Cyclists in Cambridge to be fined for jumping red lights

Old April 24th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Alan Braggins

Default Cyclists in Cambridge to be fined for jumping red lights

In article , Andrew May wrote:
On 24/04/2012 16:38, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:14 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, Andrew May remarked:
Why should a bike pay cost of issue whereas something like a Mini
Cooper Diesel pays zero?

Does it really? So it's not just technology law which has unintended
consequences.

What are the unintended consequences? up to 100g CO2 / km and VED is zero.

No-one is seriously suggesting that bicycles should pay more.

It might be more accurate to say that no-one who suggests that bicycles
should pay more should be taken seriously.
Old April 24th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Roland Perry

In message , at 17:42:51 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, JNugent remarked:
I'd suggest a 100g vehicle should pay half what a 200g does. Or is that too
simple?

Including the per-mile equivalent of the fuel duty and VAT, or just ignoring it?

And if the latter, why?

The 200g vehicle will be using twice the fuel of the 100g vehicle, so it
all scales perfectly well.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 24th 12, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Nick Finnigan

On 24/04/2012 17:10, Andrew May wrote:
On 24/04/2012 16:38, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:14 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, Andrew May remarked:
Why should a bike pay cost of issue whereas something like a Mini
Cooper Diesel pays zero?

Does it really? So it's not just technology law which has unintended
consequences.

What are the unintended consequences? up to 100g CO2 / km and VED is zero.

No-one is seriously suggesting that bicycles should pay more.

The existing VED rate for bicycles is more. Many times more.
Old April 25th 12, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 01:27:42 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Bertie Wooster considered Tue, 24 Apr 2012
16:19:27 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:54:18 +0100, Dona Ferentes
wrote:

On 24-Apr-12 15:51, Andrew May wrote:
On 24/04/2012 15:16, Ed Weatherup wrote:
On 18/04/2012 12:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Apr 18, 11:32 am, Tim wrote:
Seems unlikely to me. Most such things are expensive, there's no reason
obvious to me why this should be any different.

Agreed - it would be cash negative like issuing bicycles with VED
discs that read "fee paid £0" on them.

--
Simon Mason

The solution that that last problem is VED discs on bicycles saying "fee
paid £x" where x cost of issue.

Why should a bike pay cost of issue whereas something like a Mini
Cooper Diesel pays zero?

See also:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=51310285

I've updated that photo of a bicycle to a family sized bike... just
for you. ;-)

Where's the trailer?

As it happens, I have just fitted a Carry Freedom Commercial trailer
hitch to the real axle of my tandem.

Clare and I plan to go cycle touring in the summer, and I have a 240L
aluminium box for my Y-Frame Large trailer. I paid the extra £30 to
have the ball and socket hitch fitted - it's far better than the
standard hitch.
Old April 25th 12, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 25/04/2012 01:33, Phil W Lee wrote:
Andrew considered Tue, 24 Apr 2012
15:57:59 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On Apr 18, 11:32 am, Tim wrote:
Seems unlikely to me. Most such things are expensive, there's no
reason
obvious to me why this should be any different.

Agreed - it would be cash negative like issuing bicycles with VED
discs that read "fee paid £0" on them.

--
Simon Mason

The solution that that last problem is VED discs on bicycles saying "fee
paid £x" where x cost of issue.

Why should a bike pay cost of issue whereas something like a Mini
Cooper
Diesel pays zero?

Diesel is now zero-rated for duty and VAT, is it?

When did that happen?

The discussion was about VED.

I can and have run my diesel on fuel on which no duty or VAT were
paid. Legally.
I don't pay VED or London congestion charge* for it, either, but
that's because I can't walk.
I don't recommend this last matter as a route to economy though.
I'd much rather have better use of my legs.

*Or, generally, parking charges or tolls at crossings.

Sponging freeloader.

University
Old April 25th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Simon Mason

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message

Despite having no legal authority to do so?
That would be obstructing the highway.
Of course, it would be a waste of time anyway, as they also lack the
authority to demand name and address, so if it ever comes to pass I
would expect to see the likes of mickey mouse and donald duck having
large numbers of unpaid fines recorded against their names.
That'll give the bailiffs a laugh.

