RSX Front shifter

Old January 29th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default RSX Front shifter

I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and frame
tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has become
erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well documented on
this group and in other forums. I have done all the recommended fixes but
no help so need to renew the component. Last time I took a bike to bits it
had friction levers on the front tube, so this is a whole new ball game to
me. I don't have a LBS so have to buy online, but the variety and choice is
overwhelming.

Just what do I look for as a search term. Shimano RSX seems to throw up
everything but what I actually want, or am I being incredibly thick. The
front is a triple, and the shifter is combined with the brake lever.

I'm no luddite, but I can't help feeling the old style gears, friction, no
indexing etc were far less trouble, or am I getting old.

Thanks for any advice
Bill

Old January 29th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bill wrote:
I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and frame
tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has become
erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well documented on
this group and in other forums. I have done all the recommended fixes but
no help so need to renew the component. Last time I took a bike to bits it
had friction levers on the front tube, so this is a whole new ball game to
me. I don't have a LBS so have to buy online, but the variety and choice is
overwhelming.

What are the recommended fixes? I have the same issue which appears to
be alleviated for a while by spraying liberally with WD40/GT85 whilst
working the system.

...d

Old January 29th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"David Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill wrote:
I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and frame
tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has
become
erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well documented
on
this group and in other forums. I have done all the recommended fixes

What are the recommended fixes? I have the same issue which appears to
be alleviated for a while by spraying liberally with WD40/GT85 whilst
working the system.

That's about it. I even tried a high pressure air hose at work followed by
WD40, made no difference at all. Gotta be a new'un, and it's gonna cost, I
can feel it my water!!

Old January 29th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bill wrote:
I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and frame
tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has
become
erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well documented
on
this group and in other forums. I have done all the recommended fixes

What are the recommended fixes? I have the same issue which appears to
be alleviated for a while by spraying liberally with WD40/GT85 whilst
working the system.

That's about it. I even tried a high pressure air hose at work followed by
WD40, made no difference at all. Gotta be a new'un, and it's gonna cost, I
can feel it my water!!

I have RSX shifters (STI) they have worked faultlessly for 7 years, I
imagine when they go they go. They are now unobtainable, the current 7
speed alternative is Sora (vastly inferior) about £70 a pair. E bay
often have left or right only shifters; could be your best bet. Have
you tried Shimano for a replacement tumbler? (although taking it apart
is likely to result in a search around the kitchen floor for small
bits). But if it's shot might be worth a try.

Old January 29th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bill wrote:
I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and
frame tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has
become erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well
documented on this group and in other forums. I have done all the
recommended fixes but no help so need to renew the component. Last
time I took a bike to bits it had friction levers on the front tube,
so this is a whole new ball game to me. I don't have a LBS so have
to buy online, but the variety and choice is overwhelming.

Just what do I look for as a search term. Shimano RSX seems to throw
up everything but what I actually want, or am I being incredibly
thick. The front is a triple, and the shifter is combined with the
brake lever.

I think you are suffering from obselete bits. At 5 years the bits on your
bike are obselete as far as the parts makers are concerned. Yes, you will
still be able to find stuff which works, but what was bought back then bears
no resemblence to what is in the catelogues now.

I'm no luddite, but I can't help feeling the old style gears,
friction, no indexing etc were far less trouble, or am I getting old.

If wanting a new combined brake/gear lever for the left brake lever & front
gear changer, then you'll have to search around for someone with just that
part for sale. Most retailers sell the levers in pairs, and you get the
right had lever as well. Those levers are complex and expensive.
Pretty much any Shimano lever will work for the left, so long as its for a
triple mech. For the rear, you need the right number of sprockets (8,9,10).
Price depends a bit on quality, a bit on weight, with a law of diminishing
returns as the price rises. From £90 per pair, though I would pay a little
more to avoid the most budget of models. There is the option of swapping
to Campag shifters (significantly cheaper entry prices), but you need to do
some research as to which Campag shifters will work with which Shimano
mechanisms.

Alternatives:
Frame tube shifter for the front mech alone, leaving the rear mech
controlled by the RH brake lever (and not be in bad company, L.Armstrong was
using such on last year's Tour de France). You need to check that there is
a threaded boss on the frame for this (it will be where the gear cable swaps
from being in the flexible tube, to running down the frame; if you can
unscrew/unbolt a fixing you probably have the correct fitting).
Almost any shift lever will do for the front mech, though if changing the
rear as well, you will need to match the number of sprockets. Shop price
for good quality new is around £35 per pair.

Bar-end shifters, which fit on the end of the drop bars. They are popular
with touring bikes due to their robustness, yet not needing such a big reach
as a frame shifter. For just the front, any model will do. If swapping
the rear as well, then it needs to match the number of cogs on the back.
Shop price for good quality items is around £40 per pair.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old January 29th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bill wrote:

It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has become
erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well documented on
this group and in other forums....

Just what do I look for as a search term. Shimano RSX seems to throw up
everything but what I actually want, or am I being incredibly thick. The
front is a triple, and the shifter is combined with the brake lever.

First thing, check that the cable runs freely.You'll have to undo it
from the front mech end, then push/pull it out a little from the gear
changer.If it is a little stiff, then chuck it, and buy a new one for
around £3(get the complete cable, not just the inner).If it is stiff,
then that may be the cause of your problem.

If the cable is moving freely, and you have sprayed plenty of WD into
the shifter, then it is likely to be knackered, and a new one will be
required.
Unlike Campagnolo shifters, Shimano ones are not repairable, so you'll
need a new one.Ebay, or look in the ads in Cycling Weekly for a new one.
SJS Cycles have a Modolo left hand shifter for £25:
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item5621.htm
It is different in appearance to your current one, but will work fine,
ebay has a few on at the mo.
Alan.
Old January 29th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
I have a Dawes Giro 300, the older type with conventional frame and
frame tubes. (circa 2000).
It is equipped with Shimano RSX components, and the front shifter has
become erratic, obviously the little pawl not catching which is well
documented on this group and in other forums. I have done all the
recommended fixes but no help so need to renew the component.

Thanks for advice/suggestions.
I have just found on the US Ebay a brand new left hand RSX shifter/brake
lever, exactly what I want. It cost a bit, but probably not as much as
changing everything else to match new levers.

Just in case anyone's remotely interested!!

Bill