Gresham's Law

Old November 18th 19, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Gresham's Law

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 10:53:13 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:22:45 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/17/2019 9:03 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
The prevalence of latex allergy is high enough- and dangerous enough-
that clothing manufacturers are aware and have taken steps to reduce
their liability. Lycra and Spandex were invented as replacements for
latex-based fabrics. You may be likelier to find latex in cotton
clothing.

https://www.hospitalnetwork.com/doc/...n-spandex-and-

allergies-0001

People worry about all sorts of chemicals and synthetics, but "natural"
stuff is no better. See
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

I'm never using toothpicks again!

I think, if one looks hard enough, it is probably possible to find
someone that is allegoric to just about everything. There are, for
example, people that are allegoric to money, both paper and metal.
https://firstaidcprottawa.ca/allergi...tion-to-money/

Along with the toothpicks will you be refusing the "green back dollar"
also :-?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2P8mDlXKHc

(But I notice that the referenced site is Canadian so perhaps U.S. money
is O.K. :-)

Well it should be. Between the governments (US & others) and freelance
artists, it comes printed on so many different media.

Old November 18th 19, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:14:36 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:35:57 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Latex allergy is not exactly common. The statistics I see say that
something less then 1% of the U.S. population is allergic to latex.

"Current prevalence rate of latex allergy: Why it remains a problem?"

Reported data suggest that the average prevalence of latex allergy
worldwide remains 9.7%, 7.2%, and 4.3% among healthcare workers,
susceptible patients, and general population, respectively.

It's much higher among healthcare workers:

Yep, latex is an irritant and susceptability varies between individuals.
Health workers are higher because of repeated daily exposure. I have met
healthcare workers who carry boxes of alternative items like gloves with
them. Depending on the facility, some have to buy their own and others
have them provided for them.
Old November 18th 19, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/17/2019 9:54 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 6:18:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2019 9:03 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

I have some short along those lines where the leg grippers are in direct
contact with my skin, but I suspect those are urethane rather than
latex.

I was assuming those grippers were some sort of silicone. My guess could
be wrong, of course.

Good guess -- silicone and Lycra/Elastane appear to be the most popular materials for leg grippers. I don't know what they use in waste bands because I haven't had a pair of non-bibs since the late '80s or early '90s.

Anyone who thinks he or she has a latex allergy can do a simple patch test, and if positive, shop for shorts with synthetic rubber waistbands or leg grippers. I could sell them my last pair of wool shorts with a cotton drawstring, assuming they don't have a cotton allergy -- or a wool allergy or a sheepskin/lanolin allergy.

-- Jay Beattie.

The good citizens of Portland have solved those problems:
https://media.timeout.com/images/103896006/image.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I think, if one looks hard enough, it is probably possible to find
someone that is allegoric to just about everything. There are, for
example, people that are allegoric to money, both paper and metal.
https://firstaidcprottawa.ca/allergi...tion-to-money/

It's not necessary to develop an allergy to money. Paper money
collects substantial amounts of bacteria, some of which is infectious
and dangerous.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dirty-money/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=bacteria+on+money

How to disinfect paper money:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+disinfect+paper+money

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 18th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/18/2019 8:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Hey!! No helmet!!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

I think, if one looks hard enough, it is probably possible to find
someone that is allegoric to just about everything. There are, for
example, people that are allegoric to money, both paper and metal.
https://firstaidcprottawa.ca/allergi...tion-to-money/

It's not necessary to develop an allergy to money. Paper money
collects substantial amounts of bacteria, some of which is infectious
and dangerous.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dirty-money/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=bacteria+on+money

How to disinfect paper money:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+disinfect+paper+money

Paper currency has absolutely everything on or in it:
https://academic.oup.com/jat/article/20/4/213/838490

Old November 18th 19, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Latex allergy, remember?
Old November 18th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

https://www.hospitalnetwork.com/doc/...allergies-0001

People worry about all sorts of chemicals and synthetics, but
"natural" stuff is no better. See
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

I'm never using toothpicks again!

Most wood allergies are caused by inhaling sawdust, which can be a
problem. Inhaling natural cotton fibers causes "brown lung", which used
to be a big problem in the US back when we did textile manufacturing.
Likely still is in those countries now doing it.
Old November 18th 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 7:54:35 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well, the stuff on my shorts FEELS like latex as used in rubber bands but I suppose it could be something else.
Old November 18th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 18 November 2019 13:40:26 UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 11/17/2019 9:03 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
The prevalence of latex allergy is high enough- and dangerous
enough- that clothing manufacturers are aware and have taken steps to
reduce their liability. Lycra and Spandex were invented as replacements
for latex-based fabrics. You may be likelier to find latex in cotton
clothing.

https://www.hospitalnetwork.com/doc/...allergies-0001

People worry about all sorts of chemicals and synthetics, but
"natural" stuff is no better. See
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

I'm never using toothpicks again!

Most wood allergies are caused by inhaling sawdust, which can be a
problem. Inhaling natural cotton fibers causes "brown lung", which used
to be a big problem in the US back when we did textile manufacturing.
Likely still is in those countries now doing it.

I worked at a lad at an asbestos mine. I was always amazed at the number of people who would not wear their protective mask unless threatened by management to do so. I remember a safety meeting where we were told that ANY dust under 2 microns in size, no matter what kind of dust, could be damaging to the lungs since that size dust would not be trapped by the tiny hairs in the body. I often wonder how many of those guys who wouldn't wear their masks developed asbestosis.

Cheers