A Tale of Two Cities and FedEx

Old March 25th 21, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default A Tale of Two Cities and FedEx

A man in Washington DC bought my Trek Madone off of eBay. eBay shipping would NOT print out a label as it used to do. It told me that none of the shipping companies would accept a package of that size.

I had the bike packed by a shop and took it to FedEx. They told me that the shipping to Washington DC. from San Leandro would be - get this - $1020!!!!!

That left me in a complete tizzy and you can imagine how poorly I slept last night attempting to figure a way out of this. I could actually rent a van and DRIVE it there myself cheaper than FedEx would ship it from two hubs.

I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure that the box is a little too large for USPS even though it only weighs 26 lbs.

But I looked it up on UPS and they will deliver it for $150. I have a UPS office only a half mile from my house. So I'll take it over when their office opens. It would be nice if I could take it over to their yard which is only two blocks away from my house but they don't accept shipments from there even though I could ask and pay for a pickup from the SAME truck that will drive up to that office to get my shipment.

If you think that I will EVER do business with FedEx again you must not have very good logic.
Old March 25th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/25/2021 11:46 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I keep wondering why you're in that bike churning business. It seems to
cause you endless problems and frustrations, and you can't be making
much money from it.

Have you ever tried to compute your profits per hour?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 25th 21, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 8:55:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Or losses. Factor in the eBay cut and shipping (including packaging costs) and that the bike and parts were not free, and he had a shop work on the BB, IIRC. The margin has to be tiny or negative. This assumes no angry purchaser, no shipping damage claims and an otherwise smooth transaction.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 25th 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:03:54 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You simply don't understand how little I pay and how much I'm making. For instance, I paid $260 for the Look and it will sell for $600 for the bare frameset. Less than a grand into another that will sell for four.
Old March 25th 21, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:08:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

If you're turning a profit, more power to you.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 25th 21, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/25/2021 10:46 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

We're FedEx and USPS here. Their systems are different, each
with its strengths, foibles and failings (I also have many
years' experience in the UPS and DHL systems. Nobody's
perfect. Far from it; 'least horrible' is your best choice).

My sorta experienced opinion is that you have way too much
carton volume. I say that because your Trek probably is
under the 75lb weight limit. Freight rate is a function of
weight volume and distance (with add ons for high value or
odd shapes or special handling).

There are stepped points in a rate chart. Exceed 79 inches
(exactly two road rims only, with no extra space) and the
rate jumps even if the weight doesn't change. Cross 130
inches (most not-XL frame cartons) and it jumps again.

For a complete road bicycle, get your carton length down to
span end of rear tire to side of turned-backwards fork
blade. You should be in the 52 inch range. Drop your bike
in, crease fold and trim the height to just allow some
packing over the seat lug area, no taller. For a road bike
your width ought to be 8 inches, not more. If it's fat, take
it apart and refold it or go get another carton.

Pro tips:
Any unsecured item in a bicycle carton is a paint-eating
missile and will then discover a lust for freedom outside
your carton. Ziptie or package everything securely. That
means no, don't just drop the saet with seatpost in the
bottom. Leave no untorqued fasteners; they will unscrew and
walk away. If this bike has any value wrap then pad all
painted areas before securing anything against them.

Chinese girls do this; You can too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 25th 21, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 12:23:31 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:08:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:03:54 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 8:55:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Have you ever tried to compute your profits per hour?
Or losses. Factor in the eBay cut and shipping (including packaging costs) and that the bike and parts were not free, and he had a shop work on the BB, IIRC. The margin has to be tiny or negative. This assumes no angry purchaser, no shipping damage claims and an otherwise smooth transaction.

You simply don't understand how little I pay and how much I'm making. For instance, I paid $260 for the Look and it will sell for $600 for the bare frameset. Less than a grand into another that will sell for four.

If you're turning a profit, more power to you.

As I just said before Eternal September crashed yet again:

I wonder if you're properly accounting for all your inputs. The book _Your Money Or Your Life_
counseled readers about gaining financial independence. The author said to properly evaluate
current employment, a person needs to account for anything he would not be investing if he did not
have that job; for example, any tools or equipment, any reference books, any home office equipment
etc. And include time and money spent commuting, time shopping for clothing needed only for the job,
time spent on learning and research at home, etc.

For you, that should include time spent browsing Chinese and other websites, time posting questions
here about mismatched components, time spent arguing about the answers, time watching Ebay and
Craigslist for responses, time haggling with potential customers, time packaging anything you do
manage to sell, time digging into shipping costs and procedures...

Are you sure you're clearing $10 per hour?

If you're going through all that frustration just for fun instead of profit, that's fine. Just don't portray it as a
money making enterprise.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 25th 21, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 08:46:58 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

A man in Washington DC bought my Trek Madone off of eBay.

Quite a few Trek Madone bicycles were sold on eBay in the last week.
Which is yours?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Trek+Madone&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&L H_Complete=1

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 25th 21, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:52:16 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The packed carton was 55 x 35 x 8 and weighed 26 lbs. packed. Remember that this was a size 60. Couldn't make it much smaller and the shop that did it is pretty good. They were opening a lot of Specialized shipments at the same time and so had all of the proper packing and spacers right there.

I think that there is something funny going on at these shipping stores here. I was charged more than TWICE what the UPS site told me for the same measurements and weight that the UPS site quoted. I checked the numbers with Bike Flight and they gave me exactly the same price as the UPS site. I called the complaint department at UPS and after going through several people who said they cannot understand how I could be charged that price, the billing department asked me to call after the bike was delivered because at that time any extraneous changes would show on their computers. From not on I will pay the extra $25 to have the UPS truck pick it up because they don't make a profit off of anything.
Old March 25th 21, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 10:18:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Frank, how does it feel to be a total and complete fool? It wasn't intended to be a profitable business. It just turned out that way. I only buy things that are real deals. The Campagnolo levers I bought to years ago for $150 are now selling for $700. It was terrible buying this Eddy Merckx Elite for $363 when in two more months it will be worth three times that.

a tale of 2 ads lowkey General 25 October 18th 05 08:39 PM
Another Bird Tale hemyd Australia 4 December 5th 04 03:33 AM
Tale of wet feet DaveB Australia 11 November 11th 04 03:56 AM
just a funny tale Torgo Australia 0 September 6th 04 03:54 AM
A Tale of Two Septembers Don't do it General 4 September 12th 03 02:00 PM