{VIC} TAC: A simple question (sort of)

Old June 6th 06, 03:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default {VIC} TAC: A simple question (sort of)

The TAC Road Safety site has sections pertaining to Parents, Schools,
Older Drivers, Motorcyclists and Fleet.
http://www.tacsafety.com.au/

Virtually all the bicycle relevant information on the site relates to
parents instructing their children riding bikes. If there's adult
relevant information on this site, please tell me.

Now cyclists *are legally road traffic*, see here if you want the
details:
http://www.woj.com.au/australian-road-authority-links/

Cyclists (unfortunately) have their own category on the daily Road
stats:
http://tinyurl.com/s32wd

Now the simple point I'm attempting to make is that cyclists *do
require* they're own section on the TAC site. It would be virtually a
one-stop shop for all of TAC's cycling information and clear a lot of
misinformation and confusion people encounter when dealing with road
incidents.

A issue worth lobbying for?

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 05:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

I'd say so. Sounds like trawling the TAC for relevant bods to send
letters to is in order. Something to do when I get home and can devote
more than 30 sec attention slots

--
Resound

Old June 6th 06, 06:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:
I'd say so. Sounds like trawling the TAC for relevant bods to send
letters to is in order. Something to do when I get home and can devote
more than 30 sec attention slots

It's just so simple - now that cycling (on the surface) is now being
taken more seriously why can't the 'authorities' show a similar
approach to collating information? Been pondering this for the last
couple of hours, and a draft letter is taking shape...

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 06:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:
It's just so simple - now that cycling (on the surface) is now being
taken more seriously why can't the 'authorities' show a similar
approach to collating information? Been pondering this for the last
couple of hours, and a draft letter is taking shape...

Pls share it, for interstate adoption. Cycling is hidden deep by both
Queensland Transport and Brisbane City Council.

Donga

Old June 6th 06, 07:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:25:33 +1000
cfsmtb wrote:

It's just so simple - now that cycling (on the surface) is now being
taken more seriously why can't the 'authorities' show a similar
approach to collating information? Been pondering this for the last
couple of hours, and a draft letter is taking shape...

It's important to push them.

The motorcycle lobby groups are pushing for motorcycles to be counted
separately to cars as part of them being seen differently to cars. as
well as them getting money properly targetted.

The more stats they have that have two wheelers separate the better!

When I become dictator, road laws and rego/insurance costs will be
based on the amount of damage a vehicle can do. So the ones that can
do the least damage get the most funding and right of way

Zebee
Old June 6th 06, 03:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Resound Wrote:
I'd say so. Sounds like trawling the TAC for relevant bods to send
letters to is in order. Something to do when I get home and can devote
more than 30 sec attention slots

It's just so simple - now that cycling (on the surface) is now being
taken more seriously why can't the 'authorities' show a similar
approach to collating information? Been pondering this for the last
couple of hours, and a draft letter is taking shape...

--
cfsmtb

A quickie email. I'm offering it for thoughts and amendments and stuff
before it's sent.

To whosoever reads the email,

After looking through the TAC website for information regarding cycling it
became apparent that there isn’t any centralised point where this sort of
information can be found. You’ve produced sections aimed at a number of
different road using groups, including motorcyclists so you’re clearly
addressing as wide a section of the community as possible which is great,
but this is unfortunately one glaring omission.

There are an increasing number of cyclists on our roads brought about
partly by recent rises in fuel prices. Cyclists as road users are
particularly vulnerable and the level of misconception regarding the rights
and responsibilities of cyclists by both cyclists and other road users
exacerbates this vulnerability and results in impatience and dangerous
practices from all groups.

Given that you are an organisation which is a recognised authority on road
use and which is likely to be referred to by many people seeking information
on road use, it would be fantastic if you could offer some information of
pertinent regulations and best practices when using bicycles as transport.
There are a number of sources of this sort of information with regards to
vehicular cycling such as Bicycle Victoria and the Wheels of Justice group
who are perhaps not as well known as yourselves but who I’m sure would be
more than happy to help you compile this sort of information. Certainly
their websites ( http://www.bv.com.au/
http://www.woj.com.au/australian-road-authority-links/ ) contain a wealth of
information. While this does of course mean that this information is readily
available, it is perhaps not as easy to find nor are these groups as closely
associated with best road use practices as yourselves.

Please consider adding a dedicated section for cyclists as road users to
your website and other published material.

Regards,

Old June 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound wrote:

A quickie email. I'm offering it for thoughts and amendments and stuff
before it's sent.

Snippity

I like it :-) You're not angling for another house red are you?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old June 7th 06, 01:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:

[...]

Brilliant! Adds extra structure to the basic points I wish to make. Can
we utilise this as a basic template for a potential campaign?

--
cfsmtb

Old June 7th 06, 02:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Brilliant! Adds extra structure to the basic points I wish to make. Can
we utilise this as a basic template for a potential campaign?

Might also be worth creating a hook into TAC thinking by way of a
reference to their mission and other corporate words they have out
their in the public domain.

TAC Wrote:
The TAC's mission is to reduce road trauma and its impact on the lives
of accident victims in a caring, efficient and financially responsible
manner

They can achieve that mission better by not ignoring cyclists.

TAC also state
TAC Wrote:
The organisation pays benefits to people injured in an accident as a:
driver,
passenger,
pedestrian,
motorcyclist, or
cyclist.

Maybe a bottom-line impact can be referenced. TAC are very sensitive
about appropriate use of their funds so highlight that they are
ignoring a key part of their accident prevention mandate as well as
future $ paid out.

But I must say that Resounds words hit the spot in neither being
confrontational nor wishy-washy.

--
sinus

Old June 7th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Brilliant! Adds extra structure to the basic points I wish to make. Can
we utilise this as a basic template for a potential campaign?

It's public domain. Go nuts. Although (being picky) I'd change "There
are an increasing number of cyclists on our roads brought about partly
by recent rises in fuel prices." to "There are an increasing number of
cyclists on our roads, partly due to recent rises in fuel prices.". Or
something. It reads as a bit of a non-sequitur so I'm going to fiddle.
Oh, and if Euan really feels the need to stand me a glass of red, I
won't complain although that wasn't the intent

--
Resound