Your first race next season

Old October 16th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

Default Your first race next season

I can't wait until the road racing season starts up again. I'm gonna
puke on the hills of Lago Vista during the 35+ 4/5 race at La
Primavera (my first race of next season), but it's still gonna be fun.

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?
Old October 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

LawBoy01 wrote:
What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.
Old October 16th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Oct 16, 2:06*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

We've got a velodrome (the "Superdrome") here in Frisco, and I plan on
riding the track this offseason and into the winter (my team paid for
a night of private training during the offseason). But I gotta heal
my back. I pushed it hard, perhaps too hard, in my effort to lose
weight, and got a bulging disk and a sciatic nerve hooked to my L5/S1
joint. Six more weeks of light effort (pretty much no 20+ MPH
training rides. I can do distance and time, but no big ringing it or
pushing hard. So I put a 42 on my road bike, and will stick to 48x16
and above the stayers line on the track.
Old October 16th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life. I
figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

Just don't forget you can't freewheel after your first interval. I almost
came off that way the 1st time I did intervals and sat up without thinking
after finishing an interval.

Old October 16th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
LawBoy01 wrote:

I can't wait until the road racing season starts up again. I'm gonna
puke on the hills of Lago Vista during the 35+ 4/5 race at La
Primavera (my first race of next season), but it's still gonna be fun.

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

Cyclocross until I can't cross no more. Then velodrome.

Old October 16th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

LawBoy01 wrote:
I can't wait until the road racing season starts up again. I'm gonna
puke on the hills of Lago Vista during the 35+ 4/5 race at La
Primavera (my first race of next season), but it's still gonna be fun.

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

I might be racing for the toilet on New Year's morning.
Old October 16th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

wrote:
I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

We've got a velodrome (the "Superdrome") here in Frisco, and I plan on
riding the track this offseason and into the winter (my team paid for
a night of private training during the offseason). But I gotta heal
my back. I pushed it hard, perhaps too hard, in my effort to lose
weight, and got a bulging disk and a sciatic nerve hooked to my L5/S1
joint. Six more weeks of light effort (pretty much no 20+ MPH
training rides. I can do distance and time, but no big ringing it or
pushing hard. So I put a 42 on my road bike, and will stick to 48x16
and above the stayers line on the track.

You'd be better off not riding at all for a while and rehabilitating
your back. Google for McKenzie exercises and get stretching, or there
may be no riding for you next year.
Old October 16th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
LawBoy01 wrote:
What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life. I
figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

Don't rush your condition on the track. Be sure to move into it slowly so
that you develop the proper reactions.

One of our local people took to the track very well and was fast. After only
a couple of weeks they were in a test race and after they won it going
across the line they STOPPED PEDALLING! This threw them over the bars and
onto their head and that's been almost a year now and they're still more or
less in a coma.

The bottom line is that you need to learn how to ride before you think
you're a star. I'd like to hear that you're a star later and not a hospital
case sooner.

Old October 16th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

wrote:
[...]

I am going through PT at the Texas Back Institute in Plano, and don't
do anything without the advice and approval of both my physical
therapist and neurosurgeon. I can ride my bike with the stem flipped
upward and a small gear, but lately all I've been doing is my PT,
weight training, reading "Base Building" by Friel's former underling,
and playing some half-court basketball. I was only recently given the
"O.K." to ride my bike. I've been pedaling 'round da hood on my track
bike with clinchers and a front brake.

Thanks for the advice about stretching. I've been working hard on
increasing my hampstring flexibility, which is less than 90 degrees
right now. That, and working on my core.
Old October 16th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Oct 16, 3:40*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

--
Ryan Cousineau /

I thought about selling my second road bike (a Hans Schneider frameset
that I bought new early this year, just stripped down and had built up
with NOS/VCG Dura Ace bits, including some NOS hubs laced 3x - and
tied and soldered for the looks - to some Mavic tubular rime). If I
do that, I might buy a CX bike. I've never raced CX before. I could
keep my Schneider, and have Hans braze some cantilever mounts on the
frame, but I'd have to get a new fork 'cuz 25c tires are a tight fit
under the fork crown.

Your post gave me an excellent idea, I think...so thanks again!