fork for old steel frame

Old May 11th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Default fork for old steel frame

Any suggestions for a CF fork for an older steel frame? Maybe one
that suits the older asthetic. I know I'll need a new headset unless
I go threaded. Also, should I look for a steel steerer? Hincapie's
fork incident made me wonder about the newer materials. Thanks

Old May 11th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
mtb Dad wrote:

Any suggestions for a CF fork for an older steel frame? Maybe one
that suits the older asthetic. I know I'll need a new headset unless
I go threaded. Also, should I look for a steel steerer? Hincapie's
fork incident made me wonder about the newer materials. Thanks

Hincapie's fork was a low-end Trek fork with a metal body, steel or
aluminum I can't recall. I think they used it for better (mud) clearance
around the tire and brakes.

As for the CF fork, you can probably find an older one with CF legs and
a threaded steel steer tube: I have such a beast (a Trek) on one of my
old steel bikes.

In fact, I found a more suitable fork for that bike, so make me an
offer...

Old May 11th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

mtb Dad wrote:

Any suggestions for a CF fork for an older steel frame? Maybe one
that suits the older asthetic. I know I'll need a new headset unless
I go threaded. Also, should I look for a steel steerer? Hincapie's
fork incident made me wonder about the newer materials. Thanks

That will be tricky to find unless you are willing to switch to a
threadless headset and stem at the same time.

What's your objective here? Do you just need a replacement, or is
there some improvement you are trying to make? Old-fashioned lugged
steel forks are hard to beat for ride quality and reliability, in my
experience. They are also comparatively forgiving in the ways that
they fail. CFRP forks are a lot lighter, though. For a 1" steer
tube, steel is best-- aluminum is much more flexible and crack-prone,
carbon/plastic is easily damaged by normal installation techniques.
Both aluminum and carbon/plastic steer tubes are compatible only with
threadless headsets.

Chalo

Old May 11th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On May 11, 4:11 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Hincapie's head tube was aluminum. Poor guy.

/s

Old May 11th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

That will be tricky to find unless you are willing to switch to a
threadless headset and stem at the same time.

What's your objective here? Do you just need a replacement, or is
there some improvement you are trying to make? Old-fashioned lugged
steel forks are hard to beat for ride quality and reliability, in my
experience. They are also comparatively forgiving in the ways that
they fail. CFRP forks are a lot lighter, though. For a 1" steer
tube, steel is best-- aluminum is much more flexible and crack-prone,
carbon/plastic is easily damaged by normal installation techniques.
Both aluminum and carbon/plastic steer tubes are compatible only with
threadless headsets.

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/

I put Martec in google and found raves about their obsession with QA
so I bought an M2 and an M8.

-dl

Old May 11th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

mtb Dad wrote:
Any suggestions for a CF fork for an older steel frame? Maybe one
that suits the older asthetic. I know I'll need a new headset unless
I go threaded. Also, should I look for a steel steerer?

If it is "older", I presume it is a 1" headset. I don't like the idea
of 1" carbon steerers.

I love my Wound-up forks. I had to get one when I damaged the old fork
drilling out a stuck stem, and liked it so much I got another for my
fixed gear. Solid, strong, stiff. I like the appearance, though some
don't. Not cheap, but I think it was worth it and I am unusually cheap.

These may be available with an aluminum steerer, but I went for steel
for strengh. The crown is "lugged", which might blend better with the
old steel frame than some fake-aero bladed thing.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old May 12th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Chalo wrote:
That will be tricky to find unless you are willing to switch to a
threadless headset and stem at the same time.

What's your objective here? Do you just need a replacement, or is
there some improvement you are trying to make? Old-fashioned lugged
steel forks are hard to beat for ride quality and reliability, in my
experience. They are also comparatively forgiving in the ways that
they fail. CFRP forks are a lot lighter, though. For a 1" steer
tube, steel is best-- aluminum is much more flexible and crack-prone,
carbon/plastic is easily damaged by normal installation techniques.
Both aluminum and carbon/plastic steer tubes are compatible only with
threadless headsets.

Mostly right.

We actually weighed forks and found that a CrMo top/CF blade fork is
about average, not light, compared to handmade steel forks. An aluminum
column puts you among the lightest steel forks.

So, yes, a carbon fork _can_ be lighter, not all are.

Threaded carbon forks are no longer produced, suddenly rare.

I agree that unless something's broken the original fork's best.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 12th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

A Muzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Old-fashioned lugged
steel forks are hard to beat for ride quality and reliability, in my
experience. They are also comparatively forgiving in the ways that
they fail. CFRP forks are a lot lighter, though.

Mostly right.

We actually weighed forks and found that a CrMo top/CF blade fork is
about average, not light, compared to handmade steel forks. An aluminum
column puts you among the lightest steel forks.

I can't say as I've had much experience with light handmade steel
forks. I'm not sure I'd trust one if I had one, either. The road
forks I do have some experience with are OEM Tange lugged forks and
the like. They work OK for me as long as the front braking is kept
modest.

So, yes, a carbon fork _can_ be lighter, not all are.

Threaded carbon forks are no longer produced, suddenly rare.

Why do neither of these things surprise me?

Chalo

Old May 12th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 11, 11:56 am, mtb Dad wrote:
Any suggestions for a CF fork for an older steel frame? Maybe one
that suits the older asthetic. I know I'll need a new headset unless
I go threaded. Also, should I look for a steel steerer? Hincapie's
fork incident made me wonder about the newer materials. Thanks

Profile makes steel threaded carbon forks as does Wound-up. Or any
aluminum steerer for threadless. I wouldn't not get an aluminum
steerer because of the fork thing at Paris Roubaix. Just about
everything 'bike', of any material, has broken there at one time or
another.

Old May 12th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Think Profile and Woundup still make 'em. I have one of each on my
Gunnar and Moots(yes with inserts to use a 1 inch threaded HS..for all
of you that will want to say, " I thought the headtube was 1
1/8inch...etc..did it for ti quill stems I have")