Oh sorry you mean physically catch them? In a large net probably ;-)

Nope, see my first point, and add assault.
Not a good career move for any local government employee.

My mate once gave the name of John Menzies when he was caught by the fuzz
one night.
Sadly the cop was Scots and was suspicious when he did not pronounce it as
Mingis.

--
Simon Mason
Old April 26th 12, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
thirty-six

On Apr 25, 9:32*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"Phil W Lee" wrote in messagenews:gmhep7h05dlemfqele3trrln5l3kub2skc@4ax .com...

Despite having no legal authority to do so?
That would be obstructing the highway.
Of course, it would be a waste of time anyway, as they also lack the
authority to demand name and address, so if it ever comes to pass I
would expect to see the likes of mickey mouse and donald duck having
large numbers of unpaid fines recorded against their names.
That'll give the bailiffs a laugh.

Oh sorry you mean physically catch them? *In a large net probably ;-)

Nope, see my first point, and add assault.
Not a good career move for any local government employee.

My mate once gave the name of John Menzies when he was caught by the fuzz
one night.
Sadly the cop was Scots and was suspicious when he did not pronounce it as
Mingis.

I've been asked for documentary ID despite being in the parish and
there only being 5 coppers on the beat, so to speak, at least 3 of
them know me by sight and it would take not a minute to ID me by voice
on the radio. I will not now carry documents unless outside the
parish, and only as a "driver" outside the county. If they arrest,
it'll be a bigger problem to them than to me. It really is a nice
lager i found at a £ for 500ml. :-)
Old April 26th 12, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:32:42 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
.. .

Despite having no legal authority to do so?
That would be obstructing the highway.
Of course, it would be a waste of time anyway, as they also lack the
authority to demand name and address, so if it ever comes to pass I
would expect to see the likes of mickey mouse and donald duck having
large numbers of unpaid fines recorded against their names.
That'll give the bailiffs a laugh.

Oh sorry you mean physically catch them? In a large net probably ;-)

Nope, see my first point, and add assault.
Not a good career move for any local government employee.

My mate once gave the name of John Menzies when he was caught by the fuzz
one night.
Sadly the cop was Scots and was suspicious when he did not pronounce it as
Mingis.

Oh - you mean exactly how the Scottish newsagents John Menzies is pronounced?

(Why do you make these things up?)
Old April 27th 12, 06:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 26, 2:24*am, thirty-six wrote:
My mate once gave the name of John Menzies when he was caught by the fuzz
one night.
Sadly the cop was Scots and was suspicious when he did not pronounce it as
Mingis.

I've been asked for documentary ID despite being in the parish and
there only being 5 coppers on the beat, so to speak, at least 3 of
them know me by sight and it would take not a minute to ID me by voice
on the radio. *I will not now carry documents unless outside the
parish, and only as a "driver" outside the county. If they arrest,
it'll be a bigger problem to them than to me. *It really is a nice
lager i found at a £ for 500ml. *:-)- Hide quoted text -

I was arrested for taking a leak of some grass once and the cop spent
15 minutes checking out my name and address on the police computer.
After he got a positive hit, he asked me for any ID, so I gave him my
photo driving licence :-/
Not the brightest of pins, was he?

--
Simon Mason
Old April 27th 12, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,cam.transport,uk.transport
Ed Weatherup

On Apr 18, 11:32 am, Tim wrote:
Seems unlikely to me. Most such things are expensive, there's no reason
obvious to me why this should be any different.

Agreed - it would be cash negative like issuing bicycles with VED
discs that read "fee paid £0" on them.

--
Simon Mason

The solution that that last problem is VED discs on bicycles saying "fee
paid £x" where x cost of issue.

Why should a bike pay cost of issue whereas something like a Mini
Cooper Diesel pays zero?

MCD should *also* pay £x, where again x cost of issue.

--
Ed