Could Ford's emoji jacket save the lives of cyclists in London?

Old February 6th 20, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Could Ford's emoji jacket save the lives of cyclists in London?

QUOTE:
Cycling is a great way to get around a city: you get to experience more on the roads and it’s an easy way to sneak some exercise into your commute.

Yet safety concerns are one of the main reasons people choose not to get on their bikes. A survey in 2018 found that nearly 75 per cent of women in seven UK cities have never cycled for a local journey because they don’t feel safe. In London, the total number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on roads increased by 83 per cent in 2018. A TfL report in 2019 said that more cyclists were killed or seriously injured as a result of collisions with cars.

Carmaker Ford has been working on a prototype to make things safer for both cyclists and drivers by allowing them to communicate more easily. The idea? An emoji jacket

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/ford...-a4355131.html
Old February 6th 20, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/02/2020 12:52, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
Cycling is a great way to get around a city: you get to experience more on the roads and it’s an easy way to sneak some exercise into your commute.

Yet safety concerns are one of the main reasons people choose not to get on their bikes. A survey in 2018 found that nearly 75 per cent of women in seven UK cities have never cycled for a local journey because they don’t feel safe. In London, the total number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on roads increased by 83 per cent in 2018. A TfL report in 2019 said that more cyclists were killed or seriously injured as a result of collisions with cars.

Carmaker Ford has been working on a prototype to make things safer for both cyclists and drivers by allowing them to communicate more easily. The idea? An emoji jacket

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/ford...-a4355131.html

Will it make the bike go faster?

Will it make the wearer look "cool" in his/her own mind?

Will it cost money?
Old February 6th 20, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 06/02/2020 13:06, JNugent wrote:
[...]

and how will it help all those cyclists that ride up the inside at
junctions and get squashed? Showing an annoying image on your back just
makes you a target, not safer in any way. Was Simon wearing one with a
sad face when he jumped in front of a truck? Would it have helped in
any way at all?

A shark image and the jaws music on the front might save some of the
poor souls that have to cross the road in London.
Old February 6th 20, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 06/02/2020 13:59, MrCheerful wrote:

A shark image and the jaws music on the front might save some of the
poor souls that have to cross the road in London.

The only way to save some of the poor souls that have to cross the road
*anywhere* would be for drivers to take more care.

Old February 6th 20, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:48:40 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

The only way to save some of the poor souls that have to cross the road
*anywhere* would be for drivers to take more care.

I have seen FOUR oncoming drivers talking into mobile phones today, so the current penalties for that offence can't be a deterrent.

Old February 6th 20, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 6:08:17 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:48:40 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

The only way to save some of the poor souls that have to cross the
road *anywhere* would be for drivers to take more care.

I have seen FOUR oncoming drivers talking into mobile phones today,
so the current penalties for that offence can't be a deterrent.

Like **** you have.

Four drivers in 36 miles is not unusual.
Old February 6th 20, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:48:40 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

The only way to save some of the poor souls that have to cross the
road *anywhere* would be for drivers to take more care.

I have seen FOUR oncoming drivers talking into mobile phones today,
so the current penalties for that offence can't be a deterrent.

Like **** you have.

Four drivers in 36 miles is not unusual.

********. You are so bored that you are just looking for replies to your
trolling and making things up.
This is a cycling group, not a driving group. I'm a driver, but if I post
anything here it is always to do with cycling, not driving.
Post something on cycling, not driving. You are getting as bad as Bod.

Old February 6th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:48:40 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

The only way to save some of the poor souls that have to cross the
road *anywhere* would be for drivers to take more care.

I have seen FOUR oncoming drivers talking into mobile phones today,
so the current penalties for that offence can't be a deterrent.

Like **** you have.

Four drivers in 36 miles is not unusual.

********. You are so bored that you are just looking for replies to your
trolling and making things up.
This is a cycling group, not a driving group. I'm a driver, but if I post
anything here it is always to do with cycling, not driving.
Post something on cycling, not driving. You are getting as bad as Bod.

Those four did not include many more who were staring down at their laps thus not looking where they were going, so I suspect there were more than four in reality.

You also post about walking your dog on here with your chisel for protection, so maybe your should post in a walking group instead of here?
Old February 6th 20, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Walking my dog was relevant to my postings here. Your silly made up driving
postings are not relevant to a cycling group.

helmets save lives AMuzi Techniques 10 May 26th 17 04:46 AM
'Ban Cycling, Save Lives' ... Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen UK 0 April 24th 16 03:27 PM
Cycle lanes save lives POHB UK 2 July 18th 07 11:44 AM
Bicycle helmet law can save lives Garrison Hilliard General 146 May 19th 04 05:42 AM
Law on cycle helmets 'would save lives' Mucco UK 14 May 18th 04 12:52 PM