Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

Old May 11th 05, 12:40 PM
emma

Default Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

My Dawes has Reynolds 500 tubing. I've searched the archives and I
can't find much info on it - I know its not double butted, but whats
the difference between 500 and 501. Is it likely to be heavier, or
weaker than 531 (I know its not as good but whats the downside?). Info
much appreciated...

Emma

Old May 11th 05, 06:48 PM
Zog The Undeniable

David Martin wrote:

It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not heat
treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not CrMo).

You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside except
weight.

OK, pop quiz time.

What's the difference between pipe and tube?

(yes, I do have a degree in chemical engineering)
Old May 11th 05, 07:24 PM
emma

Cheers for that David. Why is 501 different - anyone know?

Old May 11th 05, 11:37 PM
Simon Brooke

in message . com, emma
') wrote:

My Dawes has Reynolds 500 tubing. I've searched the archives and I
can't find much info on it - I know its not double butted, but whats
the difference between 500 and 501. Is it likely to be heavier, or
weaker than 531 (I know its not as good but whats the downside?). Info
much appreciated...

Heavier _and_ weaker. If I recall correctly it's just yer bog standard
cromo. The good Reynolds tubes are 531, 631, 753 and 853. 521 and 725
are butted cromo; 500 and 501 are unbutted cromo. There's nothing
_wrong_ with cromo as such but there isn't anything special about it
either.

531 and 753 are no longer produced, as they're not tig-weldable and
Reynolds obviously doesn't feel there's a sufficient market any more
for lugged-and-brazed frames. 753 was always pretty rare as it was very
sensitive to overheating and could only be silver brazed. Of the
tubesets that Reynolds still make 853 is the best, and is best when
brazed although 853 can also be welded.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.
Old May 12th 05, 12:35 AM
David Martin

On 11/5/05 6:48 pm, in article 4282449d.0@entanet, "Zog The Undeniable"
wrote:

David Martin wrote:

What's the difference between pipe and tube?

You can travel on the tube but can't smoke a pipe on it?

Tuba is a brass instrument and pipe a woodwind?

A pipe is a tube but a tube is not necessarily a pipe..

Ceci n'est pas un tube?

or cheat and use google. A pipe is a round tube measured differently..

"Tube refers to cylindrical, square, rectangular or any shape of hollow
material of uniform thickness which is defined by the outside diameter and
wall thickness dimensions. (For example 0.375" diameter x 0.062" wall.)

Pipe is round material with specific O.D. and I.D. measurements. The
dimensions used in describing pipe refer to its inside diameter and wall
thickness. While at one time the inside diameter was a true dimension, over
the years the dimension has become "nominal" (in name only) so that when
pipe size is referred it is an approximate inside diameter measurement with
the thickness described by the term "schedule". (For example: 1-1/2", sch.
40 pipe has an outside diameter of 1.9 inches with a wall thickness of .140"

Old May 12th 05, 09:23 AM
emma

Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame

Old May 12th 05, 10:09 AM
Bryan

emma Wrote:
Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame

Just remember 531 isn't made any more. Some frame builders still have
some in stock so you can get them, but the new equivalent number is
525, unless of course it is made in teh far East under license in which
case it's 520 (just to confuse thngs).

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old May 12th 05, 10:16 AM
Simon Brooke

in message 4282449d.0@entanet, Zog The Undeniable
') wrote:

David Martin wrote:

It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not
heat treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not
CrMo).

You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside
except weight.

OK, pop quiz time.

What's the difference between pipe and tube?

Ceci, c'n'est pas un pipe.

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off.