New carbon or older titanium?

Old May 14th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cohen

Default New carbon or older titanium?

Looking at some newer full-carbon bikes (eg, new Fuji Team Pro for $1400,
used 2005 Trek 5.2 Madone for $1300). Found a 1998 Litespeed Natchez
titanium in good shape for $800. Are the older ti frames comparable to newer
ones, or have there been a lot of advances in ti frames the last few yrs? In
general, how does an older ti frame compare to new carbons? Thanks.

Old May 14th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On May 14, 9:48 am, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
Looking at some newer full-carbon bikes (eg, new Fuji Team Pro for $1400,
used 2005 Trek 5.2 Madone for $1300). Found a 1998 Litespeed Natchez
titanium in good shape for $800. Are the older ti frames comparable to newer
ones, or have there been a lot of advances in ti frames the last few yrs? In
general, how does an older ti frame compare to new carbons? Thanks.

I think older ti frames are a great deal and can be found a very
reasonable price. I've seen late 90s Merlin Extralights, Litespeed
Vortex and Serotta Legends sell as *complete* bikes, with 90s DA 9 or
Record 9 groups, in the $1200-1500 range.

How does it compare to today's carbons? Figure an older Extralight or
Vortex frame weighed in around 2.5 to 2.8 pounds. Today's new fancy
carbon frames, especially those coming out of Taiwan, weigh about 2.2
to 2.4 pounds.

Forks are lighter today too, weighing in around 300g versus the older
350-400g for carbon steerer tube forks. The major difference is that
today's frames all come with 1 and 1/8" fork; while the older 90s/
early 2000 ti frames probably used 1" forks. Nevertheless, 1" forks
are still available from all the major mfrs like Reynolds, True Temper
(Alpha Q) and Easton.

IF you find a good deal and like ti, then get it and RIDE!!!!

Old May 14th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 14, 11:41 am, bfd wrote:
On May 14, 9:48 am, "Zen Cohen" wrote:

I was going to call bull, but then I saw I had read

Forks are lighter today too,

as

Folks are lighter today too.

Think I'll let that thread sleep...

Old May 15th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

I think older ti frames are a great deal and can be found a very
reasonable price. I've seen late 90s Merlin Extralights, Litespeed
Vortex and Serotta Legends sell as *complete* bikes, with 90s DA 9 or
Record 9 groups, in the $1200-1500 range.

Unless warranty policies have changed, an older Merlin Extralight (or other
similar "ultralight" Ti bikes) might not be the best bet. Those come from a
time when the Ti manufacturers thought it a good idea to try and compete
with carbon frames on the basis of weight, and that just wasn't a good idea.
You can build a very solid carbon frame at 2.5 lbs, but the floor for a
solid Ti frame, at the time, was closer to 3lbs or so. The "ultralights"
tended to prove the point that there is a bottom floor for weight which is
tough to go below without having problems (typically downtubes that would
develop tears at the cable stop fittings). There should be few issues with
slightly-heavier Ti frames.

Do keep in mind that any used bike should be considered as-is, with no
manufacturer support behind it in the event something fails, even if
obviously defective. That applies to frames made of carbon, steel or ti.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

ups.com...

Old May 15th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
t...
Unless warranty policies have changed, an older Merlin Extralight (or
other similar "ultralight" Ti bikes) might not be the best bet. Those come
from a time when the Ti manufacturers thought it a good idea to try and
compete with carbon frames on the basis of weight, and that just wasn't a
good idea. You can build a very solid carbon frame at 2.5 lbs, but the
floor for a solid Ti frame, at the time, was closer to 3lbs or so. The
"ultralights" tended to prove the point that there is a bottom floor for
weight which is tough to go below without having problems (typically
downtubes that would develop tears at the cable stop fittings). There
should be few issues with slightly-heavier Ti frames.

