reaching new heights of idiocy

Old September 12th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default reaching new heights of idiocy

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:33:11 +1000
Resound wrote:

In most cases I'd agree with you, but through a roundabout is definitely a
time to claim the lane. You're going to be there for all of ten seconds and
they can get past after that.

Except the passing happened in a 100m stretch where there appears to
have been room for the car to pass and get ahead. If he'd pulled over
instead of claiming then, it seems the car could have passed safely
and not screamed past, and pulled in hard.

Zebee
Old September 12th 06, 02:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Resound wrote:

In most cases I'd agree with you, but through a roundabout is definitely a
time to claim the lane. You're going to be there for all of ten seconds and
they can get past after that.

Except the passing happened in a 100m stretch where there appears to
have been room for the car to pass and get ahead. If he'd pulled over
instead of claiming then, it seems the car could have passed safely
and not screamed past, and pulled in hard.

Huh? Room beside me, yes; room between me and the car in front of me,
no.

If I'd pulled over, I would have ended up entering the bottom
roundabout beside said idiot... and have to try to merge back into the
(now moving) traffic - much less safe than riding with the flow.

Old September 12th 06, 03:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"DaveH" AnyDave(at)gmail(dot)com wrote in message
Such acts would improve the relationship between motorists and cyclists
and they might think better of them.

I think it's more about letting a potential road rager move on and pick on
someone else. I know I've been guilty of retaliating with the finger or
aggressive behaviour in the past with these jokers and I've since learnt
that's exactly the wrong thing to do if I want to both stay alive and enjoy
my cycling. These days I'm practising doing the opposite with either a
friendly wave or not responding at all. I'd rather focus on my ride rather
than let myself get riled up by some psycho looking for a fight, and a few
seconds out of my day to let some dickhead go by is no real drama and far
less stressful in the long run.
Let 'em go and give 'em no further thought.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old September 12th 06, 03:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 11 Sep 2006 18:46:08 -0700
Duncan wrote:

Huh? Room beside me, yes; room between me and the car in front of me,
no.

If I'd pulled over, I would have ended up entering the bottom
roundabout beside said idiot... and have to try to merge back into the
(now moving) traffic - much less safe than riding with the flow.

OK, if the traffic was travelling so slowly that he couldn't pass in
100m if you had moved immediately once you had left roundabout #1
that's fair enough.

Zebee
Old September 12th 06, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:12:04 GMT
OzCableguy wrote:
aggressive behaviour in the past with these jokers and I've since learnt
that's exactly the wrong thing to do if I want to both stay alive and enjoy
my cycling. These days I'm practising doing the opposite with either a
friendly wave or not responding at all. I'd rather focus on my ride rather

An advantage of the ipod. I can hear traffic and useful sound cues,
idiots yelling are mostly drowned out or otherwise incomprehensible.

Not that I've paid attention to them anyway, life's too short to care
about strangers with issues.

Zebee

Old September 12th 06, 03:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

OzCableguy wrote:
I think it's more about letting a potential road rager move on and pick on
someone else. I know I've been guilty of retaliating with the finger or
aggressive behaviour in the past with these jokers and I've since learnt
that's exactly the wrong thing to do if I want to both stay alive and enjoy
my cycling. These days I'm practising doing the opposite with either a
friendly wave or not responding at all. I'd rather focus on my ride rather
than let myself get riled up by some psycho looking for a fight, and a few
seconds out of my day to let some dickhead go by is no real drama and far
less stressful in the long run.
Let 'em go and give 'em no further thought.

I must say, I've recently (last couple of months) come to the same
conclusion after moving jobs and having a 3x longer commute (now 1hr)
than I had before.

I try to let most idiots on through and ignore any juvenile behaviour..
I think I've also become alot more generous in my attitude towards cars
stuck in traffic...

Unfortunately, this bozo forced the issue and thinking about it a day
later, I still don't know what I could've done differently to avoid the
situation other than pull over to the side of the road the first time
he starting acting up; if I did that ever time a potential idiot drove
up behind me in Sydney peak hour, I'd never get to work.

Old September 12th 06, 04:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

DaveH Wrote:
I'm not saying you did anything "wrong", merely pointing out that you
could have done something "kind" and allowed the dickhead to pass at
the earliest opportunity, waved him through even. . .I agree entirely with what you're saying. Tiny-dick in the dunnydore

probably would have driven away feeling a right knob too.

BUT... it's extremely difficult to act in such a way when one has
encountered such stupidity. I certainly would find it difficult to act
any differently. But I'm going to try the next time someone ****es me
off.

Cheers,
LH

--
LotteBum

Old September 12th 06, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

LotteBum wrote:
DaveH Wrote:
I'm not saying you did anything "wrong", merely pointing out that you
could have done something "kind" and allowed the dickhead to pass at
the earliest opportunity, waved him through even. . .I agree entirely with what you're saying. Tiny-dick in the dunnydore

probably would have driven away feeling a right knob too.

BUT... it's extremely difficult to act in such a way when one has
encountered such stupidity. I certainly would find it difficult to act
any differently. But I'm going to try the next time someone ****es me
off.

Wot, Lotte without her shottie?

Old September 12th 06, 09:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveH

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...

LotteBum wrote:
BUT... it's extremely difficult to act in such a way when one has
encountered such stupidity. I certainly would find it difficult to act
any differently. But I'm going to try the next time someone ****es me
off.

Wot, Lotte without her shottie?

Yeah. . . Just turn the other Cheek. . . :-)

Old September 12th 06, 10:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

DaveH (at dot) wrote:
"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...

LotteBum wrote:
BUT... it's extremely difficult to act in such a way when one has
encountered such stupidity. I certainly would find it difficult to act
any differently. But I'm going to try the next time someone ****es me
off.

Wot, Lotte without her shottie?

Yeah. . . Just turn the other Cheek. . . :-)

In the case of that ute driver, make it a bum cheek.