Bike fitting question

Old February 5th 11, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gumbo

Default Bike fitting question

I have been riding the same bike for a few years, but recently I've been
getting painful elbows and in the past week or two have been suffering with
painful wrists, esp. the right one, to the extent that I've had trouble
rotating my write e.g. to turn on the car ignition, keys in the front door
etc. and also pull the brake lever.

I ride an old Harry Hall touring bike, I think it's a 24 inch frame, I'm 5
foot 11 inches tall, and am 37 years old.

I think the reach to the h'bars is too far - I have to reach out a bit too
far to reach the brake levers, and to reach the h'bars - the flat bit - my
arms are straight, not bent.

I have a v. short h'bar stem, and have the seat forward all the way, but it
still for some reason now feels like the stretch is too far.

I cycle about 3 to 4,000 miles a year by commuting 2 or 3 times a week on a
43 mile round trip to work, and have been doing that for about 7 years now,
3 or which have been on the same bike I'm still using now.

I can't work out why I should suddenly be suffering, but it really feels
like the bike doesn't fit me any more.

I'm strapped for cash, so getting a different bike isn't viable, unless I
can get a banger on eBay.

I wondered about getting flat handlebars so the reach to the brakes would be
less - anyone think that's a good idea?

I know a recumbent would ease all of the joint issues, but they cost a bomb!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Old February 5th 11, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:19:14 -0000
"gumbo" wrote:

I think the reach to the h'bars is too far - I have to reach out a
bit too far to reach the brake levers, and to reach the h'bars - the
flat bit - my arms are straight, not bent.

I have a v. short h'bar stem, and have the seat forward all the way,
but it still for some reason now feels like the stretch is too far.

Putting the saddle forward is probably a mistake, as it means your legs
are less able to support your upper body so your arms take more weight.

I cycle about 3 to 4,000 miles a year by commuting 2 or 3 times a
week on a 43 mile round trip to work, and have been doing that for
about 7 years now, 3 or which have been on the same bike I'm still
using now.

I can't work out why I should suddenly be suffering, but it really
feels like the bike doesn't fit me any more.

Any back problems you've noticed? I find my back tires and aches a lot
quicker than it did when I was younger, which means my arms are working
harder to support my upper body.

I'm strapped for cash, so getting a different bike isn't viable,
unless I can get a banger on eBay.

I wondered about getting flat handlebars so the reach to the brakes
would be less - anyone think that's a good idea?

I just fitted butterfly bars to my mountain bike, which mainly gets
used for utility cycling these days rather than off-road, because I've
been having wrist problems too. I've only ridden them around the block
so far, but they seem to work well - four or five positions, including
closer and farther than a flat bar. I'm not sure how the position and
comfort compare to my road bike because that's been in the cupboard
since the end of last summer. I suspect the gut I'm carrying at the
moment would stop me from tucking in on the drops for long. :-(

Old February 5th 11, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gary2006uk

On 5 Feb, 19:19, "gumbo" wrote:
[...]

bicycleresource.com have a measurement page.quite a few pages on
google about bike dimensions.
Old February 5th 11, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 5, 7:19*pm, "gumbo" wrote:
I have been riding the same bike for a few years, but recently I've been
getting painful elbows and in the past week or two have been suffering with
painful wrists, esp. the right one, to the extent that I've had trouble
rotating my write e.g. to turn on the car ignition, keys in the front door
etc. and also pull the brake lever.

I ride an old Harry Hall touring bike, I think it's a 24 inch frame, I'm 5
foot 11 inches tall, and am 37 years old.

I think the reach to the h'bars is too far - I have to reach out a bit too
far to reach the brake levers, and to reach the h'bars - the flat bit - my
arms are straight, not bent.

I have a v. short h'bar stem, and have the seat forward all the way, but it
still for some reason now feels like the stretch is too far.

Are you feeling stretch or pain in your lower back as well? If you
are it could be hamstring tension brought on by the cold weather.
Warm up your back and perform some hamstring stretches twice a day.
Wear extra clothing to keep this area of your back warm.

I cycle about 3 to 4,000 miles a year by commuting 2 or 3 times a week on a
43 mile round trip to work, and have been doing that for about 7 years now,
3 or which have been on the same bike I'm still using now.

Doesn't sound excessive.

I can't work out why I should suddenly be suffering, but it really feels
like the bike doesn't fit me any more.

As well as the cold getting to yer bones, sometimes dietary changes
may upset body physiology in ways too complex to explain. So any
changes at home or work meaning you are eating or drinking different,
even a new water source?

I'm strapped for cash, so getting a different bike isn't viable, unless I
can get a banger on eBay.

I wondered about getting flat handlebars so the reach to the brakes would be
less - anyone think that's a good idea?

