Glue

Old February 27th 04, 04:30 AM
Carl Sundquist

Default Glue

I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to
the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/
superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

Old February 27th 04, 05:06 AM
Robert Chung

Carl Sundquist wrote:
I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued
to the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it
back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

Your mistake was in trying to glue it to the glasses. Use the superglue to
attach it to your nose.

Old February 27th 04, 05:32 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Carl Sundquist" wrote:

I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to
the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/
superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps a careful application of an epoxy would be a better way. I think
superglues are too brittle. Plus you might end up with a little more
surface area with glue on it with epoxy.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Food plus heat equals cooking"
Alton Brown

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old February 27th 04, 02:22 PM
hold my beer and watch this...

Carl,

Howabout buy some new glasses, you cheap-ass retro grouch.

Thanks,
Brian

Old February 27th 04, 04:13 PM
JTN

these other guys are clueless when it comes to advice expected of this
highly esteemed site.

use JB weld and smear it all over your face and lose the nose piece. apply
some to the glasses frame and then stick to face. it will double as sunblock
for those dangerous UV rays.

jtn
Optomitrist to the Stars

Old February 27th 04, 04:54 PM
brian roth

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message ...
I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to
the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/
superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

If the nosepeice is 'rubbery' you might try some barge cement. You
can get it at any shoe repair place or good hardware.
Old February 27th 04, 06:16 PM
Carl Sundquist

"brian roth" wrote in message

If the nosepeice is 'rubbery' you might try some barge cement. You
can get it at any shoe repair place or good hardware.

I think I have tried Barge Cement at one point and it didn't work. Maybe the
epoxy will. I think the problem is the nosepiece is probably some of that
hydrophilic (hope that isn't a marketing ploy) rubber and it seems to be
glue-o-philic, too.

Old February 27th 04, 07:08 PM
Kyle Legate

Carl Sundquist wrote:
I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is
glued to the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried
gluing it back on w/ superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

Yes.

Buy a new pair of sunglasses.

Old February 27th 04, 08:47 PM
Matt C

Carl,

Clean off whatever glues you have tried and use an RTV
(Room Temperature Vulcanizing) adhesive such as ShooGoo,
Goop or Zap a Dap a Doo. This works very well for glueing
nose pieces back on and for creating new ones.

Matt

"Kyle Legate" wrote in message
s.com...

Old February 27th 04, 09:16 PM
Jason Waddell

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message ...
I have an older pair of Arnette sunglasses where the nosepiece is glued to
the frame. It has come detached on one side. I've tried gluing it back on w/
superglue but it doesn't hold well or very long.

Any suggestions?

tubular glue. it works on many things that superglue and epoxy won't.

jason