Instructions for installing Shimano cantilever brakes.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:31 AM
Ken Pisichko

Default Instructions for installing Shimano cantilever brakes.

I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install on my
"being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and the two
plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know how to put this
together. None of my bicycles have cantilever brakes, so I have no idea
whatsoever.

I cannot find a set of instructions for any caliper brakes on Shimano's
site (NA and Europe). Besides going to my LBS for some info this
week-end (or next), is there any "place" where I can find a .pdf or
html set of instructions? It seems that all Shimano models use basically
the same "set up" as far as cable connections go, so once I see one
set-up, I suppose they are all basically the same

Thanks for any info.

Ken
Winnipeg, Canada

Old March 22nd 05, 05:51 PM
James Thomson

"Ken Pisichko" wrote:

I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install
on my "being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and
the two plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know
how to put this together. None of my bicycles have cantilever
brakes, so I have no idea whatsoever.

Here's an exploded view of a late model XT canti:

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shiman...-M737_1996.gif

from the archive he

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Herste...no/DIGEST.html

Canti and V-brake models begin BR-M. You may be able to find the serial
number on the rear of one of the cantilevers.

Sheldon Brown has a page on adjusting cantilever brakes:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

And finally, Shimano have a pdf of their R550 canti:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ew/BR-R550.pdf

HTH

James Thomson

Old March 23rd 05, 12:53 AM
Ken Pisichko

Thanks James, but I still have questions.....

James Thomson wrote:

"Ken Pisichko" wrote:

I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install
on my "being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and
the two plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know
how to put this together. None of my bicycles have cantilever
brakes, so I have no idea whatsoever.

Here's an exploded view of a late model XT canti:

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shiman...-M737_1996.gif

Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with the cable
(on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable goes
through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards. However, there is
another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what they are
for, nor what they do.

The later model one (see below on the shimano site), has a 1-piece cable
(number 11) attaching to both levers.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:07 AM
JeffWills

Ken Pisichko wrote:

I cannot find a set of instructions for any caliper brakes on

Shimano's
site (NA and Europe). Besides going to my LBS for some info this
week-end (or next), is there any "place" where I can find a .pdf or
html set of instructions?

Looked at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html
yet?

Jeff

Old March 23rd 05, 06:57 AM
Brian Huntley

Ken Pisichko wrote:

Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with

the cable
(on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable

goes
through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards.

However, there is
another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what

they are
for, nor what they do.

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but are you refering
to a section of outer cable with ferrules on each end, meant to go
between the lever and the cable stop?

And yes, #11 is really two parts. The 'dummy' leg to the left, and the
damned pastic tube that gets chewed up over the life of 10-20 pairs of
Koolstop Salmon pads.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:54 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Pisichko wrote:

Thanks James, but I still have questions.....

Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with

the cable
(on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable

goes
through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards.

However, there is
another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what

they are
for, nor what they do.

Be careful, if there's one bit of bike wrenching that can win you a
Darwin Award it's canti brakes.

Old March 24th 05, 01:51 AM
Ken Pisichko

JeffWills wrote:

Looked at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html
yet?

Jeff

Yes, Jeff. Thank you. Late last night while scratching my head some more
I did go through his pages regarding the cantis and did read this page. .

Old March 24th 05, 01:54 AM
Ken Pisichko

Brian Huntley wrote:

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but are you refering
to a section of outer cable with ferrules on each end, meant to go
between the lever and the cable stop?

Maybe that is what it is!! But the plastic is only about 3 or 4 inches
long. It does not seem to be anything to do with the lower part of the
canti braking system. I just cannot visualize it being anything at the
"cantilever end" of the system.