Yesterday's exercise

Old April 22nd 20, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Yesterday's exercise

On 22/04/2020 08:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/04/2020 07:27, soup wrote:
On 21/04/2020 13:27, TMS320 wrote:

In my original piece I was alluding to once wide tree lined avenues
of elegant town houses.

Too much Oliver! watching.Â* :O)

I live in Edinburgh (well on the outskirts now: Balerno) a lot of
the 'new town' (the 'old town was a completely different kettle of
fish where they threw their 'waste' out the window onto the VERY
narrow street below)could be described like that.Â* It would be great
to think of them as being frequented by one 'Hansom' an hour and the
rest of the time as "wide tree lined avenues ofÂ* elegant town
houses".Â* However I am fairly sure they had problems with horses
too.

My piece was about the opportunity of being able to travel along those
old roads and observe the physical remains. Yes, I think it was
reasonable to use the word 'decline'. Because it clearly has.

I will add that a lot of streets with terraced houses still survive.
Although full of parked cars, they are not wide enough that they could
ever have been blighted with through traffic.
Old April 22nd 20, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

JNugent wrote:

On 21/04/2020 15:04, Kelly wrote:

There is every chance that a good person who takes up cycling will
remain a good person, in the same way that you would expect a well
known idiot to still be one, in all probability, even if they happened
to be riding a bicycle. This is not rocket surgery, in the wise words
of a member of this flock, yet I continue to be amazed at how quick so
many drivers, in particular, are to condemn cyclists as one stereo-
typical mass.

Nice one. :-)

That's generous and kind - thank you.

Old April 22nd 20, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 22/04/2020 00:27, Pamela wrote:
On 13:22 20 Apr 2020, Kelly said:

That's another thing, with so little of anybody else around, little
indiscreations that you wouldn't normally dream of making can now be
undertaken with a feeling of almost complete freedom

As a rule, cyclists need no encouragement to act indiscreetly and many do
so all the time. This is one of the reasons cyclists are so disliked, by
motorists and pedestrians alike.

because there is no one else to mind or be bothered. This is what it
must have been like in the Black and White movie days before the
explosion of cars and the swell people - and we can presently live it in
glorious colour.

And by other bicyclists.

Old April 22nd 20, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 17:29 21 Apr 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 3:35:30 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:51 21 Apr 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:28:06 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:22 20 Apr 2020, Kelly said:

That's another thing, with so little of anybody else around,
little indiscreations that you wouldn't normally dream of making
can now be undertaken with a feeling of almost complete freedom

As a rule, cyclists need no encouragement to act indiscreetly and
many do so all the time. This is one of the reasons cyclists are so
disliked, by motorists and pedestrians alike.

Unlike this group of law abiding citizens?

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig
zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by
inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no
car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking
on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed
monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light
abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted
windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way
street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane
abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke
and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash
fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight
limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having
control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night,
no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban,
without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra
etc - ran out of space

How does any of that alter the accuracy of what I wrote?

It doesn't - it just puts things into perspective.

Why not start a new thread about motorists because this one is about
cycling. I mentioned, as a rule, cyclists need no encouragement to act
indiscreetly and many do so all the time. You don't disagree.

Old April 22nd 20, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/04/2020 13:49, Pamela wrote:

Why not start a new thread about motorists because this one is about
cycling. I mentioned, as a rule, cyclists need no encouragement to act
indiscreetly and many do so all the time. You don't disagree.

An interesting use of the word 'indiscreetly'.
Old May 8th 20, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 14:10:09 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

Countries that remain civilised by having shops that shut
occasionally can sometimes still give this feel.

I used to cycle around Bristol in dead of night, nobody around but a
few drunks sleeping on benches in the centre - I don't suppose it's
often that quiet these days.

It seems like only yesterday! colwyn[_2_] UK 2 July 11th 15 11:57 AM
Big Mig yesterday Fabrizio Mazzoleni Racing 6 January 24th 08 02:04 AM
hit by car yesterday Garry from Cork UK 68 September 5th 07 10:38 PM
Who got wet yesterday? Iain Jones UK 3 May 8th 05 10:35 AM
RR: Yesterday Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 34 January 14th 05 05:22 PM