Hazard Perception Test???

Old February 5th 12, 10:41 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default Hazard Perception Test???

On 04/02/2012 23:24, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Just a driver" wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:35:12 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Not asking them to. Just wondering why they think the basics of the
Highway code doesn't apply to cyclists.

Probably the same reason drivers don't think they apply to them.

Rules 124 and 125, for example...

Guy

Or that cyclist think that rule 59 of the Highway Code doesn't apply
them!

Clothing. You should wear

a.. a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct
size and securely fastened

b.. appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled
in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

c.. *light* *coloured* or *fluorescent* *clothing* which helps other road
users to see you in daylight and poor light

d.. *reflective* *clothing* and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands)
in the dark

Aren't they supposed to have a bicycle bell, too - or at any rate some
audible means of warning of their approach, like my mode of transport is
obliged by law to have? Or did that get repealed along with the laws
about shooting red lights, riding on the pavement, having working lights.

Compulsory insurance would be a good idea for cyclists, too.

Their fridge freezer insurance covers that Tim. Apparently.

Old February 5th 12, 11:20 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

wrote:

Not asking them to. Just wondering why they think the basics of the
Highway code doesn't apply to cyclists.

Probably the same reason drivers don't think they apply to them.

Rules 124 and 125, for example...

Guy

Or that cyclist think that rule 59 of the Highway Code doesn't apply them!

Clothing. You should wear

a.. a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct
size and securely fastened

b.. appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled
in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

c.. *light* *coloured* or *fluorescent* *clothing* which helps other road
users to see you in daylight and poor light

d.. *reflective* *clothing* and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands)
in the dark

I'm not anti-cyclist, but it's surprising how many cyclists wear drab
clothing (and have no lights) in conditions of poor visabilty, and then
scream blue murder or bang the roof of the vehicle when the driver *cannot*
see them against a dark background [1] - and those 83% of cyclists who also
drive
vehicles really should be more aware of the hazards of not using such gear
in *all* weather conditions.

[1] And when you stop and tell them that, they still blame the vehicle
driver.

I refer the hon. gentleman to my previous reply:
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old February 5th 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:24:16 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Aren't they supposed to have a bicycle bell, too - or at any rate some
audible means of warning of their approach

There is no legal requirement to have a bell fitted. The human voice
is versatile enough to give warning of approach, but in any case it's
best to keep on the road where such things are much less necessary.

Guy
Old February 5th 12, 11:23 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Jeff[_21_]

Or that cyclist think that rule 59 of the Highway Code doesn't apply them!

Clothing. You should wear

a.. a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct
size and securely fastened

b.. appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled
in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

c.. *light* *coloured* or *fluorescent* *clothing* which helps other road
users to see you in daylight and poor light

d.. *reflective* *clothing* and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands)
in the dark

None of which are required by law.

Jeff
Old February 5th 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Jeff[_21_]

There is no legal requirement to have a bell fitted.

Depends where you live, it is required in NI and IoM

Jeff
Old February 5th 12, 11:39 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
polygonum

wrote:

Aren't they supposed to have a bicycle bell, too - or at any rate some
audible means of warning of their approach, like my mode of transport is
obliged by law to have? Or did that get repealed along with the laws
about shooting red lights, riding on the pavement, having working lights.

Compulsory insurance would be a good idea for cyclists, too.

And it the ideal question for taunting young girls with a certain name.
Isabel necessary on a bicycle?

--
Rod
Old February 5th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Phil W Lee wrote:
Let's hope they have more regard for the Highway Code when driving a
car.

Why would they show any more regard than any other motorist?

Not asking them to. Just wondering why they think the basics of the
Highway code doesn't apply to cyclists.

Why do you think most motorists think the basics of the Highway code
don't apply to themselves? Probably the same for cyclists.

Followups set.
Old February 5th 12, 11:58 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 05/02/2012 11:23, Jeff wrote:

Or that cyclist think that rule 59 of the Highway Code doesn't apply
them!

Clothing. You should wear

a.. a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct
size and securely fastened

b.. appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled
in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

c.. *light* *coloured* or *fluorescent* *clothing* which helps other
road
users to see you in daylight and poor light

d.. *reflective* *clothing* and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle
bands)
in the dark

None of which are required by law.

But are required by those with common sense.

University
Old February 5th 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins

In article , JNugent wrote:
On 04/02/2012 08:19, Mark O'Knee wrote:
On 03/02/2012 18:14, Mr. Benn wrote:

Anyone got any advice on how to pass the hazard perception part of the
driving test? [...]

Interesting discussion - for a change - but completely irrelevant to all the
newsgroups posted to. Do you have a problem identifying on-topic groups, or
are you jsut out to be accused of being a troll?

Mr. Benn has been complaining he's been the victim of forgeries.
Could be someone else out to get him accused of being a troll.

Apparently, more than 83% of cyclists also have a driving licence and access
to a motor vehicle.

So it's hard to identify many NGs where his post (requesting information from
whippersnappers who have experience of this new-fangled "theory" test, WTMB)
would be more on topic.

And your excuse for including uk.d-i-y?

Followups set.
Old February 5th 12, 12:00 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 05/02/2012 10:36, Mrcheerful wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 04/02/2012 15:15, Terry Fields wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Many years ago, when God was a boy, my sales manager was an ex
police pursuit driver. When we went out to see major accounts, I
drove& he taught me the police commentary driving method.

In answer to the question "how far ahead should you be looking" he
used to "as far as you can see".

When my daughters learned to drive I tried the hazard perception CD&
failed miserably many times.

What I regarded as a potential hazard was regarded as over clicking.

You only need to click the glaringly obvious hazards IME.

As a biker I'd have to say that IMHO if one waits until a potential
hazard becomes an emerging hazard, one's motorcycle career is likely
to be shorter than longer.

I thinks that's also why the police have that view - chasing a scrote
in a stolen Astra at 100mph means you have to look ahead& anticipate.

Always makes me laugh on that Police Interceptors show on telly.
Untrained scrote is Astra trys to out run highly trained police driver
in a Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru Impreza.

Not going to work is it?

I get depressed at how bad the police are at actually stopping someone that
doesn't agree to. If they were trying to stop a banger driver they would
lose a large number of cars and he would get away, they seem to almost
deliberately position their cars so that someone can get round them for
instance. There was one I watched where they tried to stop an Insignia VXR,
the guy outdrove them for about an hour before solid traffic stopped him.

I reckon they should fit police cars with a giant harpoon. They could
fire it into the back of the scrotemobile & safely bring it to a halt.

University