creation of the offence "culpable cycling"

Old March 6th 08, 12:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

Default creation of the offence "culpable cycling"

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...402555572.html

As a victim of an attack by another cyclist, while cycling, I welcome
this initiative to create the offence of "culpable cycling".

It's not necessary to register cyclists, as there are plenty of
options for taking photos and identifying offenders. In my case the
offender was identified, but there was no relevant offence to charge
him with.

As the number of cyclists grows, within our ranks we find offenders of
this nature. They now face the real prospect of spending a
considerable length of time in custody - plenty of time to consider
how they will behave in the future.

-----

I'm recovering from my broken arm, but still face another 7 months
before I can ride my bike again.

Old March 6th 08, 07:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

AndrewJ wrote:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...402555572.html

As a victim of an attack by another cyclist, while cycling, I welcome
this initiative to create the offence of "culpable cycling".

The victorian government have their heads so far up their arses they need to
open their mouths to tell if it's night or day.

From the article:

"Roads minister Tim Pallas said cyclists who broke the law must be treated
like drivers who drove illegally."

Cyclists ALREADY are under the road rules in NSW, and I'm assuming it's the
same for Victoria. If it isn't they're more backward than I thought.

In the event they ARE more backward than I thought, what's wrong with using
the same laws for drivers on roads, as for cyclists on roads (surprise
surprise, as is the case in NSW), rather than inventing a new law?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old March 6th 08, 07:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message

John; it's a gmail troll. Don't waste your breath.

Old March 6th 08, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Alan Erskine wrote:

John; it's a gmail troll. Don't waste your breath.

Whoops, I normally filter out gmail accounts on all my newsgroups, but leave
it open on this particular group because of Zebee.

Speaking of which, isn't it about time you got a real account Zebee? :-)
Old March 6th 08, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:04:13 +1100
John Tserkezis wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:

John; it's a gmail troll. Don't waste your breath.

Whoops, I normally filter out gmail accounts on all my newsgroups, but leave
it open on this particular group because of Zebee.

Speaking of which, isn't it about time you got a real account Zebee? :-)

Isn't it about time you got a real killfile?

Zebee

Old March 6th 08, 08:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message
u...
Alan Erskine wrote:

John; it's a gmail troll. Don't waste your breath.

Whoops, I normally filter out gmail accounts on all my newsgroups, but

leave
it open on this particular group because of Zebee.

If you're using Outlook Express, it's quite easy to make exceptions to kf
rules.

Old March 6th 08, 11:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_633_]

AndrewJ Wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/2zddva

As a victim of an attack by another cyclist, while cycling, I welcome
this initiative to create the offence of "culpable cycling".

It's not necessary to register cyclists, as there are plenty of
options for taking photos and identifying offenders. In my case the
offender was identified, but there was no relevant offence to charge
him with.

Fair cop, I'll support the offence of culpable cycling when equal
enforcement is applied to all road users. If a bicycle rider is found
guilty of killing another road user I don't want to read in the media of
them getting off with a lenient sentencing which consists of 12 months
suspended riding and a $3100 fine.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 6th 08, 11:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

John Tserkezis wrote:

Speaking of which, isn't it about time you got a real account
Zebee? :-)

Isn't it about time you got a real killfile?

Touche.

Spoke too soon. I thought I couldn't do it, turns out I could after all.
Old March 6th 08, 11:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:01:46 +1100, cfsmtb
wrote:

Fair cop, I'll support the offence of culpable cycling when equal
enforcement is applied to all road users. If a bicycle rider is found
guilty of killing another road user I don't want to read in the media of
them getting off with a lenient sentencing which consists of 12 months
suspended riding and a $3100 fine.

and when a cyclist reports their single vehicle accident when legally
required, the police can be bothered to record it.