Bike pron

Old February 23rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

Default Bike pron

I rather like the look of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2250039138/

No lube needed and sounds like it'd last longer than a conventional chain as
well. I wonder what it feels like to ride. Oh, and the Ti SS roadie wouldn't
go astray either.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Resound wrote:
I rather like the look of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2250039138/

No lube needed and sounds like it'd last longer than a conventional
chain as well. I wonder what it feels like to ride. Oh, and the Ti SS
roadie wouldn't go astray either.

How do you change the belt?

Theo

Old February 23rd 08, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
steve46au[_2_]

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Resound wrote:
I rather like the look of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2250039138/

No lube needed and sounds like it'd last longer than a conventional
chain as well. I wonder what it feels like to ride. Oh, and the Ti SS
roadie wouldn't go astray either.

How do you change the belt?

Theo

The seatstay appears to be bolted to the chainstay, in which undo
seatstay, switch belts and re-bolt seatstay.

--
steve46au

Old February 23rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Usually the dropout would be detachable to allow the belt to be fitted,
though that doesn't seem to be the case with the frame pictured. I met a
rider on the Fitz's Challenge a couple of years ago who was riding a toothed
belt drive bike with a Rohloff hub. The drive belt was a smaller version of
what's used on some motorcycles. He was a fitter from Bathurst and had got a
local framebuilder to make him the frame with detachable dropout. The
chainring and cog he had machined himself. He gave the advantages of the
belt drive as:

Longer life than a chain
Quieter than a chain
No lubrication or cleaning needed
He could sling the bike in the back seat of the car without worrying about
getting the upholstery dirty

Old February 23rd 08, 11:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Nick Payne" wrote:
Usually the dropout would be detachable to allow the belt to be fitted,
though that doesn't seem to be the case with the frame pictured. I met a
rider on the Fitz's Challenge a couple of years ago who was riding a
toothed belt drive bike with a Rohloff hub. The drive belt was a smaller
version of what's used on some motorcycles. He was a fitter from Bathurst
and had got a local framebuilder to make him the frame with detachable
dropout. The chainring and cog he had machined himself. He gave the
advantages of the belt drive as:

Longer life than a chain
Quieter than a chain
No lubrication or cleaning needed
He could sling the bike in the back seat of the car without worrying about
getting the upholstery dirty

Disadvantages:

Big $$$$. No affordable Deore derailleur gears possible, it's the expense of
Rohloff (I'd love one if I could muster the $$$$) or you go single speed.
Need a frame with a break in the seatstay or chainstay to be able to change
the belt, structurally weaker.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old February 23rd 08, 03:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-02-23, PeteSig (aka Bruce)

"Nick Payne" wrote:
Usually the dropout would be detachable to allow the belt to be fitted,
though that doesn't seem to be the case with the frame pictured. I met a
rider on the Fitz's Challenge a couple of years ago who was riding a
toothed belt drive bike with a Rohloff hub. The drive belt was a smaller
version of what's used on some motorcycles. He was a fitter from Bathurst
and had got a local framebuilder to make him the frame with detachable
dropout. The chainring and cog he had machined himself. He gave the
advantages of the belt drive as:

I saw one of these locally (of all places), and it looked pretty good.
Reckoned the belt life was 16,000km. Apart from below, I wonder what
the energy transmission/efficiency is like.

Longer life than a chain
Quieter than a chain
No lubrication or cleaning needed
He could sling the bike in the back seat of the car without worrying about
getting the upholstery dirty

Disadvantages:

Big $$$$. No affordable Deore derailleur gears possible, it's the expense of
Rohloff (I'd love one if I could muster the $$$$) or you go single speed.
Need a frame with a break in the seatstay or chainstay to be able to change
the belt, structurally weaker.

Wait a few more years, and we'll be able to cut and join them:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/s...467243895.html
http://news.smh.com.au/the-power-of-...0221-1tga.html

--
TimC
"Mango sorbet is clearcut proof that we have progressed beyond the
Old February 24th 08, 01:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Nick Payne" wrote:
[...]

Would the seat stay being bolted to the dropout have to be appreciably
weaker? You'd certainly want some threadlock compound in there, but other
than that I personally wouldn't be worried about it breaking or otherwise
coming apart. For a commute/recreation bike I reckon 7-8 gears would do the
trick, so you could go with a Nexus hub instead. I still like the look of
that SS though. Less than 5½kg of thra****y goodness would make it an utter
joy to stomp through city traffic.

Old February 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:50:48 +1100, Resound wrote:

Would the seat stay being bolted to the dropout have to be appreciably
weaker?

Given the number of high end dual suspension bikes with a pivot bolt
either on the seat stay or chain stay, I can't see it being a major
problem. I've had a couple bikes like that where I've had no problems from
the rear of the bike despite riding that has caused significant mechanical
problems elsewhere.

Both beams would probably need to be a touch stronger since there
could be a bit of movement, but not dramatically so. Using steel there
should even be sufficient flex for the belt to pass through without
needing a removeable section. Overall weight increase ( a few 10s of
grams at most) would be insignificant given you're talking commuter bikes
with hub gears.

--
Dave Hughes -
You're a classic example of that inverse

Old February 24th 08, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Nick Payne" wrote:
[...]

That's the short-sighted view. I have three bikes with Rohloff hubs (a
single, the wife's single, and a tandem) and also four derailleur-equipped
bikes. I think that over the projected 100,000km life of the hub (that's
Rohloff's claim) I'll probably get out the other end more cheaply. Up front
you don't have to buy STI/Ergo shifters, a rear hub, a cassette, front and
rear derailleurs, or two of the three front chainrings. Running costs are
minimal - on none of the hubs have I had to do anything more than an annual
oil change. Chains seem to last about three times longer than on a
derailleur system - never getting derailed and always having a perfect
chainline. The rear cog is reversible, so when it wears out (no sign of it
yet) you reverse it so that the load is now on the unworn side of the teeth.
The shifting cables are supposed to be replaced at 40,000km. I'm probably
past that point on the oldest of the hubs, but I'm waiting for the cables to
break.

Nick

Old February 24th 08, 09:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Nick Payne wrote:
"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Nick Payne" wrote:

[...]

Can I ask where you got the bikes. I am thinking of getting a Thorn
Raven but would rather spend the money in Australia.

--
Remove norubbish to reply

More kitchen pRon soup UK 30 April 12th 07 06:57 PM
Kiddie Pron on it's way... Tony B UK 5 April 9th 07 01:13 PM
New bike/kitchen prOn soup UK 30 November 2nd 06 09:28 AM
Bike pron for the vimin? hippy Australia 4 February 17th 05 10:57 PM
bike pron? paul Australia 7 September 19th 04 01:52 AM