Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees

Old March 22nd 04, 11:09 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees

RE/
Hurray for $3+ gasoline prices. Now a national network or bike lanes and we
will be done.

If you do the math even $3/gal gas prices won't make much of a dent.

My reckoning is that we've had 700% inflation since the late fifties/early
sixties.

Based on that assumption, gas at $2.10/gallon in 2004 dollars is still thirty
cents a gallon in Fonz-dollars.
--
PeteCresswell

Old March 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "(Pete Cresswell)"

My reckoning is that we've had 700% inflation since the late fifties/early
sixties.

Based on that assumption, gas at $2.10/gallon in 2004 dollars is still thirty
cents a gallon in Fonz-dollars.

But are you making seven times what your job returned at your reference point?
--TP
Old March 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
Tom Paterson

Old March 23rd 04, 01:05 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
But are you making seven times what your job returned at your reference point?

More like 20. I was a teenaged kid working in a chicken hatchery at the
time...shortly after which I became an E-1 in the service.

In terms of actual buying power, the most take-home money I ever earned in my
life by far was parking cars at a place called Michele's Restaurant at the foot
of Diamond head in Hawaii in the mid-to-late sixties. About fifty bucks a
nite; hard, cold, tax-free cash. No vacation, no medical, no sick days, no
nothing except cash. For almost a year after that gig dried up I'd find
fistfuls of wadded-up dollars stuffed here and there in my dwelling... and I was
making chickenfeed compared to the waiters who worked there.

Now I'm a tactical computer application developer. Still no vacation, still no
medical, still no sick days....but, OTOH, the work's steadier and I don't have
to sprint for somebody's car every 37 seconds.
--
PeteCresswell

Old March 23rd 04, 01:54 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "(Pete Cresswell)"

But are you making seven times what your job returned at your reference

point?

More like 20. I was a teenaged kid working in a chicken hatchery at the
time...shortly after which I became an E-1 in the service.

Not quite what I meant... Doubting that either chickens or army is paying seven
times what they were back then. --TP
Old March 23rd 04, 01:54 AM
Tom Paterson

Old March 23rd 04, 02:24 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Not quite what I meant... Doubting that either chickens or army is paying seven
times what they were back then. --TP

I think you're right. People in technical work tend to earn more as they get
older.

Working as a baggage masher at Honoruru internatinal (Western Airlines, then Pan
Am), my paycheck was about $98 per week.

Working as a fulltime regular employee at Philadelphia Electric in 1971, I was
grossing $4.90 per hour - call it 10k per year. Dunno what a junior programmer
starts at now, but I'd bet it's less than 40k.
--
PeteCresswell