Dura Ace STI defective?

Old January 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dura Ace STI defective?

I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

Thanks - Joel

Old January 12th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

False alarm - I wan't pushing on the inner lever hard enough to release
the mechanism. Now the brake lever rotates in about 2 inches.

Old January 12th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

They're very dangerous. Send 'em to me for safety's sake...

:-D

Old January 12th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

I suggest trading for some Shimano bar-end shifters.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

Old January 12th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

Joel wrote:
I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

I suggest trading for some Shimano bar-end shifters.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

Bar End Queens, at it again. Sheeesh.....!

Old January 12th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Joel wrote:
I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

I suggest trading for some Shimano bar-end shifters.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

Or some Campagnolo ergo and rear derailleur....:-lo

Old January 12th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I have a brand new pair of ST-7800 Dura Ace shifters still in the box.
I was examining the left shifter lever. When I push in on the brake
lever which would shift the front up to big chainring, the lever only
moves about 1 inch at the end of the lever and the mechanism makes one
click sound. When I push on the inner lever nothing much seems to
happen. I can't believe that small of a movement is going to be enough
to shift the front derailleur. Is this lever defective or am I missing
something?

Thanks - Joel

Probably when you install the lever and inner wire all will be OK, Make
sure the shifter is in the 'small ring' position before you install the
cable!!!", The spring of the front der will show it's probably OK. All
lever mounted shifters, with all the springs and doo-dads in them can
feel a little wierd not on a bicycle.