Actually, the problems with the downtubes developing a break (or tear as
Mike calls it) at the cable stop fitting (shifter boss) is not limited to
the Extralight. My buddy has a Massachusett-built Merlin titanium Standard
Road frame (not the Extralight) and after 10+ years of riding, his developed
a nice crack around the shifter boss. Luckily, he's a lightweight at about
140 pounds and caught the crack in time.. Since he was the original owner,
he returned it to Litespeed and they repaired it with a new downtube and
headtube for free. After talking to three high end shops in the SF Bay Area,
it appears that this was a common problem for both standard AND extralight
Merlins.

Old May 15th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 14, 10:48 am, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
Looking at some newer full-carbon bikes (eg, new Fuji Team Pro for $1400,
used 2005 Trek 5.2 Madone for $1300). Found a 1998 Litespeed Natchez
titanium in good shape for $800. Are the older ti frames comparable to newer
ones, or have there been a lot of advances in ti frames the last few yrs? In
general, how does an older ti frame compare to new carbons? Thanks.

Not possible to compare anything but sizing. BUT titanium will
generally last forever if welded well and Litespeed has been doing
this for a while.
Basic ti tubes have gotten shaped and such but an oversized tube ti
frame is a great frameset. Carbon, for all it's whizbangery, will
probably not have the lifespan of titanium. Can you ride each? Do they
all fit you?

Old May 15th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On May 14, 12:48 pm, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
Looking at some newer full-carbon bikes (eg, new Fuji Team Pro for $1400,
used 2005 Trek 5.2 Madone for $1300). Found a 1998 Litespeed Natchez
titanium in good shape for $800. Are the older ti frames comparable to newer
ones, or have there been a lot of advances in ti frames the last few yrs? In
general, how does an older ti frame compare to new carbons? Thanks.

Since you are looking at full bikes, not just frames, the components
make a big
difference in the price. I would go with the bike with the best set
of components.
Most riders will get tired of riding the same bike, even though there
is nothing wrong
with it, long before the bike breaks.
--------------------
Alex

Old May 16th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 15, 11:40 am, Alex wrote:
On May 14, 12:48 pm, "Zen Cohen" wrote:

Looking at some newer full-carbon bikes (eg, new Fuji Team Pro for $1400,
used 2005 Trek 5.2 Madone for $1300). Found a 1998 Litespeed Natchez
titanium in good shape for $800. Are the older ti frames comparable to newer
ones, or have there been a lot of advances in ti frames the last few yrs? In
general, how does an older ti frame compare to new carbons? Thanks.

Since you are looking at full bikes, not just frames, the components
make a big
difference in the price. I would go with the bike with the best set
of components.
Most riders will get tired of riding the same bike, even though there
is nothing wrong
with it, long before the bike breaks.
--------------------
Alex

'Most'? I think this is backwards. Components are consumables, the
frame is the heart of the bike. Like I have said before, i would
rather ride my Merckx with Sora than the latest whizbangery with
Record. BUT fit is the key, not which derailleur it has.

Old May 16th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

Dans le message de
ups.com,
Qui si parla Campagnolo a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
On May 15, 11:40 am, Alex wrote:
[...]

So your (recently acquired) Merckx is your latest "last bike" ?

Old May 17th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Dans le message roups.com,

On May 15, 11:40 am, Alex wrote:
[...]

?? Ride my MXLeader almost everyday..when it's dry. Ride my Moots when
it's wet. As I get older and approach .6 of a century, my desired
'window' of what kind of frame I want to ride into the sunset gets
smaller, not larger. I think I am on my last frame now.

FA: Carbon / Titanium Skewers Andrew F Martin Marketplace 0 August 29th 06 06:33 AM
Instructions for older USE Alien Carbon Seat Clamp Dawgwalker Techniques 1 July 2nd 06 10:59 PM
Carbon Road Forks for Older Bicycles Broken Bicyclist Techniques 16 August 26th 05 03:32 AM
Titanium or carbon Tim Axtelle General 6 July 20th 03 04:50 AM
Titanium or carbon Tim Axtelle Racing 5 July 20th 03 04:50 AM