I'm gonna take my ball and go home

Old November 21st 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Default I'm gonna take my ball and go home

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phin...-track-pursuit

Ya' know, up to now I've read mini-Phinney's comments online with a
bit of acceptance for what appeared to be egotism. I've always
assumed he was just being a kid, albeit a very talented and confident
kid.

But, now he seems to be clearly overly impressed with himself,
thinking that if he threatens to stop racing on the track then the UCI
and IOC will surely change their minds on the issue of the pursuit.

I'm pretty sure they don't care.
Old November 21st 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Nov 20, 7:52*pm, Scott wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phin...olympic-track-...

Ya' know, up to now I've read mini-Phinney's comments online with a
bit of acceptance for what appeared to be egotism. *I've always
assumed he was just being a kid, albeit a very talented and confident
kid.

But, now he seems to be clearly overly impressed with himself,
thinking that if he threatens to stop racing on the track then the UCI
and IOC will surely change their minds on the issue of the pursuit.

I'm pretty sure they don't care.

Well... I read that article at least once g and, although I'm sure
there's not much expression of "humble" anywhere in the Phinney-
Carpenter gene pool, I didn't see (or feel) any threatening.
Resignation in the face of loss, maybe. Acknowledgment of worthy-- and
superior-- competitors, wonderment at their home organizations not
supporting them.

There's a link to a petition. Yeah, this bs is probably a done deal,
and a damned shame, too, but I signed the petition. Pursuit is one of
the great events IMHO, which agrees with Phinney and others IRT the
attractions of the pursuit for riders and spectators. --D-y
Old November 21st 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Nov 21, 6:44*am, --D-y wrote:
On Nov 20, 7:52*pm, Scott wrote:

[...]

"If removed from the London Games in 2012, along with the men's
Madison and Points Race, Phinney has threatened to turn his back on
the velodrome and concentrate on a career in road racing."
Old November 21st 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

"If removed from the London Games in 2012, along with the men's
Madison and Points Race, Phinney has threatened to turn his back on
the velodrome and concentrate on a career in road racing."

I wonder if he could he be our next Tom Danielson (i.e., high
expectations in road racing, but no results)? Or can mini-phinney
actually ride in the bunch?
Old November 21st 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Scott wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phin...-track-pursuit

Ya' know, up to now I've read mini-Phinney's comments online with a
bit of acceptance for what appeared to be egotism. I've always
assumed he was just being a kid, albeit a very talented and confident
kid.

But, now he seems to be clearly overly impressed with himself,
thinking that if he threatens to stop racing on the track then the UCI
and IOC will surely change their minds on the issue of the pursuit.

I'm pretty sure they don't care.

Yes, that is how it comes across....the reality is Pat McQuaid doesn't give a
**** and I think it's great the UCI will eliminate the individual pursuit as a
medal event. Anything that helps stick a stake through the heart of the gerbil
wheel is something I will always endorse.

Magilla

Old November 21st 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Nov 21, 9:21*am, Scott wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:44*am, --D-y wrote:
On Nov 20, 7:52*pm, Scott wrote:

[...]

That's one reporter writing. Another might have written, "Phinney has
speculated that if the pursuit is no longer an option, he will
concentrate on his road racing career."

Old November 21st 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

bar wrote:

"If removed from the London Games in 2012, along with the men's
Madison and Points Race, Phinney has threatened to turn his back on
the velodrome and concentrate on a career in road racing."

I wonder if he could he be our next Tom Danielson (i.e., high
expectations in road racing, but no results)? Or can mini-phinney
actually ride in the bunch?

From a statistical standpoint, it would be foolish to bet on Phinney.
It is very unlikely he will win the Tour de France.

Magilla

Old November 21st 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Nov 21, 8:21*am, Scott wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:44*am, --D-y wrote:

On Nov 20, 7:52*pm, Scott wrote:

[...]

I didn't see a trace of "I'll get them for this!". That's a "threat".
I saw "I'll have to go elsewhere". That's "resignation", maybe with a
complaint.
The worst you can gig him for is "I have other items on my agenda". He
does, too.

I'm no admirer, in the personal sense, of Davis Phinney, or Connie Car-
painter Phinney, either.
Davis was the first USA pro, as far as I know, who could toe-to-toe
with the Euros on their ground.
I saw him race in the ToT, he schooled the bunch.
Connie who...? g
Just sayin'.
--D-y
Old November 21st 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_5_]

MagillaGorilla wrote:
From a statistical standpoint, it would be foolish to bet on Phinney.
It is very unlikely he will win the Tour de France.

The Tour de France is much to meaty, you need to take up fly fishing.
Old November 21st 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

bar wrote:
"If removed from the London Games in 2012, along with the men's
Madison and Points Race, Phinney has threatened to turn his back on
the velodrome and concentrate on a career in road racing."

I wonder if he could he be our next Tom Danielson (i.e., high
expectations in road racing, but no results)? Or can mini-phinney
actually ride in the bunch?

He can. Didn't he win U23 Paris-Roubaix? Anyway, he can't climb fer ****.

Someone's Not Gonna Like This Howard Kveck Racing 5 January 26th 09 04:12 PM
GETTING all types of loans consolidation, Money HOME BUSINESS EARNING$$$$ at HOME,study abroad with work permit [email protected] Techniques 0 December 13th 08 09:52 PM
I'm gonna be on TV beeper Unicycling 3 September 23rd 08 09:07 AM
I'm gonna be on TV vanpaun Unicycling 0 September 23rd 08 03:23 AM
we're gonna choke on it too 1oki General 20 March 28th 05 02:13 PM