Child seat

Old March 19th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Child seat

On Mar 19, 3:18*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:28*pm, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:

I'm looking for a child seat options. Thinking of mounting the seat on
the seatpost of my bikes
but I believe both the 29er and the "fitness" bike can take racks.
The child is 3 m.o. and I'll have to wait until he can sit unless
there are lay flat options.

All seats I saw are forward facing which seems odd as deceleration
forces that I could develop vastly
surpass whatever puny acceleration I could accomplish.

Thanks.

Dear S,

It is madness to adopt any child seat design other than this:

*http://tinyurl.com/ydyz3of

Please, think of the children!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mom steering in 1896?
--D-y
Old March 19th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 19, 1:30*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:18*pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 16, 2:28*pm, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:

I'm looking for a child seat options. Thinking of mounting the seat on
the seatpost of my bikes
but I believe both the 29er and the "fitness" bike can take racks.
The child is 3 m.o. and I'll have to wait until he can sit unless
there are lay flat options.

All seats I saw are forward facing which seems odd as deceleration
forces that I could develop vastly
surpass whatever puny acceleration I could accomplish.

Thanks.

Dear S,

It is madness to adopt any child seat design other than this:

*http://tinyurl.com/ydyz3of

Please, think of the children!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mom steering in 1896?

Early fixie hipsters with child. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 19th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:30:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:18*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:28*pm, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:

I'm looking for a child seat options. Thinking of mounting the seat on
the seatpost of my bikes
but I believe both the 29er and the "fitness" bike can take racks.
The child is 3 m.o. and I'll have to wait until he can sit unless
there are lay flat options.

All seats I saw are forward facing which seems odd as deceleration
forces that I could develop vastly
surpass whatever puny acceleration I could accomplish.

Thanks.

Dear S,

It is madness to adopt any child seat design other than this:

*http://tinyurl.com/ydyz3of

Please, think of the children!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mom steering in 1896?
--D-y

Dear D,

Lady-in-front was practically standard on 1890s tandems, and remote
steering was common:

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pi...cc_library.jpg
http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...890+Tandem.jpg

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pi...cc_library.jpg
http://americanhistory.si.edu/ONTHEM...bject_296.html

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com...c1/IMG0069.asp
http://tinyurl.com/yzvfuok
http://tinyurl.com/yloaqst
http://tinyurl.com/yz2czf9

http://www.in.gov/history/files/bicycles.pdf
(tandem lady-in-front tricycle at top, tandem bike page 9)

The freaks were the ones that put the lady in back:
http://i44.tinypic.com/m927bp.jpg
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1934-bs...d-arms-tandem/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 22nd 10, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Squat'n Dive wrote:
What do I need a helmet for? I don't wear one, does my kid need a
helmet?

Though I agree with you, helmet-hysteria has reached absurd levels here
- I regularly see small children wearing a helmet while using a Bobbycar
or a trike - some even when walking. You might even get mobbed for your
child not wearing a helmet by "concerned adults"...

When you actually look at the helmets most children wear, they're badly
fitting or loose (and might not help the child at all). Also be careful
to prevent your child from wearing a helmet on a playground, because
that may lead to injury.

But when putting your child into a "rack" seat, it might be ok to put a
helmet on your child, because the bike might fall over and the child has
basically no way of protecting itself - plus the helmet might actually
work in this scenario. This is talking about the bike standing (not
while cycling).

Then again, I do wonder how much some parents seem to hate their kids -
forcing them to wear a helmet in that child seat while wearing a
backpack themselves...

Ciao...
Old March 24th 10, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

On 22 ÍÁÒ, 10:22, Bernhard Agthe wrote:
[snip]

But when putting your child into a "rack" seat, it might be ok to put a
helmet on your child, because the bike might fall over and the child has
basically no way of protecting itself - plus the helmet might actually
work in this scenario. This is talking about the bike standing (not
while cycling).

Then again, I do wonder how much some parents seem to hate their kids -
forcing them to wear a helmet in that child seat while wearing a
backpack themselves...

the problem being?

child seat Liz Australia 7 November 17th 06 09:46 PM
Child seat at Tchibo druidh UK 0 September 24th 05 10:12 AM
Child cycle seat Mike UK 3 June 4th 04 04:05 PM
Child seat. rda UK 14 March 24th 04 12:21 AM
Recommendations for a child seat... Toby Barrett UK 6 September 1st 03 06:00 PM