No. Fix your problem. Try warm baths for at least 20 minutes each
day. IR lamp between your shoulders and a massage around your mid to
upper spine, around your shoulder blades and down your arms.

I know a recumbent would ease all of the joint issues, but they cost a bomb!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

When you bath, make sure you rub your arms so that the skin pinks all
over. I suspect since you have not declared any specific injury that
it is a lymphatic build-up causing nerve pressure. Warmth and
massage then are key in returning good lymph flow. Warming creams etc
may help in and aroungd the areas of pain. Back up this application
with a light massage (in the painful areas) with almond oil.
Fingertip pressure only here.
Old February 6th 11, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:19:14 +0000, gumbo wrote:

I have been riding the same bike for a few years, but recently I've been
getting painful elbows and in the past week or two have been suffering
with painful wrists, esp. the right one, to the extent that I've had
trouble rotating my write e.g. to turn on the car ignition, keys in the
front door etc. and also pull the brake lever.

It might be in order to check with a doctor. Perhaps you have developed
carpal tunnel syndrome or another nerve compression or other musculo-
skeletal problem

I ride an old Harry Hall touring bike, I think it's a 24 inch frame, I'm
5 foot 11 inches tall, and am 37 years old.

I think the reach to the h'bars is too far - I have to reach out a bit
too far to reach the brake levers, and to reach the h'bars - the flat
bit - my arms are straight, not bent.

If you think the reach is too far, then it IS too far.

I have a v. short h'bar stem, and have the seat forward all the way, but
it still for some reason now feels like the stretch is too far.

Personally I do not like the modern crouch position with the handlebars
right forwards. i far prefer the old-fashioned sitting up position, with
high handlebars and a long handlebar stem. (Yes I know there is more
wind resistance --)

I cycle about 3 to 4,000 miles a year by commuting 2 or 3 times a week
on a 43 mile round trip to work, and have been doing that for about 7
years now, 3 or which have been on the same bike I'm still using now.

I can't work out why I should suddenly be suffering, but it really feels
like the bike doesn't fit me any more.

I'm strapped for cash, so getting a different bike isn't viable, unless
I can get a banger on eBay.

It should be possible just to replace the h'bar stem and the handlebars.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old February 6th 11, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

On 05/02/2011 19:19, gumbo wrote:
I have been riding the same bike for a few years, but recently I've been
getting painful elbows and in the past week or two have been suffering with
painful wrists, esp. the right one, to the extent that I've had trouble
rotating my write e.g. to turn on the car ignition, keys in the front door
etc. and also pull the brake lever.

Has your work changed at all?

We had a 'desktop refresh' programme at my current workplace - our old
beige IBM keyboards were replaced bu new Lenovo black units. The slight
difference in the 'strike' of the keyboard made a big difference to my
wrists, but a replacement keyboard made a big difference in just 1 day.
Old February 7th 11, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:19:14 -0000, gumbo wrote:
I have been riding the same bike for a few years, but recently I've
been getting painful elbows and in the past week or two have been
suffering with painful wrists, esp. the right one, to the extent
that I've had trouble rotating my write e.g. to turn on the car
ignition, keys in the front door etc. and also pull the brake
lever.

I ride an old Harry Hall touring bike, I think it's a 24 inch
frame, I'm 5 foot 11 inches tall, and am 37 years old.

I wondered about getting flat handlebars so the reach to the brakes
would be less - anyone think that's a good idea?

I know a recumbent would ease all of the joint issues, but they
cost a bomb!

This is probably not going to be a great help, but:

Ten years ago, aged early thirties, I had been daily commuting (about
5 miles each way) and recreationaly riding a Dawes Galaxy (so
touring frame, drop bars) for about a decade. It had been
comfortable, but I was increasingly finding wrist discomfort to be my
limiting condition, and getting it day-to-day, not just on long rides.

As it happens, in those days my wife and I were dual professional
income, no kids, small flat with positively moderate mortgage, so I
did buy a recumbent (ICE Trice, custom frame, various non-standard
bits, did indeed cost an absolute bomb). It did solve all wrist
issues.

About four years ago my workplace changed location, and while I could
still cycle, the new route does not suit the recumbent. I wanted a
low maintenance, purely functional utility bike, so got a cheap
Halfords hybrid with hub gears and flat handlebars. My wrists are
still fine, though I do only commute on it (recreational rides are
still on the recumbent, mainly).

So,

1: I think it is possible for a bike that's worked for years to
apparently stop fitting so well. It happened to me in my early
thirties.

2: A recumbent solved all my wrist discomfort (but I couldn't afford
one now).

3: Flat bars don't seem to be upsetting my wrists now. I have a
fairly upright position (but not sit-up-and-beg) with flat bars and
very stubby straight bar-ends.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig