Charging points for cars but what about electric bicycles?

Old February 26th 10, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Charging points for cars but what about electric bicycles?

Presumably they deliver mains voltage to chargers in the cars but
using hefty plugs instead of the standard three pin. If there was also
a three pin socket they could serve for bikes carrying their own
charger but I bet Boris hasn't thought of that., or doesn't want to.

"London electric car scheme secures £17m funding

London Mayor Boris Johnson has secured £17m for electric car charge
points for the capital.

The money will fund 1,600 charge points over the next twelve months,
increasing to a network of 7,500 charging points by spring 2013,
according to the mayor.

This cash will contribute to the delivery of Mr Johnson's target of
25,000 charge points in London by 2015..."

"...Jenny Jones, Green Party member for the London Assembly, said the
announcement was "a healthy first step".

But she warned: "Electric vehicles are still cars, so they still cause
congestion, disruption, casualties and deaths on the roads."

"They are part of the solution, but don't fix the other problems that
all cars cause"

Murad Qureshi, Labour's environment spokesman on the London Assembly,
said: "We have to be very careful not to get too carried away with
electric vehicles as a panacea for our transport woes.

"The mayor needs to do more to encourage people out of their
cars." ..."

Yeah sure! Instead we have electric car greenwash for petrol-heads
with a conscience..

--
Carfree UK
http://carfree.org.uk/
Old February 26th 10, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

It's good to see you are into recycling, you are now recycling the
thread that you started in November.

You were asked
"Just for a change do some proper research to see if the two systems are
interchangeable, when you find the answer, post it on this ng with a
copy of the note you will be sending to the Mayors Office advising them
of your research results & your suggestions of how the two systems could
operate together*

You replied
"Incompatible plugs/sockets are used. I would rather not campaign at
this stage but instead leave this omission on the part of the Mayor as
mounting evidence of neglect and discrimination against cyclists and
particularly in favour of motorists. "

Has anything changed, have you contacted the Mayors Office?

--
Tony Dragon
Old February 26th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 26 Feb, 07:09, Tony Dragon wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

You are quite wrong as usual. This is in response to yesterdays
announcement.

Since when am I not supposed to comment on current news?

You were asked
"Just for a change do some proper research to see if the two systems are
interchangeable, when you find the answer, post it on this ng with a
copy of the note you will be sending to the Mayors Office advising them
of your research results & your suggestions of how the two systems could
operate together*

You replied
"Incompatible plugs/sockets are used. I would rather not campaign at
this stage but instead leave this omission on the part of the Mayor as
mounting evidence of neglect and discrimination against cyclists and
particularly in favour of motorists. "

Has anything changed,

Yes it has been given funding and is expanding.

have you contacted the Mayors Office?

No. Have you? I notice you don't actually make a constructive
contribution to this topic. I wonder why? When did you last use a
bicycle?

Old February 26th 10, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

It's a bit of a non-issue isn't it? I mean if you really need to charge
up at work you can wheel the bicycle in to the office and charge it
there. Also if you run out of juice you can still pedal home, or put
the leccy bike in a taxi.

I would image all the g-wiz drivers would get pretty annoyed if all the
charging points were taken up with people charging their bicycles all
day. If it's ever going to be something useful to do, then it would be
more effective use of space to provide the charging points for the bikes
at the bike racks.
--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 26th 10, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

Comment as much as you like, but you did not state you were responding
to a recent report.

You were asked
"Just for a change do some proper research to see if the two systems are
interchangeable, when you find the answer, post it on this ng with a
copy of the note you will be sending to the Mayors Office advising them
of your research results & your suggestions of how the two systems could
operate together*

You replied
"Incompatible plugs/sockets are used. I would rather not campaign at
this stage but instead leave this omission on the part of the Mayor as
mounting evidence of neglect and discrimination against cyclists and
particularly in favour of motorists. "

Has anything changed,

Yes it has been given funding and is expanding.

Well that seems like a good idea.

have you contacted the Mayors Office?

No. Have you? I notice you don't actually make a constructive
contribution to this topic. I wonder why? When did you last use a
bicycle?

--
Carfree UK
http://carfree.org.uk/
Promoting carfree development and its environmental, social, financial
and health benefits.

No I haven't contacted the Mayors Office, but I do not own an electric
bike, you do, so if it's important to you do something about it, you're
always on about campaigning about other things.

But how difficult is it to charge an electric bike, a colleague has
started using one & just wheels it into a storeroom & plugs it in.

--
Tony Dragon
Old February 26th 10, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 26 Feb, 07:49, Jim A wrote:
It's a bit of a non-issue isn't it? *I mean if you really need to charge
up at work you can wheel the bicycle in to the office and charge it
there.

They don't always allow bicycles in the office.

*Also if you run out of juice you can still pedal home, or put
the leccy bike in a taxi.

But it could extend the range.

I would image all the g-wiz drivers would get pretty annoyed if all the
charging points were taken up with people charging their bicycles all
day. *If it's ever going to be something useful to do, then it would be
more effective use of space to provide the charging points for the bikes
at the bike racks.

Good idea!

--www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

Doug..
Old February 26th 10, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 26 Feb, 06:30, Doug wrote:
Presumably they deliver mains voltage to chargers in the cars but
using hefty plugs instead of the standard three pin. If there was also
a three pin socket they could serve for bikes carrying their own
charger but I bet Boris hasn't thought of that., or doesn't want to.

Christ, you are a whinging old turd, aren't you Gollum?
Old February 26th 10, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:30:41 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

snip
Murad Qureshi, Labour's environment spokesman on the London Assembly,
said: "We have to be very careful not to get too carried away with
electric vehicles as a panacea for our transport woes.

"The mayor needs to do more to encourage people out of their
cars." ..."

Yeah sure! Instead we have electric car greenwash for petrol-heads
with a conscience..

So, we are being told that there is a real danger that we will see
power cuts in the not-too-distant future because successive
governments (well, mainly this shower since 1997) have not taken the
necessary decisions to ensure the power stations can meet the demand.
(It's largely irrelevant whether that should be done by managing the
supply or the demand, the effect is the same).

So now, apparently, we're going to shove lots of the transport power
requirements on to the power stations as well.
From a pollution viewpoint all it does, as far as I can see, is to
move the pollution out of the cities to the power stations, even if
the power stations can match the demand.

So why is it a good idea, Boris? I feel sure, as a dedicated cyclist,
Boris reads this NG. Boris, Boris, hello, Boris?
Old February 26th 10, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 26 Feb, 07:49, Jim A wrote:
It's a bit of a non-issue isn't it? �I mean if you really need to charge
up at work

^^^^^
Ah, there's the bit where Doug will fail to understand your post.
Old February 26th 10, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Doug wrote:
Presumably they deliver mains voltage to chargers in the cars but
using hefty plugs instead of the standard three pin. If there was also
a three pin socket they could serve for bikes carrying their own
charger but I bet Boris hasn't thought of that., or doesn't want to.

Ever heard the expression 'he who pays the piper calls the tune'?

SNIP

****ing hell. Is she Dougs mum or something?

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

United charging $350 r/t for bicycles Mike Jacoubowsky General 39 October 25th 08 02:11 AM
Electric Car Conversion Companies: Alternatives To Gas Powered Cars n41beyha Unicycling 0 November 27th 07 05:40 PM
An Electric Car Conversion Kit Will Not Affect Your Cars Speed OrPick-Up n41beyha Techniques 0 November 27th 07 05:19 PM
Electric Bicycles [email protected] UK 0 April 12th 07 05:59 PM
Do bicycles and cars mix? Pete Social Issues 0 July 18th 03 01:10 AM