Insight into Minds of Bike Thieves

Old September 8th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Insight into Minds of Bike Thieves

This story is tragic, and has most of Utah very concerned. As
background, a Brigham Young University student named Camille Cleverly has
disappeared. There are very few clues as to what might have happened to
her. She was last seen riding her bike more than a week ago.
In the Wasatch Mountains northeast of Provo, home of BYU, is a canyon
called Provo Canyon, which goes past a waterfall called Bridalveil Falls,
on by the Sundance Ski Resort, and ultimately into a valley near Park
City.
Now a pair of bicycle THIEVES have come forward, claiming that they
found Cleverly's bike "abandoned" at Bridalveil Falls. Since the bike was
"abandoned" they cut the lock and "took" the bike. (Yeah, right, all
"abandoned" bikes are locked up, and don't we all just happen to carry
bolt cutters in case we happen across an "abandoned" bike? And it's not
stealing if we call it "taking.")
But the bike turned out to be white hot, so the thieves turned it and
themselves in...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...208324,00.html

Link will probably work for about a week.

Bill

| In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. |
| --Jose Narosky |
Old September 8th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 8, 11:56 am, wrote:
[...]

Young Republicans are so cute!

Wonder what happened to Camille? Did she go hiking and fall? Doesn't
sound good.

Old September 8th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jim Flom

"landotter" wrote...

Wonder what happened to Camille? Did she go hiking and fall? Doesn't
sound good.

CNN showed a map of all of the many sex offenders who live in the area
surrounding the park.

--
JF

http://velominator.spaces.live.com/

Old September 8th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Jim Flom wrote:
"landotter" wrote...

Wonder what happened to Camille? Did she go hiking and fall? Doesn't
sound good.

CNN showed a map of all of the many sex offenders who live in the area
surrounding the park.

If by "park" you mean Bridalveil Falls, I don't see how that could be.
The falls are in a canyon. There is a small park there, but apart from
that, US-189, and the Provo River, there really isn't much there but
canyon. A few houses here and there perhaps.
Sex offenders, alas, can be found almost anywhere. The police have
questioned about sixty in connection with this case.
What happened to Camille? Nothing but theories and guesses at this
point. She could have been kidnapped and/or killed, could have climbed
the very steep trail up by the Falls and fallen (though that area has been
well searched by now), could have gone still higher and gotten lost. She
could have fallen or been thrown into the river, but the river was all but
shut down at the dam a few miles upstream, and it was searched, with no
results.
Whatever it was, it wasn't good, and the thieves just made matters
worse.

Bill

__o | Fear not the path of truth for the lack
_`\(,_ | of people walking on it.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy
Old September 8th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Justa Lurker

landotter wrote:

Young Republicans are so cute!

What the heck is that supposed to mean ?
Old September 10th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

landotter wrote:
On Sep 8, 11:56 am, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like your guess was right. A repeat search of the Bridalveil
Falls area has found Ms. Cleverly's body in a heavily vegetated area at
the base of a 200' cliff near the falls. The medical examiner will have
the final say, but at this point it looks like the death was accidental
due to a fall.
And if those slime hadn't stolen the bike, the searchers would
likely have succeeded much sooner, maybe even have found the victim alive.

Old September 16th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Thomas of Cannondale

wrote in message
landotter wrote:
On Sep 8, 11:56 am, wrote:
[...]

==================

A thought .. just a nutty thought.

Since we know that the bicycle theives took the bicycle, and we know that
the death was accidental..

Could the family of the student who fell to her death sue the thieves for
failure to report the bicycle, or theft?

A long short, I'm sure. But::: if they have any money, doubtful, and they
took her bicycle and she was in distress ..

If the family can get them,,, and it gets publicized ... might cause
bicycle thieves to think twice.

Old September 17th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Bicycle thieves should be publicly sterilized, and eventually we will
be rid of them more through eugenics rather than discouragement.

short of that I guess a law suit is not a bad idea, in this case the
actions of these thieves certainly prolonged the suffering.