Obstructions

Old December 18th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Obstructions

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

A 30-pound short-tailed obstruction paused to let me stop and get my
camera out:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zlxhra.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5ufqmq.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 19th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Mooring

In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

A 30-pound short-tailed obstruction paused to let me stop and get my
camera out:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zlxhra.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5ufqmq.jpg

They're supposed to be shy. That one didn't look shy to me. Neither do the
ones around my office (south end of Silicon Valley). 30 pounds of 'tude.

Question for you (and John Dacy if he happens to read this): What do you use
to carry your camera? I've just acquired a DSLR and I'm fond of taking a
camera on my rides, but I don't like jamming the camera bag in the trunk
bag, and wearing the fanny-pack style camera bag doesn't quite work for me
either.

This isn't an obstruction, but will tell you why I want to carry a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmooring/4152794350/
Old December 19th 09, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Ed Mooring wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

A 30-pound short-tailed obstruction paused to let me stop and get my
camera out:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zlxhra.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5ufqmq.jpg

They're supposed to be shy. That one didn't look shy to me. Neither do the
ones around my office (south end of Silicon Valley). 30 pounds of 'tude.[...]

Here kitty kitty!

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 19th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 03:45:20 -0600, Ed Mooring
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

A 30-pound short-tailed obstruction paused to let me stop and get my
camera out:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zlxhra.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5ufqmq.jpg

They're supposed to be shy. That one didn't look shy to me. Neither do the
ones around my office (south end of Silicon Valley). 30 pounds of 'tude.

Question for you (and John Dacy if he happens to read this): What do you use
to carry your camera? I've just acquired a DSLR and I'm fond of taking a
camera on my rides, but I don't like jamming the camera bag in the trunk
bag, and wearing the fanny-pack style camera bag doesn't quite work for me
either.

This isn't an obstruction, but will tell you why I want to carry a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmooring/4152794350/

Dear Ed,

A small waist bag from WalMart with hefty straps and little internal
pockets for spare batteries and so forth works for my point and shoot
level of photography:
http://i50.tinypic.com/70f8s8.jpg

I grew up wearing similar bags full of off-road motorcycle tools, so I
may be blind to their problems on bicycles. It's convenient to just
grab the bag and go, whether I'm going for a ride or a walk.

I think that John Dacey carries a tripod on his bike and uses a more
impressive camera (for more impressive photos).

A Bento box on the top tube might work for you:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...09a71c26eef531

I think that Frank Krygowski uses a handlebar bag.

That thing in your photo sure looks like an obstruction:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3dbbfaf40afe2b
http://i10.tinypic.com/5x3f98n.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 20th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Ed Mooring wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:48:12 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

A 30-pound short-tailed obstruction paused to let me stop and get my
camera out:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zlxhra.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5ufqmq.jpg

They're supposed to be shy. That one didn't look shy to me. Neither do the
ones around my office (south end of Silicon Valley). 30 pounds of 'tude.

Question for you (and John Dacy if he happens to read this): What do you use
to carry your camera? I've just acquired a DSLR and I'm fond of taking a
camera on my rides, but I don't like jamming the camera bag in the trunk
bag, and wearing the fanny-pack style camera bag doesn't quite work for me
either.

This isn't an obstruction, but will tell you why I want to carry a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmooring/4152794350/

Brilliant picture. It has everything.
Composition, color composition, contrast, light, interest.
As far as I can tell it is technically impeccable.
You must be very proud.

--
Michael Press
Old December 20th 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Mooring

wrote:

Question for you (and John Dacy if he happens to read this): What do you use
to carry your camera? I've just acquired a DSLR and I'm fond of taking a
camera on my rides, but I don't like jamming the camera bag in the trunk
bag, and wearing the fanny-pack style camera bag doesn't quite work for me
either.

This isn't an obstruction, but will tell you why I want to carry a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmooring/4152794350/

Dear Ed,

A small waist bag from WalMart with hefty straps and little internal
pockets for spare batteries and so forth works for my point and shoot
level of photography:
http://i50.tinypic.com/70f8s8.jpg

You do some very good work with that point-and-shoot.

I grew up wearing similar bags full of off-road motorcycle tools, so I
may be blind to their problems on bicycles. It's convenient to just
grab the bag and go, whether I'm going for a ride or a walk.

I may just need to get used to the style of bag. I did something
similar when I just had the P&S. Of course, I'm always searching
for the perfect stowage for whatever equipment I own. I've tried 6
or 7 briefcases and 2 backpacks for my laptop, and still haven't
figured out what would be best. I've only had the camera a couple
of months, so I really don't know what I need.

I think that John Dacey carries a tripod on his bike and uses a more
impressive camera (for more impressive photos).

I hope he'll weigh in on this topic (and John, apologies for the
missing 'e' in your surname).

A Bento box on the top tube might work for you:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...09a71c26eef531

I think that Frank Krygowski uses a handlebar bag.

