Dynamos (again)

Old January 7th 09, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Dynamos (again)

I know this has come up a few times recently....but I also know you
all love offering advice and my requirements are perhaps slightly non-
standard so I hope you don't mind me asking again...

It seems that one of my Lumicycle batteries has died. That makes now a
good time to consider switching to a dynamo system. Our current system
is the standard (slightly dated) Lumicycle system of overvolted 10W
front halogen with their LED rear light. I like having that much light
for urban commuting with some completely unlit roads, but the beam
pattern is actually not that great and I hope that a modern dynamo
system could match it (and quite possibly outperform it). I would also
happily lose the minor hassle of remembering to charge things and
switch batteries, not to mention the embarrassment of occasions like
tonight when we had to ride home unlit. So I'm looking for a good,
reliable, bright dynamo-powered front and rear light system and ask
the panel's advice.

I assume that a front hub dynamo is the way to go, which is a bit of a
shame as my current front wheel seems indestructable. It also has to
be reliable enough to last several years of daily riding (and outside
storage) in all weather. Fortunately with the yen the way it is, the
budget isn't really an issue, but for this application I'd rather
have something that is proven reliable than the latest bleeding edge
technology.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, this is for a tandem, where the front
wheel comes in for a bit more strain than most single bikes.

James
Old January 7th 09, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

[Light stuffs]

Informed opinion suggests that the current top-end Shimano hubs are on a par
with a SON as far as efficiency goes as well as being a fair bit cheaper.
Whether they have the same Teutonic air of indestructability is still
something of an unknown, and I don't know about tandem use either. But I've
seen a fair few SON-equipped tandems.

As to what to plug into it, have a shufti at;

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11751.0

The Solidlights 1203D used to be the Weapon of Choice for discerning
Audaxers, but now seems to be outgunned by some of the competition. There
will shortly be a New! IMPROVED!! 1203D, thobut, and existing users can get
their old ones upgraded, or else take the DIY route:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12263.0

at rather less cost.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old January 7th 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message

I assume that a front hub dynamo is the way to go, which is a bit of a
shame as my current front wheel seems indestructable. It also has to
be reliable enough to last several years of daily riding (and outside
storage) in all weather. Fortunately with the yen the way it is, the
budget isn't really an issue, but for this application I'd rather
have something that is proven reliable than the latest bleeding edge
technology.

Hub - SON is the posh one, Shimano work about as well. SON bearings are
sealed, and replacable in Germany for a fee. Shimano are their normal ones.
SON looks nicer :-)

Lamp - IQ Fly, IQ Cyo, Schmidt Edelux. I'd probably get an IQ Cyo now (in
fact I've just bought one :-) ). Not had a chance to compare it to the Fly
out on the road - the Fly does a pretty good job though.

The B+M ones need a rear lamp if run off a 3W hub. My IQ Fly has now done a
year with my LED one in series though.

Old January 7th 09, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Finlay Mackay

On 2009-01-07, Clive George wrote:
wrote in message

I assume that a front hub dynamo is the way to go, which is a bit of a
shame as my current front wheel seems indestructable. It also has to
be reliable enough to last several years of daily riding (and outside
storage) in all weather. Fortunately with the yen the way it is, the
budget isn't really an issue, but for this application I'd rather
have something that is proven reliable than the latest bleeding edge
technology.

Hub - SON is the posh one, Shimano work about as well. SON bearings are
sealed, and replacable in Germany for a fee. Shimano are their normal ones.
SON looks nicer :-)

I have heard - although I have no personal experience - that the bearings
on the Shimano hubs are a bit of a PITA to service. Although the possibility
of doing it yourself at least does exist. (My DH-3N80 has a couple of
kilomiles on it and not a hint of play in the bearings).

Lamp - IQ Fly, IQ Cyo, Schmidt Edelux. I'd probably get an IQ Cyo now (in
fact I've just bought one :-) ). Not had a chance to compare it to the Fly
out on the road - the Fly does a pretty good job though.

The B+M ones need a rear lamp if run off a 3W hub. My IQ Fly has now done a
year with my LED one in series though.

I'm not sure these newer LED lights strictly need a rear light. ISTR reading
something at least semi-official from AMBA (UK B&M distributors) to this
effect but cannot turn it up at the moment.

cheers,

Finlay
Old January 7th 09, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Dave Larrington wrote:

The Solidlights 1203D used to be the Weapon of Choice for discerning
Audaxers, but now seems to be outgunned by some of the competition. There
will shortly be a New! IMPROVED!! 1203D, thobut, and existing users can get
their old ones upgraded, or else take the DIY route:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12263.0
at rather less cost.

Just as I'd decided an IQ Cyo was the way to go. But before I'd actually
ordered one - hurrah for procrastination.

Any idea how much a new (non-upgrade) XB2 will cost? (I assume somewhere
between a 1203D and a 1203D+upgrade, but that's quite a range.)

The Solidlights shop page says "Complete XB2 lights will be available at
the start of 2009", but only lists the 1203D and the upgrade at the moment.
Old January 7th 09, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 7 Jan, 21:27, Finlay Mackay fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay wrote:

I have heard - although I have no personal experience - that the bearings
on the Shimano hubs are a bit of a PITA to service. Although the possibility
of doing it yourself at least does exist. (My DH-3N80 has a couple of
kilomiles on it and not a hint of play in the bearings).

Pictures of someone going through PITA at

http://trinitybicycles.com/shimanodynohuboverhaul.php

People used to make remarks that Shimano never put enough grease into
their hubs......
Old January 7th 09, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:27:05 +0000, Finlay Mackay

On 2009-01-07, Clive George wrote:

Lamp - IQ Fly, IQ Cyo, Schmidt Edelux. I'd probably get an IQ Cyo now (in
fact I've just bought one :-) ). Not had a chance to compare it to the Fly
out on the road - the Fly does a pretty good job though.

The B+M ones need a rear lamp if run off a 3W hub. My IQ Fly has now done a
year with my LED one in series though.

I'm not sure these newer LED lights strictly need a rear light. ISTR reading
something at least semi-official from AMBA (UK B&M distributors) to this
effect but cannot turn it up at the moment.

I'm running an IQ Fly from of Shimano hub dynamo. Back light is
battery powered LED. No problems so far, after about 9 months
operation.
--
Tim
Old January 8th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Dave Larrington wrote:

The Solidlights 1203D used to be the Weapon of Choice for discerning
Audaxers, but now seems to be outgunned by some of the competition. There
will shortly be a New! IMPROVED!! 1203D

Just as I'd decided an IQ Cyo was the way to go. But before I'd actually
ordered one - hurrah for procrastination.

In fact I'd decided more than one IQ Cyo was the way to go, so I have
now got round to ordering the one planned for my wife's bike for use with
my existing dynamo hub wheel. Existing D'Lumotec with no switch moves to
hybrid with bottle dynamo, and I can continue procrastination and dithering
about what to use on bikes that don't have dynamos yet (and have ordered
some more brackets for Trelock 735 in the meantime, since I have two of
them but only one unbroken bracket).

Hub Dynamos - How do they do that? John Halliwell UK 21 May 29th 07 02:24 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? MSeries UK 13 December 22nd 05 06:09 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Bob UK 0 December 22nd 05 09:33 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Ric UK 0 December 22nd 05 06:16 AM
Regarding dynamos for the lights Jose Capco Techniques 5 January 8th 05 11:50 PM