Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today

Old June 17th 04, 06:07 PM
[Not Responding]

Default Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today

The working police presence (as opposed to the ceremonial top cats) at
the council's AGM today was provided by policemen on bicycles for a
change. I took it as an indication that the recent introduction[1] of
bikes is seen as a serious police tool rather than symbolism

The policeman was very keen on using the bike; citing ability to cover
a large area and the silent approach as two advantages. The big
difference between modern cycle-policing and that of the past (he was
old enough to have done that) he said, was not so much the new bikes
as the fact that a cycling uniform has been introduced. A polo shirt
and cycle helmet[2] being more pleasant to ride in than a tunic and
"big hat".

The bike was a very unsouped up and non-descript MTB. Apart from the
word "POLICE" along the top tube, it could have been bought from
Halfords. In fact, I suspect it was; identical to my Carrera Subway 8,
the top tube went from a circular tube at the front to a square tube
at the seat tube end. I don't know much about MTBs but to me that
seems pretty unique. Bog standard pair of black panniers (no Police
logo or hi viz) clipped to a Bor Yueh rack.

It was also looking rather used and, let's face it, in need of a
clean.

[1] As reported here

http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/Vie...ticleID=798919

[2] IMO,cycling helmets are acceptable on coppers on the basis that
they *do* also wear a helmet when walking.
Old June 17th 04, 06:28 PM
Nathaniel Porter

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message

[2] IMO,cycling helmets are acceptable on coppers on the basis that
they *do* also wear a helmet when walking.

Out of interest do you know if the helmet worn to indicate authority, or
because the safety nazis have decided it would be too dangerous to cycle
without one?

Old June 17th 04, 06:29 PM
Paul - xxx

[Not Responding] posted:

[2] IMO,cycling helmets are acceptable on coppers on the basis that
they *do* also wear a helmet when walking.

And are definitely potential victims of blows to the head with blunt
instruments ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old June 17th 04, 07:25 PM
Simonb

Speaking of coppers on bikes in Pompey, there's quite often a Hants Pol
Cycle Club member on the track at the Mountbatten Centre on Weds/Fridays.

Old June 17th 04, 07:33 PM
[Not Responding]

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:28:04 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter"
wrote:

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message
.. .

[2] IMO,cycling helmets are acceptable on coppers on the basis that
they *do* also wear a helmet when walking.

Out of interest do you know if the helmet worn to indicate authority, or
because the safety nazis have decided it would be too dangerous to cycle
without one?

I'm sure that the Risk Assessment is just as bad as I imagine it to
be. But it doesn't really matter; policemen wear helmets as a matter
of course while on foot so wearing them on bikes and doing the same
job is logical.
Old June 17th 04, 08:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:07:26 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
wrote in message
:

The working police presence (as opposed to the ceremonial top cats) at
the council's AGM today was provided by policemen on bicycles for a
change. I took it as an indication that the recent introduction[1] of
bikes is seen as a serious police tool rather than symbolism

Seems fair. There are two bike plod around here; one is a long-term
fixture, PC Stratton, the other was riding a Pashley and wearing
normal plod uniform (plus bicycle clips) including traditional wooden
hat, which looked very retro and entirely reassuring - you felt as if
any minute now it would be 1950 and there would be cake and lashings
of ginger beer for tea :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 17th 04, 09:29 PM
Arthur Clune

[Not Responding] wrote:

: The policeman was very keen on using the bike; citing ability to cover
: a large area and the silent approach as two advantages. The big

THe bike police round here are very good. They have the keys to the
school grounds near me and can ride in silently and shift on all
the local yoofs. Sorted. And obviously they can protrol the bike paths.

THere's an article on them in either the current Singletrack or the
last one.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old June 17th 04, 09:30 PM
Arthur Clune

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

: Out of interest do you know if the helmet worn to indicate authority, or
: because the safety nazis have decided it would be too dangerous to cycle
: without one?

Even non-cycling coppers wear helmets last time I looked

A bike helmet would work reasonable well against a blow to the head, which
is a bit of a hazard of being a copper.

The York bike cops have nice MTB's with discs+sus forks, bike-specific uniform
+ helmet. Looks the business.

Arthur

Old June 17th 04, 10:22 PM
Brian Drury

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Nathaniel Porter wrote:

: Out of interest do you know if the helmet worn to indicate authority, or
: because the safety nazis have decided it would be too dangerous to cycle
: without one?

The helmet seems to be more of a platform for the CCTV camera fixed to it.
There really is one! have another look.

The bicycle police on Brighton seafront have the same thing.

Brian

Old June 17th 04, 10:40 PM
Tony Raven

[Not Responding] wrote:
The working police presence (as opposed to the ceremonial top cats) at
the council's AGM today was provided by policemen on bicycles for a
change. I took it as an indication that the recent introduction[1] of
bikes is seen as a serious police tool rather than symbolism

If you go to the car park of the Pompey Council offices you will see a long
line of bikes for staff to use for local journeys. Fitted complete with
panniers for carrying stuff. So someone on the Council is obviously keen.

Tony

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Killing a cyclist - not OT dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 23 April 17th 04 01:17 PM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 02:49 AM
Ran over my first "cyclist" today. Buck General 52 September 23rd 03 08:50 PM