What am I feeling ( pain )

Old November 20th 04, 05:53 AM
Ben Hughs

Default What am I feeling ( pain )

When I hit a long climb, very quickly my legs start to get a burning
feeling, my breathing becomes so fast that I can not breath very well, and
my HR goes through the roof.

Whats happening apart from the fact that I am pooped ?

Thankyou

Old November 20th 04, 07:25 AM
Peter Signorini

"Ben Hughs" wrote in message
When I hit a long climb, very quickly my legs start to get a burning
feeling, my breathing becomes so fast that I can not breath very well, and
my HR goes through the roof.

Whats happening apart from the fact that I am pooped ?

I don't want to question your skill, but are you experienced with long
climbs? Is this a problem you've just discovered or is it a change from
your previous hillclimbing experience?

Also how hard are you going at the climb? Are you holding your gear and
stomping on the pedals, or are you changing down through your gears to
maintain a steady cadence (pedalling RPM)? If you try to stomp hard on a
long climb and don't use the gears this will easily happen. Even experienced
riders can forget their climbing technique if they spend a long period away
from the mountains.

There are two keys to long climbs - cadence and breathing. Try to keep your
cadence high by using the gear range, dropping into a gear that enables you
to sit on about 60-80 pedal revs if you're a beginner, 80-120 if you're more
experienced. Generally if your legs are burning you are pedalling at too low
a cadence, if your lungs are burning it's too high. As for breathing you
need to concentrate on slow, deep breathng. Fast gasps will push up your
heart rate and wear you out rapidly. I find that I have a set rate of about
one full breathe cycle for every four pedal revolutions.

Climbing 15 kms of mountain road with 30-40kgs of camping gear on the bike
teaches you a thing or two about pacing for a climb.

Cheers
Peter

Old November 20th 04, 09:08 AM
Bert L.am

"Ben Hughs" schreef in bericht
When I hit a long climb, very quickly my legs start to get a burning
feeling, my breathing becomes so fast that I can not breath very well, and
my HR goes through the roof.

Whats happening apart from the fact that I am pooped ?

Thankyou

You may be going too fast in the beginning. How skilled are you in dividing
your efforts over a long climb?

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old November 20th 04, 10:28 AM
powinc

My technique for really long accents in the Otways here is...... get of
and walk.

powin

--
powinc

Old November 20th 04, 02:16 PM
DRS

"powinc" wrote in
message news
My technique for really long accents in the Otways here is...... get
off and walk.

I would have thought accents in the Otways would have been more General
Australian than Broad.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old November 20th 04, 04:03 PM
Cyclist14

Ben Hughs Wrote:
When I hit a long climb, very quickly my legs start to get a burning
feeling, my breathing becomes so fast that I can not breath very well,
and
my HR goes through the roof.

Whats happening apart from the fact that I am pooped ?

Thankyou

Happens to most of us, the feeling in your legs is from lactic acid.
You can get it out of your muscles by setting a high cadence on the
descent.

--
Cyclist14

Old November 21st 04, 10:00 AM
fred_kneeman

Cyclist14 wrote:

Ben Hughs Wrote:

When I hit a long climb, very quickly my legs start to get a burning
feeling, my breathing becomes so fast that I can not breath very well,
and
my HR goes through the roof.

Whats happening apart from the fact that I am pooped ?

Maybe you are a sprinter rather than a climber?

Translated into sports science/bio-phisics -ese, maybe your muscle-type
is predominantly "fast-twitch" rather than "slow twitch"? I'll hazard a
guess that you are no giant, but strongly built.

"Fast-twitch"/"slow twitch" doesn't always go with body size, but is
definitely linked to body type. Lanky, and (mainly) tall types win
marathons, but 100 metre sprinters are generally samller muscley dudes
and dudettes. That said, whatever their muscle-type, being tall
genrally gives athletes mechanical adavantages over less lofty folks...
sigh :-(

Thankyou

Happens to most of us, the feeling in your legs is from lactic acid.

There's some talk that Lactic Acid is simply the symptom, or maybe a
solving mechanism, rather than the *problem*, wrt fatigue:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/...s/s1179526.htm
(scroll down to the third story by Maria Tickle)
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/q&a/041118-6.htm
and so on.

You can get it out of your muscles by setting a high cadence on the
descent.

Personally, I favour taking a breather at the top of a big hill climb,
maybe reading a book for a while or maybe having a nap... and then doing
a minimum of pedalling at all, and while in a shagged-out state, trying
to avoid crashing on the descent :-) .

xxx
p aka f_n

ps: the above is a guaranteed way to avoid PBs!

Lateral knee pain - Iliotibial Band Syndrome [email protected] UK 12 July 9th 05 08:53 AM
Knee pain alleviated! Dale Benjamin Techniques 39 September 22nd 04 03:49 AM
Sharp Pain in Knee Michael Techniques 16 September 4th 04 11:54 PM
Lower Back Pain from Cycling Kara Racing 9 September 3rd 04 06:28 PM
knee/leg pain Niteynite1 Recumbent Biking 2 October 17th 03 10:08 PM