cart bike

Old March 7th 08, 12:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default cart bike

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

Somehow I think one of Tim's cargo bikes is going to be easier to live
with....

Zebee
Old March 7th 08, 12:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

Somehow I think one of Tim's cargo bikes is going to be easier to live
with....

Zebee

Bloody hell those things are hard enough to steer around the
supermarket, let alone on the road.

DaveB
Old March 7th 08, 02:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

which is just wedgie with front wheel removed and shopping trolley on front.

Somehow I think one of Tim's cargo bikes is going to be easier to live
with....

The shopping trolley idea would work if you added fixed,non-turnable
wheels at the rear of the trolley, but then I'd want bigger diameter
wheels for the rough and you really need some independent suspension or
flexible frame for when a wheel hits a high spot.

Old March 7th 08, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Mar 7, 11:37 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

Somehow I think one of Tim's cargo bikes is going to be easier to live
with....

Zebee

What, these cargo bikes?

http://www.cargocycles.com.au/content/view/12/27/

hey, I'm sure Tim promoted my site from time to time. ;^)

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Old March 7th 08, 05:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

Somehow I think one of Tim's cargo bikes is going to be easier to live
with....

Zebee

I find my cargo trailer has done very nicely for almost three years. The
attachment to the bike is simple, it can carry up to 30 kgs, and does
the 5 km run to the supermarket every week, and occasionally other local
trips.
On the mainbar, it says do not tow above 16 k/mh, which is why I've had
it up to 40 k/mh routinely, do not carry more than 20 kg, which I do
occasionally, and do not modify, which is why I've modified the crap out
of it, replacing non-essential steel components with alloy.
The lower profile tyres are much better, and alloy 16" wheels are on the
way somewhere. Loaded, it's just sluggish, particularly up any gradient,
unloaded it can sometimes develop wobbles at speed.
But I'm glad to have had it, people automatically think car for moving
any load, and it isn't always necessary, from the weekly groceries to
the odd computer.
And to those who admire it at the shops, my response is usually the
same: When petrol is $10 a litre, and you're in line four hours for the
ten litres on your ration card, remember me.
Cheers,
Ray
Old March 7th 08, 05:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:12:15 +1100
ray wrote:
But I'm glad to have had it, people automatically think car for moving
any load, and it isn't always necessary, from the weekly groceries to
the odd computer.

I can strap a variety of things onto the 'bent.

If it's bigger than the 'bent can manage, there's the motorcycle, if
it's bigger than a motorcycle then there's the motorcycle and trailer.

If that can't manage it, then I arrange for delivery in a van.

About the only difficulty is if I need to transport more than one
passenger or that passenger has a lot of luggage.

Zebee
Old March 7th 08, 07:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/2210957328/

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 7th 08, 07:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

ray wrote:

But I'm glad to have had it, people automatically think car for moving
any load, and it isn't always necessary, from the weekly groceries to
the odd computer.

I can strap a variety of things onto the 'bent.

If it's bigger than the 'bent can manage, there's the motorcycle,

blart sorry, next contestant. {:-).
Old March 7th 08, 10:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-03-07, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
ray wrote:
But I'm glad to have had it, people automatically think car for moving
any load, and it isn't always necessary, from the weekly groceries to
the odd computer.

I can strap a variety of things onto the 'bent.

If it's bigger than the 'bent can manage, there's the motorcycle, if
it's bigger than a motorcycle then there's the motorcycle and trailer.

My thinking is that the only other vehicle I will ever own is a
motorbike, and while I didn't think of a motorbike trailer, this
little cargobike has more carrying capacity than a motorbike with
panniers (without trailer). I assume you can't carry 4 cases on a
touring (motor)bike (which will be what I (assume I will) get later
this year) anyway.

If that can't manage it, then I arrange for delivery in a van.

About the only difficulty is if I need to transport more than one
passenger or that passenger has a lot of luggage.

If you look at the Dutch cargo bike website (link on Tim's website),
you see a photo of a guy with girl in the "bucket", and kid facing the
other way. So if your third passenger is small

--
TimC
If my head were spinning at relativistic speeds,
Old March 7th 08, 07:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:28:16 +1100
TimC wrote:
My thinking is that the only other vehicle I will ever own is a
motorbike, and while I didn't think of a motorbike trailer, this
little cargobike has more carrying capacity than a motorbike with
panniers (without trailer). I assume you can't carry 4 cases on a
touring (motor)bike (which will be what I (assume I will) get later
this year) anyway.

No doubt it does, on the other hand the motorcycle is more useful for
hilly terrain and longer distances.

If I had no motorised vehicle then a cargo bike would likely be a good
buy. But I'd be hiring a van or borrowing a car more often.

About the only difficulty is if I need to transport more than one
passenger or that passenger has a lot of luggage.

If you look at the Dutch cargo bike website (link on Tim's website),
you see a photo of a guy with girl in the "bucket", and kid facing the
other way. So if your third passenger is small

Not sure I really want to pick someone up at the airport in one
though!

Zebee