current best value on 10 spd chain?

Old February 2nd 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default current best value on 10 spd chain?

On Feb 2, 4:42*pm, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 2/2/2011 11:10 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:

Peter *considered Wed, 02 Feb 2011
06:42:44 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 2/1/2011 8:56 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° *wrote:
On 2/1/2011 12:39 PM, Chalo Colina wrote:

Cost-effectiveness isn't one of the virtues of 10-speed rear gearing,
you know. At my shop, 7-speed chains are $12, 8-speed are $18, 9-
speed are $25 or something, and the last time I sold a 10-speed chain
it was $45 (though we now stock a KMC model that probably doesn't cost
quite that much).

I suppose I needn't mention that 7- and 8-speed clusters are available
with much wider gearing range than 10-speed, and they last longer.
(Don't even get me started about the shifters.)

9 for road and 8 for off-road is fine. Anything more is mostly "more is
better" marketing.

8-speed for both,& *you can swap parts. If anything, you need more gears
off-road.

And, if you are using normal hubs, you have more width to fit them.

Don't know. *My 10 speed double is an improvement on my 8 speed triple,
at least as far as useful gears for my riding style. *Mostly have a 10
speed because it came with the bike.

But I'd like to know the best replacement. *Not just WRT price but maybe
one that's spec'd for more than 2500k.

You need a self-oiling chain.
Old February 2nd 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
frankenstein

On Feb 1, 5:30*pm, "Bill" wrote:
?Time for a couple of new chains for a SRAM 10 speed drive train. What's the
current best choice for a decent quality chain at a reasonable price? Which
removable link to go with it?
Thanks,

The best deals of recent times had www.chainreactioncycles.uk. They
sold (still selling I think) Mavic 10sp chains for £9 each (pack of 5)
or £12 single chain. I bought a pack of 5 for £45.

I prefer the Mavic chain over the original SRAM 1030 on my Rival group-
set. Not saying the SRAM is bad, although never managed it to open the
SRAM quick-link once bolted on. No problems with the Mavic quick link.

Schneewittchen

Old February 2nd 11, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Feb 1, 10:30 am, "Bill" wrote:
?Time for a couple of new chains for a SRAM 10 speed drive train. What's the
current best choice for a decent quality chain at a reasonable price? Which
removable link to go with it?
Thanks,

KMC best value, works/shifts really well followed by 5700/6700 chains.
Followed by Campagnolo Veloce. All work well and better in terms of $,
longevity and diurability than wipperman or sram.

Is this longevity and durability assessment the result of some kind of test?

Wippermann have conducted tests that show that theirs are the most
durable, not surprisingly.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/uploads/...0-JUN-2010.pdf

Interestingly SRAM appears to be a little the worst for wear.

JS.
Old February 2nd 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Duane Hebert wrote:

Don't know. My 10 speed double is an improvement on my 8 speed triple,
at least as far as useful gears for my riding style. Mostly have a 10
speed because it came with the bike.

But I'd like to know the best replacement. Not just WRT price but maybe
one that's spec'd for more than 2500k.

Does any chain manufacturer specify a wear distance with any kind of
guarantee?

You might also be interested in the Wippermann tests.

Old February 2nd 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 2, 1:01 pm, James wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
Don't know. My 10 speed double is an improvement on my 8 speed triple,
at least as far as useful gears for my riding style. Mostly have a 10
speed because it came with the bike.

But I'd like to know the best replacement. Not just WRT price but maybe
one that's spec'd for more than 2500k.

Does any chain manufacturer specify a wear distance with any kind of
guarantee?

I use SRAM 9-speed (~$25). The quick link makes for easy
maintenance. I am more concerned about longevity of the relatively
expensive cassettes that I like, so rotate between three (3) chains
ever 500 miles or so.

snip
Old February 2nd 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/2/2011 4:01 PM, James wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:

Don't know. My 10 speed double is an improvement on my 8 speed triple,
at least as far as useful gears for my riding style. Mostly have a 10
speed because it came with the bike.

But I'd like to know the best replacement. Not just WRT price but
maybe one that's spec'd for more than 2500k.

Does any chain manufacturer specify a wear distance with any kind of
guarantee?

Not sure but Shimano recommends testing for replacement after 2.5k.
Mine has about 3k and needs to be changed. My Bianchi 8 speed triple
got 6k with a chain.

Old February 2nd 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 2-2-2011 22:01, James schreef:
Duane Hebert wrote:

Don't know. My 10 speed double is an improvement on my 8 speed triple,
at least as far as useful gears for my riding style. Mostly have a 10
speed because it came with the bike.

But I'd like to know the best replacement. Not just WRT price but
maybe one that's spec'd for more than 2500k.

Does any chain manufacturer specify a wear distance with any kind of
guarantee?

Of course not.

You might also be interested in the Wippermann tests.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/uploads/...0-JUN-2010.pdf

Like I said TOUR magazine tested chain in their last issue and the
Shimano 105 5701 chain(25 euro) performed very well, close to the DA
chain the testwinner (39 euro).
SRAM PC1051 and Connex 10 S0 were among the worst chains tested.

Lou
Old February 2nd 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

I have a 105 on my bike the 1st one went 3500 miles with really no stretch
but I swapped it out just to be safe. They require a pin but you can buy a
link that will be removable but I just use a pin.
They are just as good as the dura ace I bet except the weight.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church
"Chalo" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

?Time for a couple of new chains for a SRAM 10 speed drive train. What's
the
current best choice for a decent quality chain at a reasonable price?
Which
removable link to go with it?
Thanks,

Best value? Just take one off an old neglected ten-speed.

Cost-effectiveness isn't one of the virtues of 10-speed rear gearing,
you know. At my shop, 7-speed chains are $12, 8-speed are $18, 9-
speed are $25 or something, and the last time I sold a 10-speed chain
it was $45 (though we now stock a KMC model that probably doesn't cost
quite that much).

I suppose I needn't mention that 7- and 8-speed clusters are available
with much wider gearing range than 10-speed, and they last longer.
(Don't even get me started about the shifters.)

Chalo

Old February 2nd 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

?"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message

On Feb 1, 10:30 am, "Bill" wrote:
?Time for a couple of new chains for a SRAM 10 speed drive train. What's
the
current best choice for a decent quality chain at a reasonable price?
Which
removable link to go with it?
Thanks,

KMC best value, works/shifts really well followed by 5700/6700 chains.
Followed by Campagnolo Veloce. All work well and better in terms of $,
longevity and diurability than wipperman or sram.

Peter, thanks for the informative reply.

I'm going to try a couple of KMC DX10 SC. I'm guessing similar wear and
function to the prettier, ounce lighter, twice as expensive X10 SL. One to
pair up with a new Apex mid cage and 11x32 I just bought for the annual
multi-day mountain odyssey and one for everyday use to replace a soon to be
end of life 6700.

Old February 5th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 2, 9:42*am, Duane Hebert wrote:
[...]

KMC, shimano, Campagnolo...all last more than 2500k. Keep clean(having
a snaplink is nice), don't cross chain, etc.