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

[...]

Lou

Thanks for the info. From what I've seen from friends, the smartphone
is mostly use for incessant talking, text messaging, email, address
book, and some web browsing. However, the most commonly used feature
is speech to text, because even those who know how to type properly
usually find poking at the screen to be a pain. There's plenty of
room for improvement, but speech to text and speech command have made
the smartphone usable by the GUM (great unwashed masses).

I have an app usage tracker installed, that records how many minutes
each app is being used. For that last month or so, it's been:
Solitaire (game), My Trails (mapping), HP-41c (calculator), AN98
(microscope app), Mobile Topographer.
In terms of the number of uses per day, it's been:
Messaging (SMS), K-9 Mail (email), Camera, Settings, Google
Authenticator (2FA), Google Calendar, Address book, MS Authenticator
(2FA).

For hiking and cycling, I use My Trails or OpenCycleMap.org. For
travel, Google Maps.

For Andrew, I don't think any of these will be compelling
applications. I would not be surprised if the electronic bicycle
gadgets of the future can only be used and programmed with a computer
or smartphone. Maybe that will get his attention.

Old May 10th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I'm happy that you're happy. Glad you have a walk-around
telephone.

When and if my fixed gear bicycle requires a telephone to
ride, death will hold no horror. YMMV

Old May 10th 21, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 10 May 2021 11:15:02 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/10/2021 9:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

The radioactive paint on the dials of my Seiko has long ago worn off.

Actual radium was dropped a very long time ago (mid-1950s).
It doesn't 'wear off' under your crystal. With a half life
of a few thousand years it's pretty dependable as most
products go.

The 'modern' chemicals only glow for 8~12 years. Gas glow
only lasts until the battery is out.

There's also phosphorescent paints:
https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/customerservice/faq/general-information-9
1. Longer output duration
It glows at its full brightness after a brief
exposure to sunlight or artificial light (more
than 500lux) for about 10 minutes. The light
lasts for about 3-5 hours in the dark, which
is more than 10 times longer than conventional
luminous paint.

However, I have a partial workaround. I sometimes carry a UV
flashlight.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=uv+flashlight&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLo c=1
(Get the model that has a single UV LED, not the models with an array
of small UL LEDs). It really lights up any kind of phosphorescent
(long glow time) or fluorescent (very short glow time) paint, powder,
or additive. Works well on luminous watch dials. Also, with a
suitable dye, UV flashlights are great for finding oil leaks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182246980328

Old May 10th 21, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2021 1:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I don't know what the compelling feature
might be for you. It might be some external accessory that only works
with a smartphone. At the rate that smartphones are adding features,
it won't be long.

Ultrasound inspection for carbon fiber frame tubes and components?
Mechanical resonance analysis to measure bearing wear?...

I remember when I wished we could afford a spectrum analyzer for our
Physical Measurements laboratory.

Now I have that (free) app in my smartphone.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 10 May 2021 07:46:09 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 7:02:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Without direct access to Google John wouldn't have a single fact to hand.

But Tommy, I don't use "google" I use DuckDuckGo :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 21, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2021 8:56 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2021 19:30:19 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/10/2021 6:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2021 13:20:11 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

in re automobiles; This is an improvement? Modern cars lock
themselves, sometimes with keys inside[1]. WTF?

I switch on the fuel pump, switch on the
ignition/accessories and push the starter button. Keys are
enough trouble but electronic keys? Really? No thanks.

And when the battery dies in your magical dodad you can't even get in
the car :-(

Our not-very-new Mazda has an electronic key or fob. I'm not crazy about
its bulk, but the other problems are being overstated.

First, its battery has died only twice in eight years. Each time it
died, the first symptom was reduced range on the remote door lock; but
even if the range dropped to zero, it contains an old-style door key.

Second, with even a glimmer of battery left (or perhaps none at all?)
you can hold the fob to a certain spot on the dash and the car
recognizes it. That gives me several days to buy a CR2032 battery.

.... Or to get one of the dozen or so that I saved when changing
cyclometer batteries during the year. The strongest of those is always
good for a while in other devices; I'm sure it would work in the car fob.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 21, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 09 May 2021 21:00:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

So, what will it take to convince you to switch to the dark side and
get a smartphone?

A halfway-decent keyboard would do it.

And, of course, a battery that won't run out in the middle of a ride.

Perhaps a smart phone could come with a hand-cranked generator like
the one in my ninety-nine cent flashlight.

People are always saying "and I have an entire library in my phone!".
A friend was unexpectedly detained for two hours. I commented "at
least you had a lot of books on your phone"; he answered "I didn't
want to run the battery down."

Perhaps, for me, the solution would be a flip phone for communication,
and a disconnected smart phone for taking voice-to-text notes. Then
running the battery down would not be an existential problem. And I
would not need instant access to the smart phone, and could carry it
in a pannier or my go bag.

Anything that has to go into a holster on my belt is absolutely OUT. I
don't wear a belt.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net