Great Nascar "cheating" comment.

Old March 8th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Great Nascar "cheating" comment.

http://tinyurl.com/ysfdo6

And if NASCAR had changed the rules, disqualified Edwards and declared
Earnhardt the winner last Sunday?

"It wouldn't matter to me because that wouldn't be a great way to win
one," Earnhardt said. "I wouldn't find happiness or pride in that, so
it makes no difference to me. When it comes down to it, you line them
up and you race and the guy that crosses the finish line first is the
winner. If you got out-cheated, you didn't do your homework -- you know
what I mean? You didn't do your homework."

Bill C
Old March 8th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Baldwin

And if NASCAR had changed the rules, disqualified Edwards and
declared Earnhardt the winner last Sunday?
"It wouldn't matter to me because that wouldn't be a
great way to win one," Earnhardt said. "I wouldn't find
happiness or pride in that, so it makes no difference
to me. When it comes down to it, you line
them up and you race and the guy that crosses
the finish line first is the winner. If you got
out-cheated, you didn't do your homework -- you know what
I mean? You didn't do your homework."
Bill C&v

Yep, Junior's right. I raced a short track series that had a engine
claim rule. Simple rule. Protester puts up cash and his engine in
exchange for yours.
One night, the local hammerhead claimed our engine. We got his $1200
dollars and 355 roller cam engine. He got our 305 smog motor. Had he
done his "homework" he would have known he was getting beat by geometry
_not_ horsepower.
The bad thing was, after this incident _everyone_ was convinced we were
bending the rules "somewhere". Not at all unlike the Lance Armstrong
syndrome.
There's an old adage in stockcar racing, "It ain't cheat'in till y'all
get caught." Rule book interpretation is just another aspect of
motorsport racing. Real racers just line'em up & go like Junior says.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 8th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

On Mar 8, 10:10*am, (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
[...]

The word "nascar" is getting used *way* too much in here ... next
thing you know, you dumbasses will be talking about drinking Busch
Old March 8th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

On Mar 8, 2:33*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
bar wrote:
[...]

Busch is no longer associated with NASCAR; the series they used to
sponsor is now the Nationwide (an insurance company) Series.

So it's just cell phones and insurance policies, no cigarettes and no beer..

referring to Busch as 'beer' is a stretch methinks. Hooegarden it
ain't.
Old March 8th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

bar wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I've never tried it, so maybe I mis-characterized it. *All the
beer I've ever sipped tasted like p__s to me, though.

And you know this how?

Joseph
Old March 9th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Michael Baldwin) wrote:

[...]

I totally agree with this, but in racing (especially claiming racing,
which is an awful lot of beer league racing) the rules on how cheating
is enforced are pretty straightforward.

NASCAR has essentially that attitude about rules-bending as well, though
they have become much more transparent about how they enforce and test
rules violations.

http://www.gnextinc.com/nascar/news/fines.html

And the fines are pretty high.

They also come down much more heavily on violations with a safety
element to them.

I don't think of doping as fundamentally a "homework" violation, though.
I think of doping as most fundamentally a safety violation, and one that
can have pernicious consequences. It's bad if your doping gives you
health problems; it's worse if your doping induces formerly clean racers
to either dope or drop out of racing.

Old March 9th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Baldwin

Ryan writes

I don't think of doping as fundamentally a "homework" violation,
though. I think of doping as most fundamentally a safety
violation, and one that can have pernicious consequences. It's bad
if your doping gives you health problems; it's worse if
your doping induces formerly clean racers to either dope or
drop out of racing.

I agree with your safety aspect and the erosion factor as well.

Not like blood doping but...back in the early 80's a local guy was
tearing up the dirt sprint car tracks with a phenomenal flat foot style.
Seems he was snorting a line or two just before the start of each 30
lap feature. As word circulated regarding this practice, more and more
competitors were refusing to race with him. Through the course of the
season as fellow racer entries dropped off, so did spectator attendance.
Track owners and promotors finally confronted the guy about his habit,
now turned addiction.
Today, now in his 50's this guy is a huge anti-drug advocate for local
youth groups.
It's been said here before. Pro cyclists own the doping problem.
Even the clean racers who turned a blind eye regarding dopers. It's
about leadership or in this case the lack of.
That's what I find so mysterious about pro athletes and performance
enhancing drugs. You'd think they be the last group in society to
tolerate and condone the practice.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 9th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Michael Baldwin) wrote:

Ryan writes

[...]

Pro athletes almost never make it to The Show based on their wisdom.
Indeed, the process of becoming a pro athlete (and I say this as
someone, who, if I could have a do-over, would totally start bike racing
in my teens and try to make it as far as I could) may select against
wisdom and proportionality. After all, you have to think that getting
the ball/puck/bike into the net/goal/finish is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
IN THE WORLD in order to become great.

I also think that there's a certain sense of invincibility and cockiness
that is fairly natural to a kind of personality that is common in elite
athletes.

A good description of this is in Michael "Moneyball" Lewis' latest book,
"The Blind Side." He spends a fair bit of that book describing the
career of supremely talented and confident linebacker Lawrence Taylor,
who was a coke-head. For LT, according to the book, cocaine was
essentially something he liked and was confident he could control.

"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild,
reckless, and abandoned off the field and being that way on the field."

Here's an excerpt from "The Blind Side" which describes the most famous
play of LT's career, when he hits all-star quarterback Joe Theismann so
hard he breaks his leg and ends his career:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6241687

And if that description isn't enough for you, heeere's YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8SZOqc6Pk

That weird click you hear at the moment of the tackle is two of
Theismann's leg bones breaking. The reverse angle shows the break
clearly.

I strongly recommend the book.

Old March 9th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Baldwin

Ryan writes;

And if that description isn't enough for you, heeere's YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8SZOqc6Pk
That weird click you hear at the moment of the
tackle is two of Theismann's leg bones breaking. The reverse
angle shows the break clearly.

yep, I was watching via good'ol analog TV.

Well back on point. I appreciate your insight and input.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 9th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 8, 11:10*am, (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
*I raced a short track series that had a engine
claim rule. *

Mike,

In your experience do folks claim the motor more often because they
think the other guy is cheating or as a way to disrupt a team that has
been winning? I used to follow Modifieds and SKs back in the late
1980s and costs were getting out of control. Have always thought that
claims racing is a neat way to get a handle on racing costs.

Can you imagine how much fun this would be in a local crit series?

"Here's $1000 for your bike. Thanks for the $6000 wheelset. Dumbass".

Mark