The Bento box is too small. Even a relatively small DSLR like my
D5000 is about 4" x 5" x 8" with the 55-200mm lens. The handlebar
bag idea is interesting. I ride a hybrid with wide, flat bars so
there's lots of room.

That thing in your photo sure looks like an obstruction:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3dbbfaf40afe2b
http://i10.tinypic.com/5x3f98n.jpg

I didn't call it an obstruction because I wasn't commuting. I was on
a nice relaxing ride through a wetlands reserve. The bird's supposed
to be there.

I didn't know you had GBHs in your neck of the woods. I think of
them as mostly coastal, but Google informs me otherwise. They seem
to be everywhere in North America.

Thanks for the infor.,
Old December 20th 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 01:03:09 -0600, Ed Mooring
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Speaking of unexpected coastal obstructions . . .

These aerial obstruction often startle visitors to Pueblo, who
mistakenly think that they're seeing vultures soaring high against the
pitiless desert sun:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2hwlojn.jpg

It sure _looks_ like vulture country:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2010eav.jpg

And there are certainly turkey vultures in the area:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2wd3was.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/j6o5y8.jpg

But a dense flock of obstructions soaring almost out of sight toward
the sun along the Arkansas River usually turns out to be something
else.

Here they are, taking off at the foot of that butte:
http://i47.tinypic.com/34q4jli.jpg

A little higher:
http://i48.tinypic.com/12692rs.jpg

As for your camera, there are also chest bags if the handlebar doesn't
work out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hest_Pack.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 20th 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Mooring

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Ed Mooring wrote:
This isn't an obstruction, but will tell you why I want to carry a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmooring/4152794350/

Brilliant picture. It has everything.
Composition, color composition, contrast, light, interest.
As far as I can tell it is technically impeccable.
You must be very proud.

Thank you. I am extremely pleased with this picture.

I got lucky this time. Now I need to practice enough
to be able to get the next one.

Ed M
Old December 21st 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Ed Mooring wrote:
Question for you (and John Dacy if he happens to read this): What do you use
to carry your camera? I've just acquired a DSLR and I'm fond of taking a
camera on my rides, but I don't like jamming the camera bag in the trunk
bag, and wearing the fanny-pack style camera bag doesn't quite work for me
either.

Nice photos on this thread!!!

As for carrying the camera on the bike, I think there are different
methods, not all of which I've tried.

(1) Get a good handlebar bag which has ample cushioning. As it'll be
suspended from the handlebars, It'll be protected from the very worst
;-) Also, get a KlickFix handlebar bag, which works well as an off-bike
photo bag and you can take it off quickly. My wife uses one, though we
seldom used it for cycling.

(2) Bury the camera in your "saddle-bag" (pannier), between layers of
rain-clothes and spare clothes. Access is a little restricted, though I
guess your camera is relatively well protected.

(3) Recently I got me a Tamrac Velocity bag, which is quite comfy while
being carried, though I don't know how well they carry when cycling
longer-distance... Generally I try to prevent carrying anything on the
body, so I'm not sure about this one. Anyway, take your camera along
when you try it on - I needed to exchange mine for the larger model.
These bags carry on the stomach or back and they do have a waist-strap.
http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm

What I'm still considering - I want to buy a 'bent trike (once I have
the necessary garage space). It should be possible to build a suspended
camera mount for those ;-) Which would allow you to shoot picture while
riding ;-)

Ciao...
Old December 22nd 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Mooring

In article ,
wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 01:03:09 -0600, Ed Mooring
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Dear Carl of the URLs,

Speaking of unexpected coastal obstructions . . .

These aerial obstruction often startle visitors to Pueblo, who
mistakenly think that they're seeing vultures soaring high against the
pitiless desert sun:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2hwlojn.jpg

I knew about them. The first time I saw them was disconcerting. I was rafting
down the Snake River from Grand Teton and there they were. Pelicans at 6000
feet. Not what I was expecting.

It sure _looks_ like vulture country:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2010eav.jpg

Nice shot. Reminds me of the place near Dubois, Wyoming where I about got
eaten alive by horseflies.

And there are certainly turkey vultures in the area:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2wd3was.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/j6o5y8.jpg

They're *everyhwere*. We've got a batch that like to hang out in a tree
overlooking the trail near my office. Makes the joggers very nervous.
I keep telling them "As long as you're moving, you're OK." They seem
to think that means sprinting.

But a dense flock of obstructions soaring almost out of sight toward
the sun along the Arkansas River usually turns out to be something
else.

Here they are, taking off at the foot of that butte:
http://i47.tinypic.com/34q4jli.jpg

A little higher:
http://i48.tinypic.com/12692rs.jpg

Very cool. I hope there weren't as many horseflies as I had to deal with.

As for your camera, there are also chest bags if the handlebar doesn't
work out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hest_Pack.html

Thanks. I'll look into chest bags.
--