Favorite Places to Ride Bikes in Cincinnati & NKY

Old September 9th 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Garrison Hilliard

Default Favorite Places to Ride Bikes in Cincinnati & NKY

Our family loves to get out on our bikes but our neighborhood isn't
ideal for bike riding with the kids, so we explore the region to find
great places to ride!

Now that my kids are getting older one of our favorite things to do is
to get out on our bikes, and the Greater Cincinnati area has so many
great places to ride a bike. Sometimes we need an easy, flat ride
(for those that are still working on mastering riding a two-wheeler)
and sometimes we opt for a ride full of hills. Sometimes we want to
be where there are lots of trees, and sometimes we opt to coast by the
Ohio River. There’s really a bike trail for everyone, and so many to
explore that it’s not possible to list them all. I’ve put together a
list of our favorite places to ride bikes in the area.

Our Favorite Places to Ride Bikes:

Devou Park
Devou Park ~ I grew up near Devou Park, so it makes sense that this is
one of my favorite places to ride a bike. There's a great path
through the park that begins at the Devou Park Golf Course and ends at
the Overlook near the Drees Pavilion, where you can get a great
bird's-eye view of Cincinnati and Covington. While you are in Devou
you can also stop at the Behringer Crawford Museum and make a day of
it! I usually ride in Devou Park with my older kids, as there are
hills and roads to cross. If you have older kids or are feeling more
adventurous Devou Park also has backcountry trails for biking.
Devou Park
Giles Conrad Park ~ Located in Boone County, this park offers a great
view of the Ohio River as you ride your bike along a very flat 1.3
mile bike path. This is a perfect place to take new bike riders since
it's so flat. And as an added bonus there's also a playground and a
creek you can explore. Or you could pack a picnic lunch and watch the
boats go by on the Ohio River while you eat. We love to ride our
bikes in this park, and then sometimes on the way home down the
beautiful winding Route 8 we stop to go across the Ohio River on the
Anderson Ferry. Giles Conrad Park is located at 7500 River Road,
Hebron, KY 41048

Giles Conrad Park
Giles Conrad Park

International Friendship Park
International Friendship Park ~ The International Friendship Park is
hands down my favorite place to take the kids when they are learning
how to ride their bikes because it is a very easy and smooth ride for
the young ones, with only a couple VERY small hills. Not only is it a
simple ride for young riders, but it is a gorgeous place to ride your
bikes or walk or run because you have a great view of the Ohio River
and the park is full of beautiful landscaping and some awesome
sculptures. Once the kids are ready for a longer ride you can take
them from the Friendship Park along the trail to Sawyer Point and then
on to Smale Riverfront Park. There are many places to play along the
way, and a few places to dine as well, or you can pack a picnic. It's
a perfect place to spend the day! The FREE parking lot for the
International Friendship Park is on Riverside Drive, on the right,
just past Montgomery Inn.
International Friendship Park
International Friendship Park
International Friendship Park
A lovely spot for a picnic at the International Friendship Park

Loveland Bike Trail
Loveland Bike Trail ~ The Loveland Bike Trail is a part of the Little
Miami Scenic Park which contains over 70 miles of paved trail, and
there are many spots where you can park and ride from along the trail.
We chose to start our bike ride in the charming town of Loveland and I
rode for a few miles down the trail with all four kids. The path was
easy enough for even the young riders to maneuver on, but I sort of
wish I had left the youngest of mine with his grandparents because the
older kids were itching to go further along the trail! We had
gorgeous views of the Little Miami River, and even saw deer crossing
our path! When you finish your ride there is much to do in Loveland,
especially if you are hungry! They have many restaurants to choose
from and then you can let the kids play in the playground or take a
little drive to visit the Loveland Castle, which my children loved.
Loveland Bike Trail

Lunken Airport Bike Path
Lunken Airport Bike Path ~ Get up close and personal with airplanes
and helicopters on a bike ride around Lunken Airport! There is a five
mile loop around Lunken Airport that is always fun to ride on. And
then if you are hungry after the ride you can stop off at the Sky
Galley Restaurant and grab a bite to eat. The Lunken Bike Path also
connects to a path that leads to the Armleder Park Trail, which would
add another two miles to your ride. There is very little shade on
this ride, and a few very big hills, so don't forget the sunscreen and
consider leaving the rookie bike riders at home if they aren't good
with hills. The path is very wide and it's always busy with bike
riders, walkers, runners, and others out for exercise. The highlight
for us on this path is to watch the planes take off and land while we
enjoy our ride. Lunken Airport is located on Wilmer Avenue and there
is a free parking lot across the street from the airport.
Lunken Airport Bike Path
Lunken Airport Bike Path
Lunken Airport Bike Path

Spring Grove Cemetery
Spring Grove Cemetery ~ You might find it odd that I've included a
cemetery in my list of places we love to bike ride, but the Spring
Grove Cemetery welcomes walkers and bicyclists to enjoy their historic
and exquisite grounds. This is one of my favorite places in
Cincinnati to wander around, whether it be driving, biking or walking.
There are so many nooks and crannies to explore, and while you are
wandering you will see trees of so many varieties (labeled so you know
what they are), swans swimming gracefully, and notable figures from
Cincinnati's history buried on these sacred grounds. It's such a
peaceful place to be, I always feel so calm and restful after visiting
Spring Grove.
Spring Grove Cemetery

Spring Grove Cemetery
Tips for fun & safe bike rides:

Wear a helmet
Water, Water, Water - keep hydrated!
Take sunscreen & hats if it's a trail without shade
Talk to your children before rides about bike safety (stay to the
right, alert other riders you are going to pass by saying "On your
left")
Lock your car & leave valuables at home