Frame Pump Question

Old May 19th 04, 03:17 AM
Kerry Nikolaisen

Default Frame Pump Question

Hey folks hope you can help me with this.

When I purchased my road bike in 1999, I also purchased a Topeak Einstein
Mini-pump. The bracket to hold this pump is tightened down by the water
bottle cage screws. The pump is "clipped" into its plastic holder on the
left side of the downtube.

The problem is that the head of the pump, which must be at the top (or it
won't clip in properly) turns as I ride. The rougher the pavement, the more
often it turns and, thus, contacts the downtube. Over three years it has
scratched an area just less than the size of a penny.

Eventually I want to touch this area up, but first I am hoping for a
solution to the pump problem (aside from replacement). (Actually - the pump
is one of the best small size pumps I have ever had.

Thanks for your comments.

Kerry L. Nikolaisen

Old May 19th 04, 01:01 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:17:19 -0500, "Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i
k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t wrote:
The problem is that the head of the pump, which must be at the top (or it
won't clip in properly) turns as I ride. The rougher the pavement, the more
often it turns and, thus, contacts the downtube. Over three years it has
scratched an area just less than the size of a penny.

Eventually I want to touch this area up, but first I am hoping for a
solution to the pump problem

Put a tube patch on the frame where the pump meets it...protects
both the frame and the pump from abrasion.

Maybe a rubber band can hold the head in place.
--
Rick Onanian