Delineating areas of expertise: who's the king of the spillproof mug?

Old June 8th 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Delineating areas of expertise: who's the king of the spillproof mug?

Gentlemen (and whichever ladies haven't yet given up on you):

If Scharfie's the world's maximum expert on cupholders on bicycles (Jesus, what modest ambitions that poor fellow has), and Krygo's the world's maximum expert on holding up legitimate traffic by riding stubbornly in the middle of the lane, can I be the world's maximum expert on cupholders on treadmills? Please.

Well, actually, my treadmill has two cupholders, which currently hold things like the remote control for the music on my gym Mac, the treadmill's security clip, an Adonit Jot for drawing on my iPad when I get bored with working while I walk, some silicon paintmovers for painting ditto in oils or acrylics, and so on, my phone so I can call my agent and upbraid him for being slack and sleeping while I exercise, and some unidentifiable matter that may be the earlobe of a pesky door-to-door salesman who won't be returning for it.

What I really need is a spillproof mug, like the spill proof brush-washer I already have. Any ideas (well, except taking the lane)?

Andre Jute
We don't want to hear from those who think that drinking coffee, not a healthy activity, is fundamentally incompatible with walking on a treadmill, a healthy activity. We passed that stage while you weren't looking. By now you should be used to people whispering behind your back.
Old June 8th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

duh duh duh I wuz over at Wal today n had needs for a Tupperware for the icebox holding lemons/red peppers and a drinking glass maybe without BFA or BFX.

Wal had consolidated housewares...the snowbirds gone leaving us poor folk...stalking around I found a large shelf area stocked with designer cold drink highball/capucino glasses. News here. Yawl seen this phenom ?

Thermos has a line at $8+...single wall.

Incroyablee, the offering appears a descentant of cycleware. !

Old June 9th 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:23:20 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

My recommendation is to go as simple as possible -- because simple is washable. A glass liner or SS is better than plastic, IMO. Avoid complicated, spring-loaded, trap-door, screw on tops that cannot be thoroughly cleaned (and are not dishwasher safe). In fact, my favorite cup -- the one that imparts the least flavor and keeps coffee reasonably warm and is decent at preventing spills is a free cup I got from Ski magazine -- a stainless thermal cup with a simple, plastic press-on lid.

The Contigo gets good reviews, and I own a couple (cheap at Costco), but I have the old model with the complicated lid that does not open up for easy cleaning. The body is hand wash only, and for some reason, mine holds a coffee stench -- even though it is stainless. It actually smells like an old ash tray. I probably need to throw in some TSP or some of the coffee urn cleaner to see if I can get that out. But I worry that it will get trapped in the various non-removable O-rings and seals in the body of the cup that mate with the lid.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 9th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www.gocontigo.com/
Old June 9th 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 10:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

What I really need is a spillproof mug, like the spill proof
brush-washer I already have. Any ideas (well, except taking the lane)?

Gyroscopic Coffee Cup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068u3H-cIF0
Well, it's not really gyroscopic. It's gimbaled.

CoffeeMate - Arduino controlled self-stabilizing platform, gyro /
acc... Anything can be improved by adding a microprocessor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMFuhaoxpo
Needs work, but has possibilities.

Hahn - Spill-Proof Beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8E3gXnFuCo
The Steadicam can be adapted to cycling. Replace beer with coffee.

This is old and the company is gone, but might be usable. It was
designed for Parkinson's Disease patients with an unsteady hand.
http://gizmodo.com/195926/handsteady-drink-stabilizer

Personally, methinks stabilizing the coffee cup is a waste of time
because the drinking platform (i.e. your mouth) is not stabilized and
will collide violently with a stabilized cup. The coffee cup might be
stabilized in reference to the ground, but the bicycle and rider
certainly are not. It is therefore necessary to gyro stabilize the
entire bicycle, rider, and connected coffee cup. The bicycle wheels
do an adequate job of lateral stabilization, but offer nothing for
vertical motion stabilization. Self-stabilizing bicycles like these:
http://phys.org/news145018303.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7gmmsMLCA8
have the same problem. What would be necessary is a horizontal
rotating flywheel and a very loose sprung frame suspension. Whether
such a design will be rideable is questionable, but at least the
coffee will not spill. At frame design similar to a Steadicam might
also work if the total weight and suspension were sufficiently
adjustable.

Another approach would be to stabilize the coffee instead of the cup.
That would required a double layer coffee cup, with the inside cup and
coffee rotating. The increased mass of rotation (i.e. the coffee)
will provide superior stabilization. Drinking the coffee might be a
bit tricky, but could be accomplished with a straw or siphon in the
middle of the resultant whirlpool.

Incidentally, I once tried to externally stabilize a pair of
binoculars with a rotating mass. It worked great until I tried to
look through them while bouncing down the road as passenger in a
vehicle. The binoculars were steady, but not the image. I also
received a few minor bruises from impact with the eye cups.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 9th 14, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/lHnzt9

Old June 9th 14, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Walking on a treadmill? Seriously? Wow.

Well, if you must:
http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/.../aiqerAq6T.png

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 9th 14, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS

what's Newton on the gyro-binocs ?

That's muh van in the Google Ert overhead.

Old June 9th 14, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

[...]

Would this be compatible with a butane heating element?

snip
Old June 9th 14, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 21:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Dan O
wrote:

Another approach would be to stabilize the coffee instead of the cup.
That would required a double layer coffee cup, with the inside cup and
coffee rotating. The increased mass of rotation (i.e. the coffee)
will provide superior stabilization. Drinking the coffee might be a
bit tricky, but could be accomplished with a straw or siphon in the
middle of the resultant whirlpool.

Would this be compatible with a butane heating element?

Possibly. The heat would need to be applied to the inside cup, which
is rotating. Presumably, the butane heater would be non-rotating,
thus giving an even heat. Since this derangement has no insulation,
much of the heat will be transferred to the outside cup, which is
likely to burn the hand when grabbed. I could add insulation to the
outside, but without an isolated inner vessel, the insulation would be
rather effective. Using a straw would work, but is rather tacky.
Electrical heating of the contents would also be a problem because it
would require a rotating heating element and a stationary power
source. Slip rings are possible, but rather expensive and unreliable.

Another possibility is to utilize the heat to boil water and provide
steam power to both heat and rotate the coffee. Basically, a steam
turbine engine powered by something like a Sterno can. The waste heat
from the turbine would keep the coffee warm.

A potential problem is over speed, which might produce a centrifuge,
producing fractional distillation and separating the coffee and water.
I haven't tried centrifuging coffee and have no clue what it will do
to the taste. There may be a possible benefit as siphoning the mix
from the center will yield weak watery coffee, while from the outside,
nearly espresso. User selectable potency might be a selling feature.

Note that a Steadicam has been successfully mounted to a bicycle.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Updated-Bicycle-mounted-steadicam/
Replacing the camera with a coffee cup should be possible. That will
keep the coffee from sloshing while riding. However, you still have
to stop the bicycle to take a drink.

Taking a clue from the home type flash water heaters, it should not be
necessary to pre-heat and pre-mix the coffee in a heated and gyro
stabilized container. Instead, a bottle of cold water could be flash
heated by an electric or butane heating element, while simultaneously
mixing with a coffee concentrate. In effect, that would be dispensing
hot coffee, from cold ingredients, by the mouth full. Since one sips
coffee, rather than gulps it, there should not be a problem with flow
rate. Technically, it's possible, but the price would be far too high
compared to pre-mixed coffee dispensers. Still, it has some
possibilities.